• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Do people really like Discrafts slick plastic?

dekdo

Double Eagle Member
I always thought their plastic was way too slick. I feel like i would need to use spider tack in order to actually throw it if i had to.

I say this as someone who prefers jolly launcher, italian c-line, similar s-line blends, prodigy and lucid plastic from DD. Feel is important and i cant be throwing anything slick like that. Anyone else?

Some of the z plastic I have had, definitely was too slippery. It does vary though, since some others I have tried have been great. The slick z is even worse in the cold, and yes my shelved z meteor I am thinking of you, and no you can't come back into the bag!

I have noticed their ESP plastic feels more slick than most runs of Star. I hear it gets grippy as it beats in, though I haven't really noticed it with my Zones. Z Buzzzes are too good so I don't mind using Z plastic for them. Big Z seems to be the absolute worst thing ever.

The new Italian C-Line/Opto Ice is very nice. Seems it's going to hold up its stability over time. Opto/Goldline from Trilogy is grippy and gummy sure, but loses its stability too fast.

I'm on the same page. I think Discraft is a clear step behind every other manufacturer (that I've tried) when it comes to plastic. I've thrown a lot of their discs though and sometimes there are exceptions, but there's no telling when that'll be the case. They also have a gazillion different special blends which doesn't make it easier.

Z and ESP are much slicker than I prefer for drivers. Oddly slick feeling for me tbh. I like it, or deal with it maybe, for wasps, buzzzes and comets because they're money. Discraft's premium plastics hold their stability for a stupid long time though in my experience. ESP seems to gain some grippiness quicker than Z, but I prefer star personally.

I'm in the minority here I'm sure, but I like the grip of ESP, especially the '22 TS versions. I'm actually having a hard time with all the translucent plastics, besides the Italian C-Line. I actually prefer the more durable (and therefore usually more OS) plastics for FHs, and that's true with only my Buzzz/Comet/Chameleon being BH majority of my Z/Champ/Opto type stuff, everything else is predominantly used for FHs (Tilt/CapRap/PD/Toro) or split (FD). I've always seemed to prefer ESP/Star/Goldline or midgrade stuff for my BHs, but Z/Champ/Opto for my FHs. I have no idea why that is but it seems to be consistent, with only pearly/metallic versions of the "translucent" plastics being able to be used for workhorse BH stuff.

I've always been able to FH ESP/Star but usually gravitated towards the most OS stuff which is usually Z/Champ, but recently have been absolutely bombing ESP Forces/Star Destroyers/Grand Rives for FH distance, but still rely on a Metallic Z Captains Raptor for my FHs which need placement over distance.

The stock Z and ESP are useless most of the year. . .but Discraft has som nice plastic blends, no other brand has even close to as many plastic blends. . .i mostly use a FLX blend

I gave up on Discraft a few years ago because before Mcbeth came on board, most of what I liked was only available in Z plastic. They just seemed to have shelved ESP and ESP flex.

I moved on and see no reason to come back.

Discraft uses a polyvinyl blend for their plastic, so it's different than most other manufacturers who use a polyethylene blend. I think it's pretty off base to say that their plastic is "a step behind" when it's just different. Yes, it does start off a little slick but IMO no worse than Innova champ plastic, and it certainly seems much more durable and holds stability longer. I have a z predator that is at least 12 years old that is still stable, and a z undertaker that has been in the bag for 4+ years that has worn in beautifully. ESP and Z comets that haven't changed in stability after the first season, and fly great after multiple seasons of heavy use. Give it a few weeks to get the new 'slick' feeling off of them and they'll stay in your bag for an incredible lifespan.

People that bash on a company based on their plastic blends are just looking for reasons to bash that company.

Discraft uses a polyvinyl blend for their plastic, so it's different than most other manufacturers who use a polyethylene blend. I think it's pretty off base to say that their plastic is "a step behind" when it's just different. Yes, it does start off a little slick but IMO no worse than Innova champ plastic, and it certainly seems much more durable and holds stability longer. I have a z predator that is at least 12 years old that is still stable, and a z undertaker that has been in the bag for 4+ years that has worn in beautifully. ESP and Z comets that haven't changed in stability after the first season, and fly great after multiple seasons of heavy use. Give it a few weeks to get the new 'slick' feeling off of them and they'll stay in your bag for an incredible lifespan.

People that bash on a company based on their plastic blends are just looking for reasons to bash that company.

If it didn't come across in my post I just wanna clarify that this is my very personal opinion and preference. Other than the IMO much slicker plastic I have no problem with Discraft or their discs, the durability is as great as the other companies and they make some great flying discs.

Personally I haven't experienced the slickness coming off with use, I mean sure it gets better but so does the other companies plastics, even though they IMO start off in a much better place.

But then again, everbodys hands and skin are different and we have different preferences. I have dry hands and lick or breathe on my fingers for grip, other people struggle with sweat/moisture and use birdie bags or dirt...

Last edited:
My take on it was that Champ and Z feel differently from one another. More grippy or less grippy is personal perception as neither Champ nor Z has particularly good grip. In performance they are about the same so it's a wash; Z plastic doesn't slip out of my hands or anything. It just has a different texture on the fingertips. I throw both and have no particular preference one way or the other.

ESP and Star also feel differently, but I'm the leader of the "Star plastic discs are pop-top garbage too often" brigade. Any complaint I may have about ESP grip is greatly overshadowed by the fact that ESP discs by and large tend to actually have the shape of the disc stamped on them. So if you were going to put a gun to my head, I prefer ESP. That said I have some Star discs that I throw, I just never buy them online because I have to have them in-hand before I buy.

I like baseline plastic for mids and putters and mid-grade for drivers. Discraft's Pro-D and Elite X both suck. Pro-D wears ridiculously quickly and the Elite X discs I've had were very susceptible to warping. Neither holds a candle to their Innova counterparts.

I think Discraft has some really good molds. The zone would absolutely have a spot in my bag if I could get one in DX or Pro plastic. A few other molds would have a good shot of making the bag too.

Old ESP was awesome, new ESP isn't. Z and Champion are pretty interchangeable for me but occasionally Innova runs some gummier blends.
Gummy Champ is the shizzle. Gummy Champ also used to come in lighter weights for the weenier arms. If I became the supreme overlord of the World and could force everyone to do my bidding, Dave Dunipace would be chained to a wall in a basement until he agreed to make no Champ plastic that wasn't Gummy Champ.

Of course then all the Jolly Launcher guys would cry, but I'd be the supreme overlord so why would I care?

Gummy Champ is the shizzle. Gummy Champ also used to come in lighter weights for the weenier arms. If I became the supreme overlord of the World and could force everyone to do my bidding, Dave Dunipace would be chained to a wall in a basement until he agreed to make no Champ plastic that wasn't Gummy Champ.

Of course then all the Jolly Launcher guys would cry, but I'd be the supreme overlord so why would I care?

I had a 150's gummy champ Valk that was the shizzle until I lost it. :(

Discraft uses a polyvinyl blend for their plastic, so it's different than most other manufacturers who use a polyethylene blend.

Curious how you know about what type of base they use for their blends? Also what is the difference between PVC and PE?

I haven't looked to see if this information is publicly available, so I could easily have missed it.

I would throw more discraft if their their plastic agreed with me. ESP feels like a firm less tacky star. Z is like a slicker champ. I love the Lat 64 plastics especially opto which is like a gummy, tacky champ.

It's weird because I have a swirly quake that feels great but I hate esp.

Personally I find innova the best combination of durability, firmness, and tack. Trilogy is my second with better feel but reduced durability. Discraft is behind both though the flx plastic is nice to me.

I'm just going to say what discerdoo said.. Old esp is awesome, new esp not so much, I was a little disappointed with the firmness of my newer esp comets. That said they also had some weird run Z's.. I've got a Zesp pfn comet that is unreal awesome. Lots of tack almost fingerprinty

I actually don't mind the new metallic Z.. It's a little slick but I don't feel like it gets worse with water/wet. I always thought it was a little better than innova champion when damp. Except for gummy champ, that stuff was awesome.

I agree with Discerdoo and Throwaenvy, there was a time ESP was great. I have never clicked with Z.

It's interesting to me how many times on this forum that people talk about the benefits of throwing a mixed bag from different manufacturers and yet the discussion of grip rarely comes up when that happens.

I have thrown mixed bags, i'm not a huge fan of doing that. Not because I love one manufacturer and hate another. I'm older, I have arthritis and other hand problems. Grip is my biggest consistency issue.

I often choose my discs because I want a consistent grip between all of my discs, that often causes me to carry a bag with only one manufacturer. Sometimes only one plastic type.

Latest posts