• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do some pros prefer to hide what they are throwing?

not a pro but i do the same or buy bottom stamps. most stock stamps are awful looking.

rico used to throw an unstamped magnet when he left for innova. i'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

when he was on team discraft he used to throw a beat up roc with no stamp that had "roll bitch" written on it in sharpie.

Actually, Dave Dunipace mentioned several years ago on the PDGA msg board that Innova East does most of the stamping, so most disc DO leave the factory without a stamp, they just don't make it to distribution without them. :)

correct, but your coasts are mixed up. west does the majority of the stamping.

Sorry if this has been mentioned, but I have also heard of pros getting loose in the hotstamping room and stamping discs however they please. I know that has lead to miss stamps or crazy multi stamp discs that Discraft was trying to sell for way too much money at last years world's fly mart.

I may be in the minority, but, at the level I play (not very good:thmbup: ) I do keep my disc selection "close to the vest" especially if the match is close and 1 shot can affect the outcome. I don't do this to be mean, I do it to gain any small advantage I can. We don't play for trophy's or money, just bragging rights, so winning is important amongst all of my friends.

An example of this is if I do not have the box, I will not pull out my disc until it's time for me to shoot. Or, if I am asked what I am throwing on a particular shot, I will answer with multiple disc options and not verbally commit to just one disc.

I'm sure if I was at the pro level it would not matter, those guys/gals are probably just focused on their game and could care less what disc someone else uses.

A disclaimer: I do NOT do this on casual rounds. Only when me and my friend/friends know that the match is "ON" and bragging rights are stake. During casual rounds I love talking strategy, shot options, disc options, and do anything I can to help my friends out....because, they are me friends:D .

I know a world champ who told me that at worlds one of his cardmates asked him what he threw on the hole and he refused to tell him. Knowing what your cardmate just threw, and observing how the wind affected it, can give you a better read on the wind than if you don't know what they threw. It can also help you gauge the distance if you know how far someone throws drivers versus mids, etc.

that's nuts. I always know what i'm going to throw and another player's disc selection doesn't affect me.

I've been playing for 20 years and never used putters for driving, until last night and I birdied. This may revolutionalize disc golf for me. What a concept.

It's been my understanding that the new Prodigy team can currently throw other manufacturers discs until the Prodigy line has filled out with multiple disc selections. It's interesting that all of the discs in their bags are stamped with the Prodigy logo. I have been wrong before.

Woah----sanity to sarcasm to conspiracy theory in just over an hour. :p

I will wipe the stamps off some of my favorite discs because the stamp can mentally affect me. I had a habit of always having to hold a disc in a certain spot based on how the stamp was positioned. If I mentally realized I wasn't holding onto that spot it would **** with my head and start causing negative thoughts.

If the stamp is some what circular or a repeating pattern I don't notice the difference. If I ever stamp any of my own stuff at work I tend to stamp it like 10 times with my bobcat mini stamp to create a circular pattern. Just another trick so that the disc doesn't seem off-balance in my head

Dude----you needed a doctor. When you were 4.

I already liked you, but now I'm a fan. :thmbup:

Seconded!:thmbup:

Last edited:
If somebody asks me what i threw or throwing on a certain hole i tell them. Sometimes it helps me, sometimes not. If i am playing with somebody i am familiar with, I/you can gauge what you/I need to throw on certain shots. somebody I haven't thrown with before, it is all out the window. Pick your disc and have confidence in your throw, you get the best result from that. I am of the mindset that my throw should always be better than yours, if not my next throw will be. If I win I want to beat the best my opponent has to offer, if I lose I want the opponent to know he was the better man on that day.

I seem to recall a discraft pro and/or advertisement saying how the buzzz was the straightest most dependable midrange on the market. And that you could find it in the bags of most top pros, whether they were on discraft or not.

Almost seemed to be hinting at some innova guys.

I love that every thread somehow turns against Prodigy members.

This stuff happened before Prodigy was even around, get off the bandwagon haters. I know a ton of Innova/Discraft players did it, and in a video Steve Rico was showing off a ton of Legacy stamped Innova discs.

(And for the record, I own 1 Prodigy disc.)

I think teammates will share info between rounds but they learn each others bags just like we do when we play with people all the time. I just know what my 3 regular players throw on a certain kind of shot. They know what I throw also. You still have to make the shots. Though I get some additional wind info by seeing a disc flight on a specific hole

I found it funny when I heard Prodigy guys were wiping off stamps of their Destroyers or whatever non-Prodigy disc they throw.. and hot stamping a Prodigy logo on it. Like really? Come on guys. I don't know if they're doing it to disguise the fact that they are still using an open bag even though Prodigy has legal drivers, mids, and putters now.. or they are THAT dedicated to Prodigy so every single disc they throw must have a Prodigy logo on it Lol

I wouldn't hate on a player for wanting to throw a disc from another Disc Maker. If all companies made the exact same discs there wouldn't be much of a market. Especially for Prodigy players, who wouldn't have a huge selection to choose from.

I also don't think there is much to them stamping their discs with the Prodigy logo either. I would think they might just be expressing their team loyalty. I wouldn't hold it against them if they slapped a Prodigy bumper sticker over the Ford emblem on their car. I doubt if I asked what kind of car it is they would say it was a Prodigy CR-2... And lets be honest, Prodigy has a pretty sick logo.

And for the record, I have thrown a few Prodigy drivers, and thought they were decent. But to be honest the thing that stood out the most to me was their plastic. It felt amazing.

I always thought the weird stamp stuff was an Innova thing... they have some policy where no disc can leave the factory without a stamp, so when pros go there and pick out stuff that they want they just sort of stamp them with whatever. I don't recall seeing that with Discraft...?

It happens with Discraft too. Same rule - discs leaving the factory must have a stamp. In last year's DGLO, we were on a tight, straight 250'ish tunnel shot. I guy on my card pulled out a Green Z-Pred (or so I thought, didn't see the rim, just the stamp). I didn't say a word - just didn't seem appropriate prior to him teeing off. But I'm thinking to myself "I don't see how you could possibly throw a Z-Pred and keep it on this fairway."

He put it right down the pipe. Walking down the fairway to our 2nd shots, I asked him how he managed that shot with a Pred. :confused:
Turns out it was a Z-Buzzz with a Pred stamp that he got from Mark Ellis. :p

Last edited:
I will wipe the stamps off some of my favorite discs because the stamp can mentally affect me. I had a habit of always having to hold a disc in a certain spot based on how the stamp was positioned.

Dude, I'm like that with my mini marker. The stamp has to be lined up to the line of play or it's not going in. :|

Dude, I'm like that with my mini marker. The stamp has to be lined up to the line of play or it's not going in. :|
And here I was thinking it had to do with things like technique, angle of release, hitting your line, and focus.

Kidding aside, it's pretty interesting the quirks people have and the different things that get in players' heads. The mental part of the game is huge - whatever helps you keep it from getting derailed.

I wouldn't hate on a player for wanting to throw a disc from another Disc Maker. If all companies made the exact same discs there wouldn't be much of a market. Especially for Prodigy players, who wouldn't have a huge selection to choose from.

I also don't think there is much to them stamping their discs with the Prodigy logo either. I would think they might just be expressing their team loyalty. I wouldn't hold it against them if they slapped a Prodigy bumper sticker over the Ford emblem on their car. I doubt if I asked what kind of car it is they would say it was a Prodigy CR-2... And lets be honest, Prodigy has a pretty sick logo.

And for the record, I have thrown a few Prodigy drivers, and thought they were decent. But to be honest the thing that stood out the most to me was their plastic. It felt amazing.

I wasn't hating by all means. I love my M1, M3, and M4. I just think it's kinda funny that players do that.

I like to play the sarcasm card;

Step up to a downhill 200' hole an my cardmates ask what I'm throwing, I tell'em
"A Nuke" then proceed to throw my pink mystery disc. Or I hit'em with the Brittney Murphy (RIP) an say "I'll never tellll."

I recall during Idaho Masters a couple weekends ago, I was following the Intermediate lead card and this kid was doing really well with his M1. I could tell no one else knew what he was throwing. He had wiped off the stamp because it was a Prodigy Xout and the stamp was all weird. The same guy asked him multiple times what he was throwing, and the kid wouldn't tell him. The guy was getting super pissed off and the kid just kinda laughed and was like, You know you're not supposed to ask other players what they're throwing during a PDGA sanctioned event. The guy didn't know how to respond so he just didn't really say anything for the rest of the round.

I definitely have some big drivers with putter stamps. Can't say whats what cuz it was a super secret stamp job, but it is pretty funny when people see it and freak out