• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do top rated courses produce the best players?

Or the teenage kids are too busy hanging at the beach, and checking out all the girls in bikinis. It's very competitive for your leisure time and activities out there. A lot of cool things to do, and near perfect weather.

Raleigh!!

having top notch players to begin with perpetuates having more top notch players...raleigh is the best example of this- their courses are decent but not great but they have had an arseload of high end players over the years.

You are correct there. We have a bunch of good and very good courses, but nothing truly exceptional or brutally challenging. We could use a few top notch courses added, so that we can start talking trash with our neighbors down south in Charlotte.

Not necessarily. Because before 2008 delaware had no "top rated", super challenging courses, but Mike Moser came from DE and he's obviously a top pro...and he'd been playing our decades-old courses for years, no top courses. So I'd argue the courses don't have all that much to do with the players that come from the area.

moser cut his teeth in virginia- at bull run in manassas primarily which is one of the easiest courses ever anywhere... by the time he moved to delaware he had been a top pro for years...

Oregon Has 5 courses in the Top 30 IIRC. Dave Feldberg is from the Portland,OR area. So maybe there's a connection? I know there's a lot more pros in this area just can't think of any right now.

dave's not from oregon and was a known top notch quantity before going there as was avery. i would imagine however that their presence was a definite boon to younger oregon hotshots like sexton, rich, and arlyn.

The Raleigh area has more top notch players (1000+ rated) than the Charlotte area has. Probably will be that way for several more years. I have not checked recently, but I imagine Charlotte now has more 970+ rated players than Raleigh which was not the case as recently as 3-4 years ago.

Charlotte has had better courses for a long time and that gap is widening greatly with tons of new courses coming online this winter.

I love this post and I wanted to mention the father to child relationship as well......locally we have devin frederick whose father has been instrumental in the local scene for some time http://www.pdga.com/player_stats/31053/2010

Nationally I would bet there is some famileal link of generation to generation for disc golf success

Whats great about disc golf is that it can be played intergenerationally and wisdom can be passed....established scenes like Santa Cruz surely do have an advantage

This is an important point to make...why are there so many 1000+ rated players and so many epic courses in California (besides there being hella-people here)?

Because Grandpa played disc golf in California, that's why. And he busted his arse to leave something even better for the next generation, and so on. That's how this entire country used to work, and each new generation was better off than the one before. Even though that value is now gone from much of our society in the US, and younger generations are much worse off as a whole compared to earlier generations, we can still do our best to live up to that spirit in the disc golf world.

A lot of you guys are out East, and it is only a matter of time before you begin to score really great properties and build monumental courses. Things are developing there much the same way they did here in California. Just know that it takes a life of work to make it happen, so don't sit around waiting for it. Go out there and do it! Be a shining example of your community, keep your courses glittering clean, fight dangerous criminal activities in the parks, improve the land, do charity fundraiser tournaments and make an impact in your local community, get more positive exposure in the local press. Disc golf courses are growing faster than ever where there are public lands that have been left idle, or turned into an illegal public dump, or host activities involving syringes, prostitution, etc.. Disc golf grows best by improving the land, and replacing it with a valuable civic institution. Find a beautiful piece of land that has been left to grow over and was trashed by people for decades, clean it up, carve out your fantasy course, etc..

While I 100% agree with the "grandpa effect" and California's contribution to the sport, other parts of the country have shot past CA on course quality and the properties they are built upon for 10-15 years now. I suspect those who have reviewed many courses on here would probably agree. California and the left coast in general have had their growth stunted in comparison to much of the U.S. by environmental issues and land values compounded by the hella-people there.

I think it's important to distinguish Southern California versus the other 2/3 of the state.

There are approximately 31 courses in the Southern California area out of 180 in the state. Pretty sad considering the historical importance of the area.

I don't think there could be much of a correlation. Do the top NASCAR drivers come from places with lots of NASCAR activity? Or do they move there because of the facilities available to them there? (Don't forget, in NASCAR you have people making their living by driving. Not many DGers make their living flinging plastic, so they don't have to be located near DG Meccas.)

its the players you play with not the course ... sure some courses attract more pro than others... but in no way would a course help produce a pro over another course.

but maybe in the future there will be country clubs for disc golfing and they will produce the future disc golf versions of Davis Love III and Phil Mickelson.

For what its worth...

Location of PDGA 1000 rated players

Alabama - 2
Arizona - 2
California - 31
Colorado - 4
Connecticut - 2
Delaware - 1
Florida - 6
Georgia - 5
Iowa - 2
Illinois - 3
Indiana - 2
Kansas - 2
Kentucky - 4
Louisiana - 1
Maryland - 2
Michigan - 7
Minnesota - 4
Missouri - 3
Montana - 1
North Carolina - 12
North Dakota - 1
New Jersey - 2
Nevada - 1
Ohio - 7
Oklahoma - 5
Oregon - 8
Pennsylvania - 4
Tennessee - 4
Texas - 14
Virginia - 2
Washington - 4
Wisconsin - 6

Australia - 1
Canada - 2
Denmark - 1
Finland - 7
France - 1
Germany - 2
Japan - 2
Sweden - 13
Switzerland - 1

It also should bear mentioning that a player's current location doesn't necessarily note where they cut their teeth. The last three World champions all have Midwestern roots (Feldberg - MI, Jenkins - OH, McCabe - KS), but moved someplace else (Feldberg - OR, Jenkins - OR and then CA, McCabe - TX).

Not one from NY? That's rough> We seem to have a great variety of courses here. Black Diamond is almost 11,000 ft., and will test your long throws, we have some great wooded courses, and plenty of elevation change.

We also have snow. Lots of it. I feel that playing in the crappy stuff is only going to improve my game when it turns back to tee-shirt weather, but who knows...

14 from Texas... I wonder how many are from the Austin area? I live in Austin and it is disc golf mecca, like 40 courses in the radius of an hour and a half...

14 from Texas... I wonder how many are from the Austin area? I live in Austin and it is disc golf mecca, like 40 courses in the radius of an hour and a half...

Texas hosted many major tourneys in the early days. This is one of reasons it produces fine players. Another is the Texas spirit. Another is John Houck. Another is that big arms come from there; due to the style of courses by and large. Big arms are becoming more and more prevalent in the top ranks as the courses get longer and longer.

True true. I love it here, many many disc golf courses in my area... I feel like the easy access really helped me improve my game so rapidly.

Quite a few...

Eric McCabe - Corinth (DFW area) - originally from Kansas though. :)
Bradley Williams - Austin
Jay Reading - Wimberly (Austin area)
Nolan Grider - Allen (DFW area)
Dixon Jowers - Tomball (Houston area)
J.D. Ramirez - Lewisville (DFW area)
Matt Hall (Scooter) - Ace (northeast of Houston)
Miles Seaborn - Benbrook (DFW area)
Donald Ellsworth - Allen (DFW area)
Michael Olse - Austin
Joel Kelly - Austin
Anthony Daman - Austin
Jamie Callis - Round Rock (Austin area)
Vinnie Miller - Round Rock (Austin area)

Notice really nobody from rural TX. Except for McCabe though, I don't know where the other players originated from, or where they were introduced to playing the sport.

Quite a few...

Eric McCabe - Corinth (DFW area) - originally from Kansas though. :)
Bradley Williams - Austin
Jay Reading - Wimberly (Austin area)
Nolan Grider - Allen (DFW area)
Dixon Jowers - Tomball (Houston area)
J.D. Ramirez - Lewisville (DFW area)
Matt Hall (Scooter) - Ace (northeast of Houston)
Miles Seaborn - Benbrook (DFW area)
Donald Ellsworth - Allen (DFW area)
Michael Olse - Austin
Joel Kelly - Austin
Anthony Daman - Austin
Jamie Callis - Round Rock (Austin area)
Vinnie Miller - Round Rock (Austin area)

Notice really nobody from rural TX. Except for McCabe though, I don't know where the other players originated from, or where they were introduced to playing the sport.

Ace = Rural BTW..........But I am living in Nacogdoches for college now.......still kinda rural with the large cities being at least 2.5 hrs away.

While I 100% agree with the "grandpa effect" and California's contribution to the sport, other parts of the country have shot past CA on course quality and the properties they are built upon for 10-15 years now. I suspect those who have reviewed many courses on here would probably agree. California and the left coast in general have had their growth stunted in comparison to much of the U.S. by environmental issues and land values compounded by the hella-people there.

I didn't mean to imply a comparative judgment here. I'm glad you like the courses where you live, and that you think you can have properties as beautiful as we have in California. And I hope you have already experienced the kind of community, history, and infrastructure that I am talking about. If so, be sure to continue building it and spread it to places that don't have it. It is something truly special.

two things:
first it is surprising that Florida is only home to six 1000 rated players. the most famous obviously is Climo. I thought FL would be a hotbed since it has awesome weather year round and a good variety of courses around the state. also disc golf blends well with the beach/freestyle culture down there.

second I think I have learned more in this thread than I have in a long time. I'm from Raleigh and I used to torture myself at all the big courses because I thought it would make me better. I would dis the smaller courses because I thought they were for n00bicons. when conditions are better I'm going back to the pitch and putts. I have the distance I just need the control/consistency. I think the lesson here is: variety is king and putting is GOD.

Using Scarpfish's numbers, and state populations in April '10, here's how many 1000 rated players each state has taking population into account. It would be a better indicator to see cities or course locales, but this is still interesting. CA, even with 31 1000-rated players, only makes 11th on list. Oregon crushes the competition.

1000 rated players per state/country

OR: 1 per 478,884
ND: 1 per 672,591
Sweden: 1 per 730,769
OK: 1 per 750,270
Finland: 1 per 762,627
NC: 1 per 794,623
DE: 1 per 900,877
WI: 1 per 947,831
MT: 1 per 989,415
KY: 1 per 1,010,442
CA: 1 per 1,202,740