• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play with snow on the ground?

Waddly Hobbins

Eagle Member
It's snowing in Minnesota and I want to play disc golf on my day off. I've heard of the ribbon/yarn idea, however, I feel all I'd end up finding is the ribbon....not attached to the disc. Luckily, today doesn't seem like there will be too much snow and I will still go out. I think that when snow gets real deep though, I might want to stick to putting practice to avoid lost discs.

Cold doesn't bug me...lost discs do.

So, what are your playing habits when it comes to snow on the ground?

Edit: Meant to make this a poll...oh well.

Im glad it only snows a few times a year around the mid atlantic, but I still play in it. Ice is the worst though. I don't know how you all from the mid west and north play all winter in knee-waist deep snow?

I don't think I could play in knee-waist deep snow....unless I had a dog trained to sniff out discs or something...or maybe a fishing line attached to the disc ....let it rip and follow the line to the disc (not a bad idea provided I would have to use glue or something.)

Sometimes i wish it would snow alot more here in Tejas, but i dont envy you guys jonesing for disc golf and being covered with feet deep snow. good luck with that....

I try to play courses with a lot of foot traffic. That way most of the fairways are pretty well packed down.

We get snow here about once every ten years, so I can't imagine what its like to play in the snow. I bet its interesting.

I love playing in the snow as long as there isn't more than 6 inches on the ground. If you want to see if the ribbon thing will work just attach the ribbon then throw in an open field or somewhere you know you will find your disc and see if the ribbon stays attached.

I played with snow on the ground yesterday. It was cold and about halfway through I lost my feel of the disc. It made it a tough second half to the round but still fiared well. I am thinking about getting hand warmers for my pockets if I play anymore cold/snow rounds.

Played in the snow once last year. It wasn't bad at all here in NC. Only about 3 or 4 inch's. But like a dumbass I threw a white disc. But in my defense I only owend a few discs at that time. I have since corrected that problem. Big time.

I just hit my disc up with the blow torch before I throw and then follow the steam. You tend to warp your disc though. :rolleyes:

It's pretty much standard practice out here to play in the snow. Just put all your white discs, those made with standard plastic, and max dist drivers away. Best discs for cold and snowy play are black, purple, or orange and in a softer plastic like the ESP FLX. Don't throw blind shots, huge drives, or anything else that could cause you to have trouble spotting your disc. Also, don't bitch about how cold your hands are... everyone else's are too, and it doesn't help to hear about it every 10 f'n seconds.

Playing in the snow isnt to bad, unless its stupid cold. It always helps to play with others more eyes are better when your searching for discs in the snow. Ive gone out before in the winter by myself and ended up spending way to much time looking for/burying plastic. Makes it easy to get frustrated quickly. Im trying the ribbon thing this year cause your drives dont go as far in the winter anyways. Ive heard that Gorilla tape is sweet for attatching the ribbon. I like putting my disc between my coat and baselayer to warm them up a lil before I throw. Carry lots of towels to. One plus is the course is never crowded!

When I play in the snow I need to drink, for two reasons:

1 Keeps me warm

2 If I can't see the disc under the snow, I'll be able to whiz in the general area until I hear the stream hitting plastic. Never lost a disc yet!

I played a lot in the snow last year. I lost one disc in the snow, it was one of 6 i threw and skipped across a frozen pond.

I really didn't have any problems with snow less than 6". If I was playing on a course that wasn't played yet, even if the disc was burried, they were easy to find because you could see where they went in, but it'd be safer with a ribbon.

My brother used a white Wraith but we put blue painters tape on it and that seemed to help a lot.

There were lots of "playing in the snow" threads last year with lots of tips.

Yeah I didnt lose any last year and it was the first year I had played, perhaps throwing further now might make it easier to lose the discs, but a lot of times in the powder they just skip, the losable ones are when they dive in at a steep angle and the snow covers up its own mark . . . obvously snow must be at least 8-10" deep to lose it that way. I played through the snow the whole winter because I had recently begun the game so I was hooked. I also dont work much in the winter so I have tons of free time to do so. I will play as long as it is 15 degrees and not windy or 25 degrees and windy!

-Well, I played my first snow round today. It was in the 30's and the snow was that sticky/slushy snow. Footing was horrible, I slipped quite a few times. I learned that I can't drive worth a crap with lack of proper footwork and cold/wet hands. My putting was affected as much.

-Funniest thing that happened today was I gripped-locked my driver hard and it flew about 80ft or more wide right, I smacked my forehead. I then watched as it hit the ground and then proceeded to roll back in the complete oposite direction back into the fairway. This left me with what was probably one of my longest drives ever....on accident.

-Is it pretty much standard to use midrange drivers during the winter? Is this for added accuracy for less accurate cold hands or to make discs easier to find because they wont go as far?

Latest posts