• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Do you throw wizards? Describe the ones you have in your bag.

elnino

* Ace Member *
A good player told me to: Ensure you have the exact putters in your bag – flex, surface, grip, color, weight and stamps. so as a group get out your pile of wizards and get lets get the discs out to player who want those dusty old SSSS or the super firm mediums!

wizard toolings
OLDEST no tooling
big circle tooling
small circle tooling
NEWEST CURRENT TOOLING G centered

wizard plastics
H - It's smooth surface allows for greater speed and glide for a discs flight. Along with these attributes, it is very grippy and flexible. The H-Series is considered Gateways mid grade plastic
Evo proline-Our pro-line polymer is the Evolution™ series or "E"-series. Gateway golf discs have evolved into the front runner in polymer technology with these new polymers. The Evolution™ series polymer, a TPU from BASF, has a surface durometer of 60 D-shore. It is virtually scratch-, scuff-, dent-, crack-, and chip-proof. The durability is as good as any plastic on the market. The smooth surface and low profiles make each model a little faster while still very comfortable in your hand.
Evo HPP
S -"S-Series" (Shur-Grip) - Also known as the matted version of our discs is a high end Thermo-Plastic Elastomer version of the "DX" or "D" plastic of our competitors. This type of polymer offers a firm solid feel, grippy surface, and is great in the rain or extreme heat. The "S-series" allows the disc to break in slowly without changing the flight characteristics after just a few hits.
Glow- just s with glow powder

putter flexibilities, on a scale of 1 to 10. A 1 is the softest surface and floppiest we make (think SSS), though realistically most SSS we make we shoot for are 2. A SuperSoft is a 4, a Soft is a 7 and a Medium is a 9 which wont really flex that much unless you really apply pressure (50% of the Mediums are probably closer to a 10 for players that just like firm discs).
Medium 9
Soft 7
Super Soft 4
Stupid Super Soft 2
Describe your hard S soft putter as follows:
Soft wizard, white, 175, flex 8, 8/10, ink, stamp: wizard with soft printed on top of disc rainbow colored, tooling: G logo centered above tooling

surface-this is subjective but might help
slick
velvet
organic or matted
grippy
smooth

I throw these
Nikon00001454.jpg

first two are
glow wizard, white, 175, flex 7, stamp: circle superglow rainbow colored, tooling: G logo centered above tooling , surface: grippy

next two are
glow wizard, white, 175, flex 8, stamp: circle superglow rainbow colored, tooling:small circle tooled , surface: grippy and smooth

and finally the jacks
glow wizard, white, 175, flex 6, stamp: jack face rainbow colored, tooling: G logo centered above tooling , surface: grippy velvet

i have about 30 different feeling/flex/surface/tooled wizards for trade if you describe what is in you bag i'm sure we can make a trade. esp if you have any of the above ones.

I have a few Wizards, but really only throw two; one for putting/anny and one for longer approach shots. Both weigh 174g. Since I haven't been playing too long, I'd assume they're both the most recent molds.

My main is a SS with a Dynamic Discs stamp. It feels great and its starting to wear in really good. Holds anny lines perfectly.

My other one is a blue super-gummy Evo. It's had its fair share of tree smacks, but still very overstable. When it comes to longer approaches, its my go-to.

5 organic SSS 175 Wizards on deck, 2 in the bag.

In the bag: Green Organic 175, original red wizard stamp for putting, and a medium (stiff) Huk Lab stamp 175 Wizard for all tasks besides putting.

I have two Wizards in the newest tooling (I think).
#1 Driving putter - a gummy clear evolution 174g. This thing feels so nice, but is sometimes hard to find if I throw it into the woods. It is triple-stamped and the stamps shine a lot in the sun though. It bounces off and around trees very nicely.
#2 Putting putter - a firm, somewhat-chalky, white S plastic 174g. Another misprint, I think I do better putting with this firmer one.

I throw a couple of proto wizards with the big arch stamp. I thought these had tooling but I haven't really checked. Are you saying protos don't have tooling? What plastic are protos in? I am not real familiar with gateway plastics.

I have a organic prototype. Im trying to phase it out since its hard to find replacements for it.

1 172g S Wizard (driving)
1 175g SSS Wizard (approaches, shorter drives)
2 (175g and 174g) Evo Wizards (putting)

My next purchase will be 4 175g M Wizards (2 for driving/approaching, 2 for learning push putting -- or for whenever I get around to trying to learn how push putt that is lol)

3 Wizards. 173g Soft Wizard, 173g SSS Wizard, and 174g SSS Wizard from the 2010 ice bowl.

2 wizards - 173g, SSS in both, very very chalky feeling. reminds me of a pencil eraser. One is black with the grateful dead bears, and the other is white with the new wizard stamp. they are both pretty flexy...i like it a lot

I carry 3, all current G tooling.
Organic SSS, black, 173, flex: 6? - firm but pliable, ink, stamp: gold Recycle stamp, surface: grippy and smooth
Supersoft, white, 175, flex: 6, ink, stamp: black Slaw Dog Doubles 2010, surface: grippy and velvet
Medium, lavender, 175, flex: 9, ink, wiped Clearwater Disc Golf, surface: grippy and smooth

I carry 4 wizards, and own 8. All are the current tooling. I beat in wizards like some do Rocs. Brand new to thrashed for overstable -> flippy.

7 wizards in all

in bag:
1 $$$ SSS 173, purple squishy and somewhat chalky. overstable.
1 soft 168, blue a bit firmer than $$$ same chalky texture. beat to death understable.

practice:
1 medium 172, white hard as a rock
1 medium 175, brown hard as a rock
1 evo 172, yellow soft flight plate firm rim, slick but grippy.
1 SS eraser 175, red extra chalky.
1 soft 181, orange just like the blue soft above. ( never throw it, its a brick.)

I've been carrying three lately. All are at or near max weight. One is marked as SS Eraser, and is the color of a pencil eraser. I use it mainly for approaches, but also for putting if it's cold out. Another is the first Wizard I got, marked as Super Stupid Soft. It's good 'n' grippy, but not floppy, and really feels about the same as the Eraser. It's pretty beat, and holds an anny approach line well. The third one, which has become my main putting putter, is blue and marked as Soft, but is really pretty firm.

I have several others which make into the bag from time to time. The cool thing I've noticed about Wizards is that no matter the plastic, they all fly about the same for me.

My main putting Wizards are 4 identical 172 SS Wizards that I rotate to keep them similar. They are all fairly soft versions of the SS plastic. I also have about 25 other Wizards that I use for drives, approaches or am breaking in for future putting duties. I've got 5 that have been sitting out in my practice basket for a month now. They get thrown occasionally by me, my kids or guests. Someday when they get old and frail they'll be throwers.

i carry 3:

one is the old bubble stamp (the stamp is "Soft Putter" in bubble letters) Soft wizard, no tooling...i havent seen another one of these in a while. It is thrashed and is my understable approach disc

another is an original prototype with our local club stamp...168g for putting

and the third is an organic prototype, 174g, currently beat into its money stage for drives.

I have a nice new supersoft that I'll probably rotate in this year as a driving putter.

I have around 25 wizards. Ranging from proto to hpp and everything in between. I use white softs with the 'soft wizard' stamp. I would say they are around a 7-8 and velvety. 'G' logo in the center. I've got one glow wizard I could part with. It's stiff with the circle stamp and 7.5/10 or better. Kinda slick looking but grippy.

Last edited:

Latest posts