• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone ever return discs?

I guess I'm sitting in the position of, if somebody dropped $20 out on the course, and you're stumbling around the woods and come across it, are you going to call the number and ask if they want it back if it has one on it? Not the best example, I know, but I see it as much the same.

If the name is somebody I know, definitely I'll give it back.
If the person comes up and says its theirs after I get it, definitely give it back.
If I find it in a stream where with ice still on the edges and a 20 foot vertical bank to get down to it, and it's visible from the top of the bank, I'm not going to worry about it.
If it is worth it to them, the person will find it. I am a very firm believe in this, and I don't truly see how you can say you just can't find it. I've spent many hours rummaging through poison ivy and nettles looking for my discs. I keep looking because it is worth it to me to find them. If its a disc I don't care about I'll say "**** it, lets keep playing."

EDIT: I guess I don't see the whole name/number on the disc being completely valid. I've seen several people on the course with sharpies specifically to write their names on a disc as soon as they find one. I've seen it done on blind throws. I don't take it as meaning it is theirs.

I hope you never cone to my home course. Let me know which one is yours will you. That way I won't play there.

It is called common courtesy and integrity. Something I am finding less and less of. What a sad world we sometimes live in.

Meh...I'll get singled out in an instance like this, but I know the majority of players on anybody's course do the same things.

That's always a good answer. Rationalize it because you want to think everyone else is doing it. So no guilt huh! My mom was a very wise person and said, on more than one occasion, "if all your friends were going to jump off a cliff are you going to jump with them".

Point being just because someone else does something, it does make it right. Why not find some brass ones and show some integrity. I know it is more important to go along that way no one thinks your weird. Well, when all the pigs go off the cliff together please let me know. I need some more bacon and sausage.

Not being a ball golfer (I've only tried it once during a buddy's bachelor party and SUCKED big time), I'm assuming nobody writes their name/number on golf balls...but then again, you'd have to lose half a package of Titleist Pro V1s to match the cost of a good Champ/Star disc, and I don't think ball golfers get nearly as attached to ONE BALL as we do to our ONE DISC, hence the sentiment involved in inscribing your identifying info on it and hoping someone has the common decency to call you if found.

I would equate our discs as more the club AND ball...though if you lose a club you probably deserved it.

And yet ball golfers can slam/throw their clubs (don't know what the OFFICIAL rules state, but I see this all too often with the pros) and not be penalized, while we can be penalized/DQ'd for showing our frustration--read: being human.

Lo and behold, I was at another tournament at a neighboring course on Sunday. Someone with the tournament staff gave me back my disc. There were also signs posted at both courses explaining what to do if a lost disc was found, namely go to this website, and post a notice on that course's particular message board. I guess some folks in your area do see it as a common decency.

But geography really has nothing to do with it. There seems to be a different mentality on this matter between people who play organized DG in league or tournaments versus the casual screw around players who are happy with anything gyroscopic that flies, who think you're taking the game too seriously for merely carrying a bag.

I know of the message board, and I know of the league. I've actually played a few rounds with them recently. Unfortunately, those fliers were only up for that tournament. The second paragraph hits on a good point, which I believe to be completely true. I guess it is something that I would like to clarify. In a tourney or league, I would make the effort to give it back to the person. Any disc that I find, marked or not, i'll ask about, and I will gladly give it back to the person. I was speaking from a recreational standpoint, ie: not in a tourney or a league night. And on that note, I went through the box of discs that I still have tonight. The only one with a name/number on it is a DX disc that looks like it was used as a chew toy for a dog (literally, not figuratively) and the name written on it is Captain Hero Super. I'm guessing that person isn't too serious about getting that back.

I am glad that you took the effort to read the older posts though. Apparently most people just skipped over the details of some of the first ones. For example:
Keep in mind that the majority of discs found (for me anyways) are DX and usually pretty beaten/old. If it were a champion, star, elite-z, etc I would probably consider giving the person a call...IF there number was on it.
The reason I say probably is because I have never found a disc that wasn't DX plastic with a name/number on it. I think there may have only been one or two others besides Captain Hero Super's that even had a number.

Also you're the only person who has seemed to grasp that I'm not keeping them for personal gain/use.

Was the saturday tourney discapalooza? If so I was there too, btw.

I know of the message board...In a tourney or league, I would make the effort to give it back to the person. Any disc that I find, marked or not, i'll ask about, and I will gladly give it back to the person. I was speaking from a recreational standpoint, ie: not in a tourney or a league night

I don't know what makes it any different whether you find a disc during a league or casually. Someone besides you shelled out the cash for that disc. You can write out a dozen defenses of your behavior here, but you can't be an adult and make one selfless post on a lost and found message board? I guess your time's too valuable. Most of the experiences I've had, people have either told me to keep the disc or offered to give me one of their extras out of appreciation for the safe return of a trusted disc.

The reason I say probably is because I have never found a disc that wasn't DX plastic with a name/number on it. I think there may have only been one or two others besides Captain Hero Super's that even had a number.

You made a reference to a previous post here where you said you keep the beat-in dx plastics but might exert minimal effort and try to return the higher end plastics. People throw different plastics. Some prefer DX. Some grow really attached to those "cheap" discs and go through a lot of time breaking them in. You keeping those "beaten" discs holds those people back in their games while they wait to break in that replacement disc.

Also you're the only person who has seemed to grasp that I'm not keeping them for personal gain/use.

Way to try and make yourself look like Robin Hood here, stealing from the oppressive people who spent their hard earned money only to "give back" to those that have none. If you really want to make a difference, give those kids a disc you spent your own money on. It feels real good. What happens when someone sees a disc of theirs in that kid's hand and that kid gets lectured - or worse - for something that is YOUR fault? One good deed doesn't cancel out a bad one.

Maybe you should lift the wool from over your own eyes. You're not fooling anyone, scavenger.

Back to the topic. So I'm waiting for a shipment of 8 used discs to come in the mail today.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I lost my 3rd disc in the few months I've been playing. Tye-dye Champ Sidewinder. I had just bought the disc used from Play It Again and went out for a practice round before the AM Weekly. It was the first time I had ever played the course, Sugah Creek, and that was my first night of any type of organized DG. On the fifth hole I lost the Sidewinder to the left on a dogleg right. Spent about half hour looking for it before I had to go to the first tee to sign up for that night, and the weather was exceptionally bad that night.

Fast forward to today. I'm waiting on my shipment of discs to come in the mail, which included 2 Sidewinders, one Star, one Champ. My replacement and backup. Half hour before my discs arrive, I get a call from a really nice guy, Chris, who came across my disc at a course I have never played at. He waited in the area for about an hour for me to get there and get my disc. He refused a reward of a few bucks for his trouble, and only took $.50 to cover the phone call from the pay phone he used to call me.

I've learned two things today;
1.) Now I know there are really nice people out there amongst the idiots, and
2.) If your disc has your number on it, you are likely to get a call about your lost disc. Alot of people who find discs don't bother to remove your info from the disc, and they will lose it themselves.

I've heard of people's discs being found in unusual places, cross country and elsewhere, but never thought my disc would be found at a park I've yet to play. I thank Chris for being honest. I've been able to return 5 discs to their original owners, and it all became worth it today.

I am puzzled by people giving money or discs to people who find their discs. At this point why wouldn't you just buy a new disc. I hate to tell everyone but they are just plastic and you can pick up the same disc in the same plastic at a bunch of places. Furthermore, if a disc does carry with it a certain sentimental value (i.e tournament disc, or whatever), why play with it in the first place? Also, While losing discs sucks I usually see it as an opportunity to get a different disc, try something new.

how long you been playing adaven?...you can't just go out and get a new disc thinking it will be the same as the one you lost..especially when you have had it for years and years..

I am puzzled by people giving money or discs to people who find their discs. At this point why wouldn't you just buy a new disc. I hate to tell everyone but they are just plastic and you can pick up the same disc in the same plastic at a bunch of places. Furthermore, if a disc does carry with it a certain sentimental value (i.e tournament disc, or whatever), why play with it in the first place? Also, While losing discs sucks I usually see it as an opportunity to get a different disc, try something new.

Just plastic? For me...discs are tools that I've learned to work with and enjoy. Trying something new is fun and interesting, but since I'm kinda settled on what I carry and throw, I like my seasoned plastic and don't look forward to training a new dog.

how long you been playing adaven?...you can't just go out and get a new disc thinking it will be the same as the one you lost..especially when you have had it for years and years..

I have been playing for just over 10 years and I have lost my share of discs. Furthermore, why would a company (discraft, innova, gatway etc...) bother making unique models if they did not have the same flight characteristics as every other in that model. If you are throwing warped discs you can't really tell me that its is predictable, by the nature of being warped it would be unpredictable. Lastly, when a disc gets old a worn and doesn't fly like it used to its probably time to replace it. Remember, they are just pieces of plastic and have no value beyond their scope.

Just plastic? For me...discs are tools that I've learned to work with and enjoy. Trying something new is fun and interesting, but since I'm kinda settled on what I carry and throw, I like my seasoned plastic and don't look forward to training a new dog.

Amen to that. I recently lost my thoroughly beaten Champion TeeBird (and a few strokes off my game) that had been with me my entire disc golf life (~4 years). It landed just so out in the water that it caught an air pocket and floated away. I stopped my round for well over an hour hoping it would get close enough to the shore. In the do or die moment, it just slipped off the stick that my buddy used to snag it. I'd happily give up half of my favorite discs to get that one back. I now have two new ones that are going to require soooooooo much time to get back to where my baby was - if ever.

I have been playing for just over 10 years and I have lost my share of discs. Furthermore, why would a company (discraft, innova, gatway etc...) bother making unique models if they did not have the same flight characteristics as every other in that model.
I'm sure all the disc companies would like to be able to make that utopia possible, but field experience from most everybody shows that discs of the same mold do not always fly the same. They certainly do not fly the same compared to discs that have been beat in by their owners to fly in a manner they desire.

If you are throwing warped discs you can't really tell me that its is predictable, by the nature of being warped it would be unpredictable. Lastly, when a disc gets old a worn and doesn't fly like it used to its probably time to replace it. Remember, they are just pieces of plastic and have no value beyond their scope.
Nobody said anything about "warped" discs. They are describing "seasoned" discs. Discs do not always fly ideally right off the shelf but can get that way with prolonged usage, therefore its not out of line for a player to become attached to a disc that he's spent a lot of sweat equity breaking in. For someone who has been playing for ten years, you sure show a great deal of ignorance about this.

Of course, that just bolsters my point that we have people in DG who are disc aficionados who understand the subtle nuances about the plastic they throw and casuals who are happy just flinging anything that flies, especially when they didn't have to pay for it. Do not cast ye pearls before swine.

I'm sure all the disc companies would like to be able to make that utopia possible, but field experience from most everybody shows that discs of the same mold do not always fly the same. They certainly do not fly the same compared to discs that have been beat in by their owners to fly in a manner they desire.

Nobody said anything about "warped" discs. They are describing "seasoned" discs. Discs do not always fly ideally right off the shelf but can get that way with prolonged usage, therefore its not out of line for a player to become attached to a disc that he's spent a lot of sweat equity breaking in. For someone who has been playing for ten years, you sure show a great deal of ignorance about this.

Of course, that just bolsters my point that we have people in DG who are disc aficionados who understand the subtle nuances about the plastic they throw and casuals who are happy just flinging anything that flies, especially when they didn't have to pay for it. Do not cast ye pearls before swine.

Perhaps you, as a "disc aficionado", can explain to me, a simple "casual", how exactly a disc gets seasoned. I would assume it gets seasoned by hitting trees or diving hard into the ground, maybe hitting cement. I mean this would slightly change the characteristics of the disc to make it fly differently. Interestingly enough those things that change the physical characteristics of a disc would warp the disc away from its original form. Now I would also assume any asymmetrical changes to the disc would make the discs flight unpredictable by its very nature. perhaps the idea that a disc flies differently/better when its broken in is all in peoples minds.

Adaven....people who work with tools....artists and craftsman would say objects become seasoned with use, handling, experience and ouch...respect. Thats me speaking....a guy who has made his living using hand tools and power tool for over 20 years to solve problems and get the job done in an efficient and hopefully elegant and artistic manner.

The scientist in me....the guy who dropped out of college and went into cabinetry and carpentry and furniture making, but still loves science, says....the seasoning of discs and how they perform is " not clearly understood."

So....I just try and respect tools and "inanamate objects" by returning them to their original owners.

Now I would also assume any asymmetrical changes to the disc would make the discs flight unpredictable by its very nature. perhaps the idea that a disc flies differently/better when its broken in is all in peoples minds.

Someone once told me that once your disc stops working the "way it should," keep throwing it. It will come back around. Once it does, it'll never let you down. Try doing that with your midrange or your putter (if you're set on your putter). It will take strokes off your game, then put them right back plus when you lose it. Hahahaha

Last edited:

Latest posts