• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Does Anyone throw a skeeter?

used to have a sweet dyed one, the only disc i've gotten an ace with, but i lost. also didn't replace it because i have too many mids.

Pardon my resurrecting this thread; it seemed easier than than making a new one. :p

if you guys like the skeeter than pick up a comet. Thank me later

I was wondering if someone could elaborate a similar opinion/experience to this statement. I'm a newbie, and have only really worked with a Skeeter as my mid; I'd chosen it for its supposed reputation of being a good disc to learn with. Two months in, and I have a pretty hot-and-cold relationship with the thing: there are things I really like about it (the glide, the ease of throwing it from a standstill), and things I really don't like about it (its finickiness, and the fact that as it beats in, it flips over if you look at it wrong). I'm trying to stick with one mold consistently as I learn, for the sake of both my technique and my wallet, but I've already begun to contemplate future mids to try out. Someone had mentioned the Comet to me as an upgrade from the Skeeter in my bag thread, which got me thinking.

So, any opinions on the Comet related to my experience with the Skeeter? Does the Comet also become really flippy? etc etc. Any thoughts would be much-appreciated!

Does the Comet also become really flippy? Any thoughts would be much-appreciated!

Any disc will get flippier when beat enough. A disc that is stable/understable to begin with will get fliptastic when beat.

I only have experience with the X Comet, which is dead straight out of the box. It will definitely get flippy as it beats in.

I have not thrown the Skeeter, but the Comet is worth checking out.

Thanks BigSky. My 150 DX Skeeter has definitely gotten fliptastic. Maybe the thing to do would be to try one in Star, because out of the box, they are very nice (sounds similar to the Comet). I'd love to have a beat-in one for annys, but that sweet spot between "beat" and "flippy" seems to have been very short-lived for my Skeeter.

Pardon my resurrecting this thread; it seemed easier than than making a new one. :p

I was wondering if someone could elaborate a similar opinion/experience to this statement. I'm a newbie, and have only really worked with a Skeeter as my mid; I'd chosen it for its supposed reputation of being a good disc to learn with. Two months in, and I have a pretty hot-and-cold relationship with the thing: there are things I really like about it (the glide, the ease of throwing it from a standstill), and things I really don't like about it (its finickiness, and the fact that as it beats in, it flips over if you look at it wrong). I'm trying to stick with one mold consistently as I learn, for the sake of both my technique and my wallet, but I've already begun to contemplate future mids to try out. Someone had mentioned the Comet to me as an upgrade from the Skeeter in my bag thread, which got me thinking.

So, any opinions on the Comet related to my experience with the Skeeter? Does the Comet also become really flippy? etc etc. Any thoughts would be much-appreciated!
The Skeeter by design is going to be more finicky b/c it's faster than a Comet which has a bead and a wider diameter. X Comets can beat in to be really flippy and they're the most neutral out of the box but in premium plastic, Comets stay neutral for a long time. For this reason, they're the de facto one disc for learning form with.

That being said, you may just need to learn how to hyzer-flip your Skeeter. IMO, the very best Skeeters are max weight, gummy Star ones. They're the most predictable/practical.

I was looking at a black star skeeter. How would it compare to my core? Or my gummy champ roc?

Edit: my core is gold line and I love it for most mid shots.

The Skeeter by design is going to be more finicky b/c it's faster than a Comet which has a bead and a wider diameter. X Comets can beat in to be really flippy and they're the most neutral out of the box but in premium plastic, Comets stay neutral for a long time. For this reason, they're the de facto one disc for learning form with.

That being said, you may just need to learn how to hyzer-flip your Skeeter. IMO, the very best Skeeters are max weight, gummy Star ones. They're the most predictable/practical.

Thanks, BrotherDave; all of that is very useful. I appreciate the comparison between the two discs.

Driving, I have no problem with the Skeeter - I've been working on getting a nice hyzer flip, just as you said. It's really when I power down, for standstill shots ~150' or so, that its finickiness starts to really show itself. This is where it gets the most unpredictable on me, and considering that this is my midrange disc, that's a problem. With that in mind, I can imagine the advantages of a slightly slower, more predictable disc like the Comet sounds like it is.

Still, I'm going to keep throwing my Skeeter in the short-term. I might indeed look into getting a heavier Star one, as that seems to encapsulate the disc's best characteristics.

I was looking at a black star skeeter. How would it compare to my core? Or my gummy champ roc?
Your Core is flat? The Core should be more overstable and versatile. The Skeeter would likely have more glide, they're tailwind fliers. The really firm Star Skeeters are kind of goofy IMO b/c they're deceptively HSS, like a mini-driver. I'm not crazy about them. Like I said, a max weight, gummy Star Skeet is the kind to own IMO. Any lighter and they quickly become tailwind only discs, pretty flippy. Fun, but flippy.
Thanks, BrotherDave; all of that is very useful. I appreciate the comparison between the two discs.

Driving, I have no problem with the Skeeter - I've been working on getting a nice hyzer flip, just as you said. It's really when I power down, for standstill shots ~150' or so, that its finickiness starts to really show itself. This is where it gets the most unpredictable on me, and considering that this is my midrange disc, that's a problem. With that in mind, I can imagine the advantages of a slightly slower, more predictable disc like the Comet sounds like it is.

Still, I'm going to keep throwing my Skeeter in the short-term. I might indeed look into getting a heavier Star one, as that seems to encapsulate the disc's best characteristics.
No problemo.

You have a very light Skeeter. And, you have a DX Skeeter. The combination of those two factors definitely points you towards squirrely category. IMO, small diameter mids don't power down/finesse all that well. Comets, beat Rocs, Fuse, Coyotes, Makos, etc are easier and putters are easier b/c they don't need as much speed for the glide to kick in.

Your best options, IMO and in no particular order:
1) heavier (at least 160s) Star Skeeter or max weight DX Skeeter
2) Comet or similar mid to replace the Skeeter.
3) Using a putter or a lid for those short shots your Skeeter fails at.

i have a 168 star skeeter thats rock hard and domey. i would kick a family of 4 down the stairs if I lost that disc. thing has been used for over 2 years and looks 8/10 thing is indestructible and predictable. dx is crap.

dart/skeeter is good comet like discs imo

Thanks bro dave. Yes my core is a dinner plate. I may get the star skeeter and see if I like it.

I love the Skeeter. I throw Rocs and Darts for my putter/mid game, but would pick a fresh max weight Star Skeeter every time for a 1 disc challenge on a short to medium length course. Versitile (hyzer, anhyzer, hyzer flip, air bounce, extra long jump putt, long down hill touch shot), fast and controlable at a variety of speeds.

I used to have a pink 168 Star Skeeter that I loved. Super glidey mo' fo'. It turnedinto a great little hyzer flip mid before I lost it. good disc if you can harness its flippyness.

underrated disc...also a great long range putter

I dont throw but I appreciate the skeet shooters out there

I learned how to throw soft mid range approaches with the Skeet FR DX. To me, this disc is great for understanding that you don't need to throw a disc hard to keep it on an anhyzer.

I carry a Star Skeeter in my work truck bag. I got it to be my in the woods control disc. For me it's an OK disc but I prefer an Impact now.