• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone throw vibram

My good friend putts with a Vibram putter. When he retrieves it from his bag, one or both of us usually chants, "Steve Dodge is a Disc!" And then he nails his putt.

My good friend putts with a Vibram putter. When he retrieves it from his bag, one or both of us usually chants, "Steve Dodge is a Disc!" And then he nails his putt.

I putt with Vibrams as well. VP all day 40' and closer.

I bought 7 of them a while back when I heard they were getting out of DG, which should last me a lifetime since these discs don't seem to take any damage or deteriorate much if any.

Every time I buy more than one Disc expecting to use it in the future, it takes years and years if ever to get to that point. About 5 or 6 years ago I encountered Discs for sale near at-cost at The Sarge in South Carolina. I was happy with my Rhynos up to that point thinking I didn't need to try a Pig. Then I'm standing there in the park office looking at $7 R-Pro Pigs. So I got two of them.

The first one is still in my bag and still flies like the day I bought it despite hitting many obstacles. That second one will be super cool in 2040 when I pull it out!

Edit: this idea doesn't count for putting putters. Or my trusty DX Sidewinders I use for turnovers when they're new and rollers when they're a year old. Bah! I'm shooting down my own theories!

I putt with Vibrams as well. VP all day 40' and closer.

I bought 7 of them a while back when I heard they were getting out of DG, which should last me a lifetime since these discs don't seem to take any damage or deteriorate much if any.

I resemble this remark. :hfive:

Nine shortie aces on the two VPs I keep in the bag, with five more waiting in the wings in the practice basket at home. At 58 years young, my VPs will probably outlive, and definitely out perform me! Besides, whenever my disc lands on someone else's, and they cleverly jibe "hey, they're makin' minis", I reply that, being a Vibram, it's unlikely. ;)

I love me my Ridges. But I left my long time putting putter behind one day, the replacement just isn't the same. I only have one more exact clone in my horde of 60'ish. :( Replacement prices are just too crazy high for me on OOP discs. Started looking for something new. :\:mad:

I'd love for someone who is educated on this to chime in-- how long would a rubber disc be expected to last, given gentle use and careful storage? I'm pretty sure UV light and ozone are bad for rubber and degrade it. Anything else I'm missing?

Will there be a year in which all of the existing Vibram discs are un-throwable and crumbly, and if so, when?

I have a Valley, Arch, Summit, and a Sole. The Valley and Summit are Firm, the other two are medium. I love the feel of the firm plastic/rubber. It's the most durable disc material I have ever seen. I will always keep mine, I just don't throw them much.

I have a Valley, Arch, Summit, and a Sole. The Valley and Summit are Firm, the other two are medium. I love the feel of the firm plastic/rubber. It's the most durable disc material I have ever seen. I will always keep mine, I just don't throw them much.

Discraft needs to buy a high pressure press and make firm x-link Comets... it would be the best disc ever.

I'd love for someone who is educated on this to chime in-- how long would a rubber disc be expected to last, given gentle use and careful storage? I'm pretty sure UV light and ozone are bad for rubber and degrade it. Anything else I'm missing?

Will there be a year in which all of the existing Vibram discs are un-throwable and crumbly, and if so, when?

I haven't seen any thing like that. I've recovered discs that were at the bottom of a pond for a year and other than being permanently stained was fine. The compound Vibram used was not 100% rubber it had other things in it to change the firmness. Maybe those other chemicals stabilize the material a bit?? So I dunno, probably at some point it will just die, kind of like old CE plastic.

Great question and I'd be interested to know the answer.

I've been putting with the same VP since 2016. I have 7 other VPs in storage in my house. The only difference I can tell between my putter and the brand new ones is the texture of the disc has become smoother over time.

Essentially, my 4-year old putter is a little bit less "grippy" than the brand new ones.

It's not like we're leaving these discs outside 24/7. If that were the case I'd imagine they'd get weatherchecked or dry rot just like tires do....eventually.

Latest posts