• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does this make me a douche?

Last spring was when my friends and I caught the disc golf bug. We all had a lot of fun last year. However, I'm finding myself really wanting to improve my game, while they still wanna go out and goof off and they haven't quite picked up on ettiquette. Here's my dilemma. I find myself blowing them off when they ask me to play because they don't take it as serious as I do. Don't get me wrong though. Its not like I'm in tourney mode during casual rounds. Its just that I've met more people that play on my level. So by blowing them off, does that make me a db?

it does, but don't worry: i do it all the time. a lot of my friends that play disc golf are just chuckers looking to drink and smoke more than play a round of golf. the awkward part is where you run into them at the course not knowing they were going to be there

Douchebags are born, not made.

- Alexander Hamilton.

(it sounds like your friends are the DBs if they can't observe basic etiquette.)

Why are you passing up opportunities to DG?

he's not. he's saying he's getting to the point where he'd rather play by himself than with his friends who are dumb because he wants to improve his game and they aren't doing anything for him. the best ways to get better are to play with people way better than you and solo play. solo play helps you focus on your game without any distractions

if anything, he can play more DG with the time he saves from not playing with his friends every single time. sure, its good to shoot with your buddies every now and then (more often with the ones at/above your skill level who observe etiquette and take the game more seriously) but solo play helps you define what kind of golfer you are going to be

he's not. he's saying he's getting to the point where he'd rather play by himself than with his friends who are dumb because he wants to improve his game and they aren't doing anything for him. the best ways to get better are to play with people way better than you and solo play. solo play helps you focus on your game without any distractions

if anything, he can play more DG with the time he saves from not playing with his friends every single time. sure, its good to shoot with your buddies every now and then (more often with the ones at/above your skill level who observe etiquette and take the game more seriously) but solo play helps you define what kind of golfer you are going to be

I meant to quote this:

I find myself blowing them off when they ask me to play because they don't take it as serious as I do.

It's really all up to you.

I had a similar situation where I was getting sick of playing with my friends that weren't taking it seriously at all. I pretty much played solo rounds and rounds with one serious discer for about a year (a few times I played with them). During a round I noticed that they have stepped up their games and etiquette, and I have started to play with them a ton.

Maybe they will do the same? I would still throw a round with them once in a while and remind them to be courteous to other players and the course.

i have a similar possible problem.
me and two of my friends started playing casually over the summer with our pals, but when the rest of them went off to college and we stayed home for community college:\ we started playing more seriously and almost everyday in the fall.

what i'm worried about is that THEY won't want to play with us because we take it too seriously or something.

You can always lead by example with the goof-offs. Let people play through, carry out your trash, ect. Maybe they will catch on, maybe they won't but it won't be from a lack of trying.

Play with them when you want to hang out with them and play by yourself or with your other DG friends when you want to actually play.

I like the putter only rounds when you play with them, too. You'd be surprised at how much less stressful it is when you don't have to make any disc selections. It's easier to just have a good time and hang with your friends that way.

It might improve your concentration by playing with them. Go out and have fun but make EVERY shot count, Maybe when they see you shootin par or better they might want to improve.

When I first started, I was playing with the same types of guys... Didn't want to follow the rules/keep score, etc... Needless to say I didn't last long with those guys.

Now I play regularly with a guy who has the same type of personality as me, he's serious about the rules and wants to challenge himself. He, however, has some buddies he invites who really tick me off while I'm playing. They are two of the nicest guys I've ever met but they just don't understand disc golf etiquette. They walk in front of me while I'm tossing, stand next to the basket while I'm putting, and stand on either side of me and talk while I'm throwing.

I wish I could be one of those guys who can block out distractions, but I can't, and then I get frustrated. The thing that really gets to me is that they are really laid back and always tell me not to get frustrated and that it's just a game... unfortunately I'm just not programmed that way, I can't help my competitive nature. I just try to relax when these guys come around and work on things I wouldn't normally do in a competitive round (ie- FH throws) to get some practice.

More of an enema of the casuals. Force yourself to have fun no matter how upsetting it may be.
I just hate mob golf with dogs babies and strollers , zero etiquette, etc. Play by the rules, as a rule just have fun and observe DG etiquette.

Last edited:
My bud has his nutsac in his wifes purse. He has a hard time gettin out on the weekends. Now he just plays xbox and whines about it being too cold. UGGHH wish I had a friend as hard core as myself.

Play with ur friends and by urself have fun

Play with everybody and as many people as possible just remember why you started playing disc golf and continue to have fun.

I always have fun playing. The problem is that some people's definition of fun differs from mine. Some golfers think fun means going out with more beers than discs and getting juiced. Or it's just an excuse to partake in other illegals out in the woods. I can't speak for anyone else, but fun to me while playing disc golf is shooting a 51 at a course I've never broke par at. That's fun!

I have a few friends who are in the goof-off boat that I used to play with quite regularly. Over the last year I have really started to work on my game. I still enjoy playing with those guys because they remind me to not take this game too seriously. It's really about fun after all.

Latest posts