• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dogs on the Disc Golf Course

the dogs are not a big deal if they are well trained. But I am always worried about throwing my disc or sitting my bag in dog poop. that ever happen to anyone?

yet another dog on the course discussion! Personally love most dogs, have three at home. NEVER take them on the course with me. Sure, your dog is the greatest dog ever, but it is just plain and simple inconsiderate to bring him/her to the course. If you want to take the dog to a park....take it to a park, not a disc course...even if the course is in a park.

How is it inconsiderate to bring a dog to a park that allows dogs?

If the dog is well trained, and picked up after...what does it really matter? ****, most dogs I've seen at courses are better behaved than a lot of chuckers...

They don't write their name on baskets, the don't sit or stand on baskets, they don't throw their beer cans orcigarette butts on the ground, and they definitely don't have a problem if I want to play through.

If dogs are allowed in a park that also has a disc golf course, and their owner is responsible, then that dog has just as much right to be there as you do.

this thread is about dogs...not chuckers.

Perhaps I haven't been around the "right" dogs, but the owner constantly has to call the dog as someone is in their throwing "routine"...it's been my experience it throws off the whole vibe.

Don't take it so personally...again...I have THREE dogs, I'm not anti dog by any means.

I have a friend who brings his dog, and also play with a couple others who bring a dog on occasion. I don't dig it when any of them bring them along. I'm not there to see your dog or pet it, @ all. I don't want your dog leaning on me and getting hair stuck to my sweaty leg, I don't want to keep an eye out for a random turd. I also don't want trash cans and benches to smell like the outside of a vet's office from the constant territory marking. If I'm playing a round with you and your mutt chews my disc we just traded, and I'm trading up!

Perhaps I haven't been around the "right" dogs, but the owner constantly has to call the dog as someone is in their throwing "routine"...it's been my experience it throws off the whole vibe.

Don't take it so personally...again...I have THREE dogs, I'm not anti dog by any means.

OK now see though, that's not a well trained dog...

I get mad about that too. In my opinion if a dog is more well behaved than your average 8 year old boy, then its more than welcome on the course haha.

To bring it back to my OP the owner of the dog was not a DGer and apparently didn't have their dog very well trained...seemed it must have been decently trained seeing as she had it off the leash in a public park, but it was running around like crazy and was jumping on my friend when we came to get my disc. There is a difference between a DGer and his dog which he/she has trained not to touch discs and some random on the course with their crazy unleashed dog!

I agree with that. If I forget to make sure my dog is in the right spot prior to teeing off and he walks in front of the teepad, that is my fault for not paying attention. While it does not happen on a regular basis, I am not perfect.

Floyd listens well, but only when I speak to him.

I agree with that. If I forget to make sure my dog is in the right spot prior to teeing off and he walks in front of the teepad, that is my fault for not paying attention. While it does not happen on a regular basis, I am not perfect.

Floyd listens well, but only when I speak to him.

On a completely unrelated note...Floyd would be an awesome name for my English bulldog puppy I'm getting in august :)

The IDGC has an outdoor mascot dog that roams the courses, shes kinda like a tour guide showing you the next hole or the best line....I have never heard any complaints or people upset that she is there. I wont bring her on tournament weekends, but she was rescued from the park and lived on the courses for 3 months before we could catch her.

She is very well behaved and would never pick up a disc ever....although getting her to stay behind the tee pad can be difficult at times. But 9 times out of 10 shes out chasing squirrels and deer!

Therefore I think its great having animals around while playing as long as it is not a tournament setting. Disc golf is about fun and hiking in the park or woods, and when most people do that they bring their best friend.

I had three dogs. My neighbor said, "well, you gottaa start disc golfing now." that was twenty years ago. Those three dogs loved the game and were good dg dogs. Played every round I did, except for tournaments and the occasional private course. My two new dogs are the same. Never been on a lead. Play every round I do, except tournaments. They are pretty good dogs, never heard a complaint in hundreds of rounds (including league).

I don't call them much, if at all. I also am bugged by owners that keep calling their dogs, especially when I'm driving.

I look at the ground before I put my bag down. But I'm looking for more than just dog poop.

And finally, I have played with WAY more ass hole players over the years than I have obnoxious dogs.

yeah i much rather have i dog bothering me then some jerk wad playin rap on his phone. i rather be sodomized by a rotwieler then have to listen to drake while i toss.

This thread is about dogs, yes. You need to realize though that 9 times out of 10, that the dog is accompanying its master. 9 times out of 10, its master is a golfer.
This is the problem. You're placing the blame on the dog when it should be placed on the owner. When the dog is running around crazy with the owner hollering after it, that's irresponsibility from the owner, not the dog. Don't limit where responsible owners can take their dogs because of the bad apples out there.

If you keep your dog on a leash then no problem because I know none of us here want to break the law as all public parks have leash laws except in the dog park section!!:popcorn:

If you keep your dog on a leash then no problem because I know none of us here want to break the law as all public parks have leash laws except in the dog park section!!:popcorn:

Yes, we are all law-abiding role models for the rest of society to admire and envy while they watch us throw plastic at metal. :hfive:

Well behaved dogs i have no problem with the ones that are running all over the place chase after every discs, and run down the fairway where someone could hit them yeah they are a problem.

I always carry a leash in my bag, but Floyd doesn't need it. I will strap it on if I see other dogs on the course that are leashed. That usually means the owner is still training their dog. Also, he always wears his collar unless he is swimming.
Not really it could just mean that the owner is respectful of other dog owners as well as other individuals in the park. My dogs are well trained but we always keep them on a leash because we know they are dogs and as our trainer always told us do not let your dog make you look stupid.

Not really it could just mean that the owner is respectful of other dog owners as well as other individuals in the park. My dogs are well trained but we always keep them on a leash because we know they are dogs and as our trainer always told us do not let your dog make you look stupid.

Wait a sec...did I read that properly? It looks like to paid a trainer to teach you how to train your dog. :wall::wall::wall:

I've got some first run grooves for ya....only $150.00 per disc. At this price, they won't last long! Get 'em while you can! :hfive:

All joking aside, I know we have discussed this in previous dog-related threads. We should just agree to disagree.

olivebranch1.gif

I love dogs, but dogs are only as good as their owners.

about a month ago a middle aged woman had a Fat Chocolate lab running about the course. it had a leash on it but she didnt seem to understand how to hold onto it.

the dog sees us teeing up and rushes at us. He is jumping up at our faces trying to nip at our faces and disc we are hold so he can't bite. The owner of the dog is slowing walking towards us as we are being assaulted by the dog, and she is just smiling a **** eating grin.

I yell to her " You wanna come get your ****ing dog? "
" oh, he is ok " she says.

" no, he's now he's jumping all over us and trying to chew up our disc " a said pretty pissed off at this point.

" well you are teasing him with the disc "

so we cross our arms and put our disc in our armpits and to show to her we can't ignore the dog. " There am i teasing him now " The dog still jumping on us trying to nip or faces and disc.

as she slowly gets closer, the dog grabs my buddies disc bag and starts tearing away on it. I looked at her and ask " Was the bag teasing him too? "

She finally comes and grabs the dog leash and moves along with her walk.

we later hear a group of discers screaming at the lady cause the dog is chewing on their disc.

Dogs that chase discs and bark - leave at home

Dogs that don't seem to care what is going on and listen - bring

Nothing like petting a dog for a second or two to shake off a missed putt

Latest posts