• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Down or Under

Down or Under

• Down

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • Under

Votes: 56 70.9%
  • I have no experience with breaking par. :(

Votes: 7 8.9%

• Total voters

rhino21

Par Member
I've noticed that many people who play disc golf exclusively refer to being under par as 'down' (such as 5 down for 5 under par). I played ball golf a lot before I played disc golf, so the proper phrasing was always under. I enjoy both thoroughly, but I was just wondering how many in the disc golf world say down.
Your thoughts...

So by this logic is it appropriate to say Up or Over? I started my golfing with a ball. So I say under and unfortunately more often, Over.

I usually say plus or minus whatever, but if its between down or under I would say under, down just has a negative ring to it.

Coming from ball golf, I have always referred to it as 'under' but have noticed that a lot of the disc golf heads use 'down'... Oddly enough, I've never heard 'up' and mostly hear 'over' (which is why I typically stick to under)

Good question tho..

I dont care what you call it, I am still taking your moneyin the end...haha. I play ball golf so it is under

I like to mix it up. I use both fairly regularly. I might have to add 'minus' into the mix too. I do use 'over' and 'plus' as opposed to 'up' though.

In my group, two of us play ball golf in addition to disc golf. Our other friend consistently uses 'down'. But, my other friend has accidentally said down a few times from hearing it so much. I let him hold it! - I just thought it was funny.

over under sideways down

ask the yardbirds!

(I use "down" because it's one syllable. I'm basically a lazy old f@rt.)

I have a plethora of terms for score in my vernacular.

Below par can be: 4 under, 4 down, minus 4, negative 4.

Above par can be: plus 4, 4 over, 4 big, up 4

At the end of my round I like to use my total rather than relation to par. If it was a really good round it puts it in perspective, 40 throws to finish a course it sick. If it was a bad round, by the time they figure the math to see how far over par you are, you will have had time to walk away.

Latest posts