• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"dressing up" a disc?

99 cent pumice stone works better than the other things mentioned and with almost zero elbow grease - it weighs nothing and fits in any of the pockets on your bag with tons of space to spare or you can hang it from your bag with the nifty string that it comes with.
Available at any drug store in the nail polish/file section.

Another great thing about it is that it pretty much lasts forever so lending it to others to use will not make it unusable for you.

Several Atlanta area golfers have borrowed mine after seing how nice it works over the past 18 months I've had it.

Most new discs have a line along the bottom edge of the rim (when disc is right side up) that I find feels kind of uncomfortable like it is scraping my hand when I grip the disc. That line is a manufacturing defect called "flash" or "flashing" which forms at the point where the two parts of the mold come together and a small amount of molten plastic seeps into the mold joints.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molding_flash

I sand that sharp line off with fine sandpaper so that the grip feels the same as broken-in discs. I don't know if it really makes much difference in the way the disc throws but it feels better in hand.

Ive found that without that flash, The disc tends to be less stable.

I huck GLs, they dont nick :p . But realy, I always orient the disc so I always grip with the same 6" area. If a skuff or nick bothers me Ill tend to it.

if a huge chunk is hanging off then yes ill do something about it but other than that i will only wash them every few months and generally take care of all the cuts and scrapes on the disc. i will however take all new discs and rub them on the side walk to beat them in a bit more. rounding off the underside will make is more understable but really not much at all.

Last edited:
every time i get a new softer plastic putter i find some gravel and sand and give it a good rub.

if a huge chunk is hanging off then yes ill do something about it but other than that i will only wash them every few months and generally take care of all the cuts and scrapes on the disc. i will however take all new discs and rub them on the side walk to beat them in a bit more. rounding off the underside will make is more understable but really not much at all.

I wash mine after a buddy got poison ivy on his throwing hand. Probably too late to actually help by the time I get home but I do it anyways!

I let trees, rocks, baskets, etc. do the "dressing up" for me. I don't typically do anything to my discs at all. I like my discs to look just like nature makes them look.

If your not highly allergic just use dawn dish soap after a round on yourself and the disc that gets covered in PO and you should be good. I was really deep in the PO recently and I just went home washed like crazy with dawn and nothing showed up.

99 cent pumice stone works better than the other things mentioned and with almost zero elbow grease - it weighs nothing and fits in any of the pockets on your bag with tons of space to spare or you can hang it from your bag with the nifty string that it comes with.
Available at any drug store in the nail polish/file section.

Another great thing about it is that it pretty much lasts forever so lending it to others to use will not make it unusable for you.

Several Atlanta area golfers have borrowed mine after seing how nice it works over the past 18 months I've had it.

But don't you end up with grit in the bottom of your bag? The one I got from my daughter crumbled badly. FWIW, I use a small finger nail file.

After reading this tread I took some sand paper to a few old dx drivers that were beat flippy... a wraith and a destroyer. The wraith still is flip-tastical but the destroyer (released on a huge hyzer) flattened out with slight turn then nice fade... So I could see this prolonging the life of some lesser plastic disc's, not so sure I will be sanding away on my normal throwers though.

But don't you end up with grit in the bottom of your bag? The one I got from my daughter crumbled badly. FWIW, I use a small finger nail file.

Not at all - you might not have what I have though - mine is the white Pumice stone (does not disintegrate at all) and I have had it in my bag for over a year with no issues at all - I purchased it at Walgreens, but have seen them at other drug and department stores.

Maybe you have a 99 cent store one, or a Chinese knockoff - that is not a quality one. :)

Latest posts