• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Driver for 330' max arm

Depends on where you reach your point of diminishing returns. For example, my noodle arm still throws a Shryke or Tern farther than 9-speed or 10-speed discs, but if I took out the high speed driver and just stuck to a DX Beast or Sphinx, I'd probably shoot the same overall score.

I do like the suggestion above of a Pro Wraith.

I'm probably a 320-330' thrower and my furthest disc at the moment is probably my Discraft TI Vulture; which I believe is a speed 10. I seem to be able to put a little more on it and trust that it won't flip or come back if it does. I might be able to sneak a little more out of my Big Z Thrasher but I don't trust it on anything other than wide open shots where if I flip it over a bit I'm not ending up in trouble.

Depends on where you reach your point of diminishing returns. For example, my noodle arm still throws a Shryke or Tern farther than 9-speed or 10-speed discs, but if I took out the high speed driver and just stuck to a DX Beast or Sphinx, I'd probably shoot the same overall score.

I do like the suggestion above of a Pro Wraith.

I throw 450' on a good day, and the Tern and Shryke are still probably my 2 longest molds. Not necessarily the most accurate, but the longest most consistently.

The longest speed 9 discs I think I've ever thrown are the Heat, Sidewinder, and Bryce (L64). The Bryce was an unexpectedly good disc. Really long, floaty bomber for speed 9. I was overshooting holes with it because it was flying nearly as far as my much faster drivers.

I would encourage every disc golfer to try drivers of all speeds to find what works. Don't necessarily go buy them or anything, but mess around on the course and borrow other peoples' discs for shots occasionally. Sometimes you'll be surprised to find you can throw a mold you thought was off limits before.

I'm probably a 320-330' thrower and my furthest disc at the moment is probably my Discraft TI Vulture; which I believe is a speed 10. I seem to be able to put a little more on it and trust that it won't flip or come back if it does. I might be able to sneak a little more out of my Big Z Thrasher but I don't trust it on anything other than wide open shots where if I flip it over a bit I'm not ending up in trouble.

I got aggravated trying to throw a Thrasher consistently. Its a really long, glidey disc for speed 11. Problem is, it has a very narrow window of effective flight. If you torque the thing even a slight bit too hard it'll turn and burn quickly. I was able to get the Thrasher over 400', but the inconsistency made me eventually stop throwing it. For me the Thrasher flies like a really beat up Surge.

I'm about the same, in the open I get about 320-340 out of a valkyrie. I have been through a ton of drivers. I had the best luck with speed 9-10. I've thrown and had success with all of these, ranked understable to overstable.

Impulse,Valkyrie, Inertia, CD2, OLF, Tesla, Wrath, Thunderbird.

Right now I've stuck with the Impulse (167g neutron), Valkyrie (170g star), Thunderbird (170g star)

I throw about the same distance as well. I've tried out quite a few different discs. I seem to get my most consistent distance with my 170g Fuzion Escape or my 175g Pro wraith.

I throw 450' on a good day, and the Tern and Shryke are still probably my 2 longest molds. Not necessarily the most accurate, but the longest most consistently.

The longest speed 9 discs I think I've ever thrown are the Heat, Sidewinder, and Bryce (L64). The Bryce was an unexpectedly good disc. Really long, floaty bomber for speed 9. I was overshooting holes with it because it was flying nearly as far as my much faster drivers.

I would encourage every disc golfer to try drivers of all speeds to find what works. Don't necessarily go buy them or anything, but mess around on the course and borrow other peoples' discs for shots occasionally. Sometimes you'll be surprised to find you can throw a mold you thought was off limits before.

I was throwing my (speed 9) Sphinx very well on the course today, and felt like it would compete with the higher speed stuff if I threw them side-by-side.

I've got a Pro Wraith on order. If it does well, then I'll disc down to it, and at my age I don't anticipate going back up to higher speed drivers.

I was throwing my (speed 9) Sphinx very well on the course today, and felt like it would compete with the higher speed stuff if I threw them side-by-side.

I've got a Pro Wraith on order. If it does well, then I'll disc down to it, and at my age I don't anticipate going back up to higher speed drivers.

I had a brief infatuation with pro Wraiths back when they were the only plastic the Wraith came in. Those suckers are LOOONNGGG. Then one day on the course my pro Wraith suddenly became wildly flippy. Then star plastic came out and I never again threw anything in pro. I like how far pro plastic flies, but I feel like it beats in too quickly.

I'm thinking you probably don't throw hard enough to really flip a pro Wraith though. It'll probably compete for your longest driver.

Star Beast is the perfect blend of speed and control.
Heat it great, but I find it much less consistent and especially wind sensitive.
Champion Tern, once beat in, will bomb. But I find it takes a few months of seasoning to get a really long flight out of them. They start of quite stable, particularly more than Star. It will also give you a lot of skip, which can be great, not not always what you want.
Again, Star Beast. It will be your best friend.

I had a brief infatuation with pro Wraiths back when they were the only plastic the Wraith came in. Those suckers are LOOONNGGG. Then one day on the course my pro Wraith suddenly became wildly flippy. Then star plastic came out and I never again threw anything in pro. I like how far pro plastic flies, but I feel like it beats in too quickly.

I'm thinking you probably don't throw hard enough to really flip a pro Wraith though. It'll probably compete for your longest driver.

I certainly don't throw with your armspeed, and I suspect a lot of others don't, either. So yes, the Pro Wraith might be in my wheelhouse. I just hope to get the opportunity to beat it in by getting to play a lot in 2020.

At 330, any driver over speed 9/10 is worthless. Stick to the tried and true molds like Valks, Sidewinders, Roadrunners, or Orion LSs. And then a Orion LF/Thunderbird for windy days.

At 330, any driver over speed 9/10 is worthless. Stick to the tried and true molds like Valks, Sidewinders, Roadrunners, or Orion LSs. And then a Orion LF/Thunderbird for windy days.

I've always found this to be a funny thing. MOST all your top FPO women don't touch 400' most days. Take for instance Jennifer Allen the Current women's record holder. She threw 387' in the 2019 long drive competition at worlds 2019. What's her distance driver of choice? 12 speed Destroyers?

Last edited:
Streets to be fair I don't necessarily disagree with you I just find it funny men are always told "don't throw a such speed disc until you can throw some other one x amount of feet". When you consider your Average healthy male player probably throws in the 300-400' range which is around most top FPO females. Discs don't know if a Man or Woman threw them. I totally agree with the form first argument though. Your recommendations I also agree are good. Let's be real the Valk held the record for a decade. It can bomb.

Last edited:
Streets to be fair I don't necessarily disagree with you I just find it funny men are always told "don't throw a such speed disc until you can throw some other one x amount of feet". When you consider your Average healthy male player probably throws in the 300-400' range which is around most top FPO females. Discs don't know if a Man or Woman threw them. I totally agree with the form first argument though. Your recommendations I also agree are good. Let's be real the Valk held the record for a decade. It can bomb.

It kind of depends on what OP wants. I think the point in recommending 9/10 speed is that at 330 ft max, there's too much risk reward with a 12 speed driver. I mean, sure I can throw any flippy distance driver maybe 30 ft farther at times (Thrasher, Tern, Pro Destroyer, Renegade, whatever) though not always. But after enough experience in disc golf I think many come to the conclusion that one is more accurate with 9 speed and for the most part it's just not worth it the variance that a wider rimmed discs provide by nature. Plus the speed 9's can still bomb.

And, top pro female throwers, although female, likely throw a lot farther than most male DGCR members. I don't believe most of you that say you max out at 400-450 (sorry). And to your point, if I'm in distance competition, I'm throwing one of those flippy 12 speeds, but not on the course.

I've always found this to be a funny thing. MOST all your top FPO women don't touch 400' most days. Take for instance Jennifer Allen the Current women's record holder. She threw 387' in the 2019 long drive competition at worlds 2019. What's her distance driver of choice? 12 speed Destroyers?

It's funny you bring up JA because I feel like when I see her throw in tournament coverage, she is spraying those 12 speeds all over the place. She'd probably be better off clubbing down to a Valk/Thunderbird/Teebird, backing off her throw a little and throw it exactly where she's aiming.

It's funny you bring up JA because I feel like when I see her throw in tournament coverage, she is spraying those 12 speeds all over the place. She'd probably be better off clubbing down to a Valk/Thunderbird/Teebird, backing off her throw a little and throw it exactly where she's aiming.

What about Paige Shue? She is rarely the longest thrower on her card when I watch FPO coverage, and she forces over fast drivers on an anny release flex line. That's basically the opposite of what most DGCRs recommend. And yet, she keeps the disc in the fairway while playing that way and she has a world title to her name. So would you really tell her she's better off discing down to an Escape?

What about Paige Shue? She is rarely the longest thrower on her card when I watch FPO coverage, and she forces over fast drivers on an anny release flex line. That's basically the opposite of what most DGCRs recommend. And yet, she keeps the disc in the fairway while playing that way and she has a world title to her name. So would you really tell her she's better off discing down to an Escape?

Sure. Besides, Escapes can go pretty far.

You mentioned max D is 330'. Is that a consistent 300-300'? Or a "I yoinked the heck out of this one and got it to 330' but would have a tough time replicating the shot..."?

Either way, one disc I recommend is a Pro Leopard. It could be one of your regulars very soon. It does well both at 100% and 75% power and definitely has more than 330' distance potential. Learning how to throw hyzer flips and turnovers with it will be useful even if you're not using it for max D, and it is a good disc for both form work and the course.

If you want a max D disc, I wouldn't be surprised if a Tern worked well for you. There seems to be general agreement that it's a speed 12 that works relatively lower for "lower speed arms." Speeds 9 & 10s, particularly Valkyrie (maybe Pro or flippier Star), but also a Sidewinder (Star?) or Heat, also seem like decent options.

You mentioned max D is 330'. Is that a consistent 300-300'? Or a "I yoinked the heck out of this one and got it to 330' but would have a tough time replicating the shot..."?

Either way, one disc I recommend is a Pro Leopard. It could be one of your regulars very soon. It does well both at 100% and 75% power and definitely has more than 330' distance potential. Learning how to throw hyzer flips and turnovers with it will be useful even if you're not using it for max D, and it is a good disc for both form work and the course.

If you want a max D disc, I wouldn't be surprised if a Tern worked well for you. There seems to be general agreement that it's a speed 12 that works relatively lower for "lower speed arms." Speeds 9 & 10s, particularly Valkyrie (maybe Pro or flippier Star), but also a Sidewinder (Star?) or Heat, also seem like decent options.

That is I can consistently hit 330' with the scorpious. And I will be the first one to admit that it is to fast a disc for my arm speed. I can consistently hit 220 - 230 with my putters but only get 260 with my mids. I am sure it is something in my form and this winter I am spending time with my putters and mids. If it is a 300' hole I have to throw my Patriot or teebird to reach it. I do play mai ly wooded courses so me actually having the room to go for a big shot is not very often.