• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver Plastics

I think it's funny hearing people talk about the costs associated with discs. I'd rather own 1 esp surge than 2 DX wraiths. Quality over quantity all day.
But I'd rather pay for 1 DX Wraith than 1 ESP Surge. ;)

The quality over quantity thing is only valid if the more expensive disc is actually better. While the example you gave is one where the more expensive disc is probably better, there are lots of examples where the cheaper disc is better.

I throw my disc on any hole wooded, rocky, and water. what is the point of having it in the bag if you have no intention of throwing it in half of the situations it should be used for.

The question you should be asking is why would he save that? What makes it so important about those discs that he would want them to last longer? He has discs that he started with years ago that he knows like the back of his hand. You and I haven't been playing long enough to fully understand this but I imagine that one day we will.

@ garu

Most discgolfers I know own many, many discs. Especially the ones that are grown and have jobs. Hearing people weigh the financial benefits of a $8 widget over a $15 widget is silly considering most of them spend $3-$5 in gas just to get to the course each day and $5-$7 on lunch/supper. The costs associated with getting 10 of these vs. 10 of those to fill up the bag...especially considering you're looking to get years worth of use out of them is miniscule.

if you know it like the back of your hand you shouldnt have to worry about hitting a tree; it would go exactly where you want it.

if you know it like the back of your hand you shouldnt have to worry about hitting a tree; it would go exactly where you want it.

You are being unrealistic. It's fine if you don't agree but at least use some logic to argue your point. Discs have sweet spots and a certain life cycle associated with them. He is doing what he thinks is best to extend the life of those discs. That is all there is to it. If you want to smash your favorite Roc/Buzzz/Whatever into a tree during meaningless fun rounds and watch it go from stable to flippy within 2 months go right ahead. The point I made was that the best player we have here saves his best stuff for primarily tournament open hole golfing. He has other backup discs used primarily for wooded holes and uses casual rounds to experiment with newer discs to see if they are worthy of being inserted in the rotation. The point I made was merely that there might be something to this. I'm sure he isn't the only one that doesn't want to throw his highly tuned 01 ROC into a tree.

yes I think you should, having played many different sports over the years at different levels of competition I think you should always practice with the same equipment you intend to use during a serious game. not doing so, your muscle memory would not get tuned to the game day equipment.

That would be like telling Tiger Woods to practice with a different set of wedges than he uses at a tournament because he would wear the grooves out too fast.

the only time I have not done that is when I was a catcher, I used a different glove for games vs. practice but that is only because you need a fresh glove to grab the ball the best and the more beat they get the more likely the ball will slide/pop out.

Most discgolfers I know own many, many discs. Especially the ones that are grown and have jobs. Hearing people weigh the financial benefits of a $8 widget over a $15 widget is silly considering most of them spend $3-$5 in gas just to get to the course each day and $5-$7 on lunch/supper. The costs associated with getting 10 of these vs. 10 of those to fill up the bag...especially considering you're looking to get years worth of use out of them is miniscule.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm grown up and have a job and I'd rather not spend $70 if I don't have to, especially when the cheaper versions of most of those widgets are better.

If discs being cheaper isn't an issue for someone then that's a decision they make themselves. It doesn't change the fact that it costs nearly twice as much to replace lost versions of the more expensive discs. Just because you don't find the financial benefit that great doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For the most part it's just an added bonus. The real advantage is the better flights and control you'll get.

Throw what you prefer, but a premium plastic will easily outlast cheap plastic for years. One great tree whack and you've got a flippy taco. Looking backwards, I have a huge box of mangled DX style plastics that rarely see the light of day. They all have to be finessed and hyzer-flipped to properly use them. Add some wind and they are toast. I have a big ol' stack of CE/Champ/Z/etc plastics that are all broken in and maybe have a tiny hangnail somewhere. And as for the "pro" is faster than "champ", etc, etc, baloney. You're talking mighty small increments if even detectable. It's all about control and placement and shaving strokes. I think it's great there are so many choices, no doubt about it. But if you are looking for quality and lifespan, then premium is the shiz. And for distance, I want 50' or more jumps. 10'-20' ain't gonna get me too much on too many holes.

yes I think you should, having played many different sports over the years at different levels of competition I think you should always practice with the same equipment you intend to use during a serious game. not doing so, your muscle memory would not get tuned to the game day equipment.
It really depends on the situation. You probably already know your beat discs really well. Why spend even more time learning them when you can spend the time learning/beating newer discs? Eventually you'll have backups of your beat discs and more knowledge of how the new discs fly.

If discs being cheaper isn't an issue for someone then that's a decision they make themselves. It doesn't change the fact that it costs nearly twice as much to replace lost versions of the more expensive discs. Just because you don't find the financial benefit that great doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For the most part it's just an added bonus. The real advantage is the better flights and control you'll get.

For as little as 10 cents a day you could make a difference in the life of an under-privileged disc golfer. You know I normally agree with you Garu, but good grief, give me a break. We are literally talking pennies a day over the life cycle of a disc. Players should buy the type of plastic they think is best because it's what they want to use. If someone buys a disc strictly because it is $7 cheaper, they are doing themselves a disservice. I own and use $5 S Wizards because it's what I like to use. I didn't buy them because they were cheap; the fact that they were cheap was just a side note. Maybe that is what you are saying, but I just wanted to reiterate my point one final time because I'm dense like that.

For as little as 10 cents a day you could make a difference in the life of an under-privileged disc golfer. You know I normally agree with you Garu, but good grief, give me a break. We are literally talking pennies a day over the life cycle of a disc. Players should buy the type of plastic they think is best because it's what they want to use. If someone buys a disc strictly because it is $7 cheaper, they are doing themselves a disservice.
So you'd also argue that if someone bought the more expensive discs just because they're more expensive then that would be just as bad, right? That's one of the most common reasons for people buying the more expensive plastics even though the discs don't fly as well. The "it's cheaper" argument is there to show that it is actually cheaper to use the less expensive plastics for those discs. It's more of a counterargument for the false assumption that more expensive discs are cheaper.

I'll also point out that the discs I'm talking about are the ones that you'll break or lose before they wear out, not the ones like the Wraith where you probably will wear it out in a short amount of time.
I didn't buy them because they were cheap; the fact that they were cheap was just a side note. Maybe that is what you are saying, but I just wanted to reiterate my point one final time because I'm dense like that.
I said "added bonus" rather than "side note" but yeah, that's what I said. ;)

I always liked the way DX and Pro grade plastics fly better than the other plastics with a couple exceptions like, I like my Pred to stay overstable and my Flick takes all the high impact and higher chance of impact throws.

Unfortunately for me, my other discs are not available in the lower grades of plastics, but I decided on them over other discs I liked in Pro and DX grade plastic, but it has nothing to do with plastic and all about the flight.

If I wanted a disc to last forever, I'd get one made out of stone, but that probably wouldnt fly very well.

I have gravitated to wards having more high end plastics for mids and high speed drivers. If I am in the woods more then likely I am going to throw a mid for greater control. For my Fairway drivers I have a Champ, Pro, and Dx Leopard. I can cover most shots with these because of the stability is slightly greater as the plastic quality increase. I use allot of DX Teebirds and Eagles because I think they fly better in DX plastic then any other, and I feel I have better control. For high speed drivers I use high end plastic. Those are the ones that are going to hit things with allot of force, because I am trying to bomb the drive.

So you'd also argue that if someone bought the more expensive discs just because they're more expensive then that would be just as bad, right? That's one of the most common reasons for people buying the more expensive plastics even though the discs don't fly as well. The "it's cheaper" argument is there to show that it is actually cheaper to use the less expensive plastics for those discs. It's more of a counterargument for the false assumption that more expensive discs are cheaper.

Yessir. I tried to throw a few CE discs($70 and up!) and friend of mine owns, and just didn't see what all the fuss is about. I prefer ESP in Discraft, and Champion in Innova, because that is what feels best to me. I prefer the chalkyness of the S Wizards and I got 5 of those for $25. My very first discs were a dx beast that the dog chewed to a million pieces, and a champ wraith. I never worried about what they cost, and you're right that I am lucky to have a job and provide for my family where dropping an Andrew Jackson or two on discs isn't that big a deal. All I really wanted to say was go with what feels and works best for you when picking out discs. Price shouldn't be the determining factor.

i like champion or Z plastic for my drivers because they fly the same way for longer and withstand impact better. i try to only use star or ESP when i'm pretty sure i won't hit anything.

Latest posts