• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver thoughts...

Drakeab

Par Member
I am about a month and a half into the game and still tying to figure out the best bet for me to use as a driver...

My best day I played very well with a millenium JLS, throwing it RHBH straight with a little fade at the end... Since then I've lost consistency with it and have begun trying other discs... When I was throwing it well it was going about 240-275.

Whenever I throw a Valkyrie, Vulcan, groove, boss, it turns dependably right to left... I probably throw the valk and Vulcan the best, with the valk around 230 and Vulcan around 250.

I'm really looking to get a good consistent S. Any tips?

Thanks!

For your level at this point. Discraft Pro-D XL or Discraft Avenger SS. If you want to stick to Innova, Monarch, Sidewinder, Roadrunner maybe a Katana to grow into.

Start throwing something a little slower like a polaris ls or a buzzz. Distance drivers won't give you further distance like throwing the right speed disc for your arm will.

I've got some avengers I may try again... Do you think 175 or 170 is better? Also I have a monarch, but it is forest green! And my home course is all woods, I'm too scared to toss it!

at that distance i would stick to 170 and under for drivers. what weights are you throwing?

buzz is a good place to start. leave the champ roc alone for a while, it will be very overstable (fade very hard). try working on throwing with just your putters and mids for a few rounds. throwing slower discs is the best way to develop a good throwing fundamentals if you want to get better.

maybe post a bag thread to get some insight into what you are doing.

As a newer player that learned the hard way to play with slower discs, here's my two cents:

As people have already said--keep it to 7-speed or slower discs. In my experience, even though faster drivers may give a tad more distance, I developed really poor form trying to "get them up to speed."

As far as recommendations:

1. Lat 64 Gold Line River--170 or lower. This is a great driver that is kind to slower arms but is still useful when you build up power. If you're finding it too understable and want more of an "S-curve," a lighter, flatter Opto Line would be good, too.

2. Innova Star TL--165-170. This is a straighter disc that will help you get used to throwing straight-no-turn-some-fade shots. It's both a shot and disc that you'll find useful when playing different lines. The TL is not as forgiving of Off-Axis Torque as some, but that is helpful to work the kinks out of your drive.

Also, if you don't have easy access to Lat 64, a Pro-line Leopard would function in a very similar way.

But, as some have mentioned, the most helpful thing I ever did was to ditch drivers for a couple of months until I had learned to both power up AND control mids. A Buzzz is your best friend for this. Consider driving with putters, too--not only will you appreciate having the flexibility in ranges that putters give, driving with putters will also help teach good form, accuracy, height control, lines, etc.

Hope it helps!

You don't always want your discs to fly in a big S curve. In fact, it's often not the best choice. Stick with the JLS, perhaps pick up a new Sirius or Quantum plastic JLS, and learn to shape smooth lines instead of going for big nasty swooping S curves with faster discs.

A purple and gold one. :p

In all seriousness though, you've already got two really great discs in a JLS and a Valkyrie for where your game is right now. I know it's tempting to try everything out, but keep it simple for the first 6 months.

JLS
Buzzz
Putter

try just throwing these for the next month. I bet you score even better than with all your discs. Learning to manipulate a single disc into multiple flights is something that will carry you far in this game.

Consider driving with putters, too--not only will you appreciate having the flexibility in ranges that putters give, driving with putters will also help teach good form, accuracy, height control, lines, etc.

this is the best short summary i've ever read of why you should learn how to throw putters. they are so good at such a huge variety of lines over a wide range of distances, in addition to demanding sound mechanics to achieve a good throw. mids and especially drivers are generally accurate only over somewhat small distance ranges.

The Buzzz is your best friend. When I started, I picked up fast drivers because I thought they would go farther, I got on here and disced down, it has single-handedly improved my form and distance.

Leopard
Buzzz
putter of choice

That is all I threw for months. (all three still in the bag lol)

You don't always want your discs to fly in a big S curve. In fact, it's often not the best choice. Stick with the JLS, perhaps pick up a new Sirius or Quantum plastic JLS, and learn to shape smooth lines instead of going for big nasty swooping S curves with faster discs.

I like this advice for a couple of reasons. First it takes no money out of your pocket and makes your game stronger. Shaping discs is a great skill and one that translates from disc to disc. So if you can do it with a JLS you can do it with others.

Also the s curve is a great shot but just one of many and depending on the weather, may not be the best shot as wind can make this a lower percentage shot.

I am also a firm believer that it is the archer not the arrow

Cheers - Koffee

As a newer player that learned the hard way to play with slower discs, here's my two cents:

As people have already said--keep it to 7-speed or slower discs. In my experience, even though faster drivers may give a tad more distance, I developed really poor form trying to "get them up to speed."

As far as recommendations:

1. Lat 64 Gold Line River--170 or lower. This is a great driver that is kind to slower arms but is still useful when you build up power. If you're finding it too understable and want more of an "S-curve," a lighter, flatter Opto Line would be good, too.

2. Innova Star TL--165-170. This is a straighter disc that will help you get used to throwing straight-no-turn-some-fade shots. It's both a shot and disc that you'll find useful when playing different lines. The TL is not as forgiving of Off-Axis Torque as some, but that is helpful to work the kinks out of your drive.

Also, if you don't have easy access to Lat 64, a Pro-line Leopard would function in a very similar way.

But, as some have mentioned, the most helpful thing I ever did was to ditch drivers for a couple of months until I had learned to both power up AND control mids. A Buzzz is your best friend for this. Consider driving with putters, too--not only will you appreciate having the flexibility in ranges that putters give, driving with putters will also help teach good form, accuracy, height control, lines, etc.

Hope it helps!

This whole post is gold. Listen to the man. Pretty much everything you're throwing is too fast for you. I've been playing 2 years and it's all technically too fast for me too. Grow into the Valkyrie but leave it alone until you can fully utilize it.

Thanks a ton for the feedback... As usual, you guys were definitely right about discing down. I have a teebird that I figured was comparable to a leopard and threw it for both of my rounds today... Only had a couple of drives where I missed my target by a lot!

One more question... How will I know when it is time to step it up a notch from the teebird range?

One more question... How will I know when it is time to step it up a notch from the teebird range?

Good question--one I'm in the process of answering for myself. A lot of guys are going to say wait until you can push Teebirds out to 325-350 or further, and mids to 300.

I've approached it this way: once I had a consistent drive with Teebirds, Rivers, etc. and knew how to work them for different lines, I stepped up one or two speeds in similar discs--if I had the same kind of control and workability, I kept throwing it. If I couldn't handle the faster disc, I left it alone.

Like I said--this is just how I'm approaching it. I'm sure there are other good ways out there. I just ordered me some P-PD's as a step up from Teebirds. So we'll see how it works!

Listen to these guys they've helped my game a lot. We should get a round in sometime :)

Latest posts