• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving from NYC to Baltimore 10/17/18

Marcovis

GF and I are heading out East next week for work and some fun. We will be driving from NYC to Baltimore on Wednesday the 17th and want to play a round on the way down. Looking for recommendations for where we should stop to play, what is the must play course in that area? Ideally it would be a challenging, top level course that's comparable to Rolling Ridge/ BRP / Harmony Bends, Branson Trails, or similar courses. Thanks!

Check out Iron Hill in Newark DE. Plenty of challenge and just off the highway.

Stafford Woods in NJ is also very nice and just off I-95.

Tyler State Park has two excellent courses not far off I-95.

And if you take the scenic route near Allentown I highly recommend Nockamixon State Park.

Another option is Muddy Run - excellent course and a pretty drive through Amish country.

Good luck!

Last edited:
GF and I are heading out East next week for work and some fun. We will be driving from NYC to Baltimore on Wednesday the 17th and want to play a round on the way down. Looking for recommendations for where we should stop to play, what is the must play course in that area? Ideally it would be a challenging, top level course that's comparable to Rolling Ridge/ BRP / Harmony Bends, Branson Trails, or similar courses. Thanks!

Second the vote for Iron Hill as a challenging, top level course! :thmbup:

Nockamixon is a beast. 9,200 ft of challenge, with a great view of the water. Becker's Corner is a sweet lunch spot right next door and they have been good post round spot for us for years.

Tyler was a let down but it might have something to do with the hype. Expectations too high? Probably.

Iron Hill looked awesome in the Delaware open a few weeks back and I've heard muddy run is excellent but they're on my wish list so i can't provide any first hand perspective

Druid hill in Baltimore is a fun course, they have a lot of holes.

I can't say it's a top course in the world but it's far from bottom of the barrel either.

Druid hill in Baltimore is a fun course, they have a lot of holes.

I can't say it's a top course in the world but it's far from bottom of the barrel either.

We are staying at the Marriott Waterfront, looks like 15 minutes from Druid Hill. I plan on playing all three courses there on Thursday while my gf is at a conference.

So we stopped at Iron Hill on the way to Baltimore......really impressed with this course! It's not very often you get to play a course where basically every hole is 600' or longer. The course was easy to find and we had no problem finding our way around the course. Druid Hill in Baltimore was a ton of fun! I got out and played the OG legacy course first in the morning and then immediately played the new Hillway course after I finished up on Legacy. My GF was able to get away from her work conference earlier than planned so she came out and joined me on the Forest Drive course. I'm amazed at how much land access the Baltimore club (assuming that's who does the work installing courses at Druid Hill) gets from the city. Locals told me they are planning a 4th course at Druid Hill already. I wish the city of Des Moines would allow our club the ability to build a multi course facility like that. We have plenty of championship level courses in our area, but no park has multiple courses. Overall I really enjoyed the area and will be back at some point to check out other courses.