• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VA to Maple Hill

Williskaw

My friend and I are planning a trip from Richmond, VA to Maple hill in August (probably 10th-17th). Here is a tentative plan:

Day 1: Play Loriella and Millbrook. Drive to Delaware.

Day 2: Play Iron Hill and Stafford Woods. Drive to NYC. This sounds like a butt-whooping day so good thing it is early in the trip.

Day 3: Hang out in the city for a bit in the morning. Drive to MA and play Pyramids.

Day 4: Maple hill, probably play 2 rounds.

Day 5: Drive to Boston, hang out in the city and catch a Red Sox game.

Day 6: Play 501 and Wickham. Make a long drive from Wickham to Carlisle, PA to stay with friends.

Instead of driving all the way to Carlisle would it be worth it to take an extra day to play The Preserve, Jordan Creek, or South Hills? We might re-consider our plan if any of these are must play courses.

Day 7: Play Coyote Hills and Pinchot. Stay the night in Carlisle again.

Day 8: Play 1 or 2 rounds at either Ditto, Seneca, or Clark's Run. Drive back to Richmond. I've played Clark's Run in the past and really enjoyed it. I've never played Ditto or Seneca but have heard good things. What is the best option here???

I'd love suggestions if there are any great courses that I'm missing or if any of these aren't worth the time. I would also enjoy any tips on good places to stay, great restaurants or breweries to hit, etc. We are unsure if we are going to try to hit Airbnbs, hotels, or camp (probably a mixture).

all this should be easily accomplished, especially with the amount of daylight you will have. I feel you will have plenty of time to take it all in for sure. I've played a few of those and they were all bangers. List looks pretty good and fun.

Lived in the lehigh valley for awhile I loved jordan creek and south mountain

Also grew up around pinchot and coyote hills also good courses

played ditto once remember it as being worthwhile

If you are staying in Carlisle, creekside in camp hill is good, based on proximity, Codorus SP is another option

My friend and I are planning a trip from Richmond, VA to Maple hill in August (probably 10th-17th). Here is a tentative plan:

Day 1: Play Loriella and Millbrook. Drive to Delaware.

If there is any way to work in Muddy Run, do it! Muddy Run is an absolute blast to play, and not too far from Mill Brook and Iron Hill.

Day 2: Play Iron Hill and Stafford Woods. Drive to NYC. This sounds like a butt-whooping day so good thing it is early in the trip.

Shouldn't be too bad. I played those two along with Thompson Park in a day, and I'm a creaky old guy.

Day 3: Hang out in the city for a bit in the morning. Drive to MA and play Pyramids.

Day 4: Maple hill, probably play 2 rounds.

Day 5: Drive to Boston, hang out in the city and catch a Red Sox game.

Day 6: Play 501 and Wickham. Make a long drive from Wickham to Carlisle, PA to stay with friends.

This part of the itinerary is confusing. Pyramids and Maple Hill are right next to each other, and 501 is not far away. I would try to play everything in this area without taking an extra trip to Boston.

Also consider Rapscallion DGC and brewery in Sturbridge, MA. Nice course with to-go cups of beer, although I hear rumors the place may relocate.

Borderland State Park is also well-worth playing.

I enjoyed Nichols Field more than Wickham, but I prefer woods to park-style courses. Rockwell Park is also interesting.

If you want to play a Rhode Island course, I recommend Willow Valley.

Instead of driving all the way to Carlisle would it be worth it to take an extra day to play The Preserve, Jordan Creek, or South Hills? We might re-consider our plan if any of these are must play courses.

Lots of good courses in this area. I liked Jordan Creek very much.

Day 7: Play Coyote Hills and Pinchot. Stay the night in Carlisle again.

Yup and yup.

Day 8: Play 1 or 2 rounds at either Ditto, Seneca, or Clark's Run. Drive back to Richmond. I've played Clark's Run in the past and really enjoyed it. I've never played Ditto or Seneca but have heard good things. What is the best option here???

Those are all good options, so no wrong choice. Clark's Run is probably my favorite local course, but Seneca Creek and Ditto Farms are very good. Also consider Woodsboro if you like woods and elevation. Ditto Farms, Woodsboro, and Clark's Run/Seneca Creek can be easily played in a day.

I'd love suggestions if there are any great courses that I'm missing or if any of these aren't worth the time. I would also enjoy any tips on good places to stay, great restaurants or breweries to hit, etc. We are unsure if we are going to try to hit Airbnbs, hotels, or camp (probably a mixture).

Vanish Farmhouse Brewery is just down VA-15 from Clark's Run. Decent beer and good oysters and BBQ on the weekends. Dogfish Head Alehouse is not far from Seneca Creek, as is Ixtapalapa Taqueria.

B.T.'s Smokehouse in Sturbridge, MA has fabulous BBQ. Expect long lines.

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Have fun!

Thanks for all the suggestions Monocacy! We will definitely take some of those other courses into consideration.

As far as the Mass part of the trip, we just wanted to take a day trip to Boston. As much as this is a disc golf focused trip, we thought it'd be fun to catch a game at Fenway. Our plan is to stay in the Worcester area during that leg.

If there is any way to work in Muddy Run, do it! Muddy Run is an absolute blast to play, and not too far from Mill Brook and Iron Hill.

Good tip here, I never thought about bringing Muddy Run into the trip. I think we may swap out Loriella since that's a course that we could play any other time.

Those are all good options, so no wrong choice. Clark's Run is probably my favorite local course, but Seneca Creek and Ditto Farms are very good. Also consider Woodsboro if you like woods and elevation. Ditto Farms, Woodsboro, and Clark's Run/Seneca Creek can be easily played in a day.

I took this same exact advice from Monocacy last October and had a blast. Played Ditto, Clark's Run and Woodsboro all in the same day. Really wished I could've played Seneca but those 3 are plenty for a single day. I really loved Woodsboro too. Sneaky excellent course. Thanks again Monocacy :hfive:

Rapscallion DGC is closed from I've read on this site. Can you find time for Warwick NY btw Wickham and PA? Great stop!

I've made this trip multiple times. We stopped at Ditto and then Coyote Hills as a leg stretcher. Both great little courses. Jordan Creek is honestly worthy of 2 rounds. Tyler East and Stafford Woods are worthy of a slight detour. Pyramids is no Maple Hill but may be worth a stop if you like discs. If you have the energy on your way back I'd be glad to put you up for a night and show you Clark's Run or Signal View. Tons of options. Have fun.

Latest posts