• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Putters, I finally get it.

I actually do like my ESP Zone as a driving putter. I use it as a short midrange and have been having success with it, although it has a tendency to skip when I don't want it to. I've tried putting with the Zone but it seems like I can't get spin on it like my regular putters.

The zone is probably too Os and lacks any glide. Tty finding more of a traditional putter. That zone will mask every form flaw you may have. Think of it as a crutch. Not bad to have around when you really need it, but not great to rely on every day.

Personally, I love driving with the P2. It is pretty deep, and I realize some people don't like that, but I love it. I have one fresh one that's overstable, one very beat up star one that holds any line I give it and flies straight as an arrow out to about 270' (if I throw it any farther than that, it begins to drift right ever so slightly), and a very beat up P-line that will always turn over very slowly for the entire flight.

If deep putters aren't your thing, though, I would suggest the Gateway Shaman. I've thrown quite a few shallow putters (Zone, Pure, Chief, Wedge, XD, Dart, Ringer, etc.), and I believe that the Shaman is the most versatile. I expected it to be understable, but after a few throws, I realized that it wasn't understable, just neutral. It would turn if I wanted it to, but with a smooth release it would simply hold the line I gave it until it hit the ground.

Also, one of the things that I have noticed in my experience is that a good follow-through will make driving putters much easier. In one of Paul McBeth's field work videos, he throws a very beat up DX Roc with a hyzer, and because of his follow through, the disc maintains that hyzer angle despite its understability. This also applies to putters.

Last edited:
I hated driving with a putter as a newb. Get a little hung up on the rim and mix in some oat, sprinkle it with some strong arm.......and you've got the world crappiest drive. I still don't throw putters 300 ft ( unless it's down hill). But I am not afraid to reach for my summit on the tee box. I get the "f u and your putter " remark from my brother in law every now and then.

When I first started I loved throwing mids and never threw a putter off the tee. After awhile of playing with guys that threw putters farther than I threw my mids I looked into throwing putters more. I now use a Biofuzion Suspect as my driving putter. It is very straight with a little forward fade at the end. I love that I don't have to crank on it for it to fly either with the glide it has. I will throw it off the tee a majority of the time for 250' and under depending on the route needed.

Enter the new Gateway Chief! :)
Hmmm... No idea what that is but I am about to look it up!

The zone is probably too Os and lacks any glide. Tty finding more of a traditional putter. That zone will mask every form flaw you may have. Think of it as a crutch. Not bad to have around when you really need it, but not great to rely on every day.
Not really... I throw it pretty well. Straight and then fade. It's not that overstable. I throw the Zone when I want a short control shot with fade.

Hmmm... No idea what that is but I am about to look it up!

Not really... I throw it pretty well. Straight and then fade. It's not that overstable. I throw the Zone when I want a short control shot with fade.

That's not how any Zone I have ever owned flies. Zones are meathooks, and not very putterish at that. My guess is that your form is slightly off. If you like the feel of the Zone, though, you should try a Shaman (I greatly prefer it to the chief). If the Shaman doesn't fly straight for you, then it's certainly a form problem.

I use McBeth's grip that he talked about on one of his vids when I drive with my putter. Ring and pinky fingers curled under the rim, first 2 fingers are loose or sorta fanned.

Wizard or Ridge are my preferred driving putters. I find it amusing when people ask me what I just threw and are puzzled when I say it was my putter.
I think I get "what was that you threw" more with mids and putters than any other disc, regardless of how far I threw. My guess is because of the lack of super hard fade that most people get with the super fast discs they throw. I even had one guy at a tournament "reverse nice" me by saying my shot would fade way past the basket, not realizing it was a beat Roc that I threw. I ended up right next to the pin.

I feel like I don't have the grip down to drive with a putter. I'd love to use my Ion or Anode for this but they just feel too deep. Could someone who drives with these please explain the grip you use -- the more detail the better.

I'm thinking I really want to try a Harp or a Suspect for this.

I feel like I don't have the grip down to drive with a putter. I'd love to use my Ion or Anode for this but they just feel too deep. Could someone who drives with these please explain the grip you use -- the more detail the better.

I use the same power grip to drive with a putter that I do with a driver. For me, Wizards do require a bit more of a hyzer release to fly true.

When I use a putter, I use the MJ grip. Basically, your index and pinky fingers are gripping the disc like a power grip, but your middle and ring fingers are extended together under the flight plate. This grip works very well for me because I feel like it gives me more control over the release angle.

I can also use a power grip, and it works fine, but because I drive with P2's, which have a very deep rim, sometimes the power grip will make it harder to control the amount of hyzer on the disc.

Vibram Ridge - used to like these, but they seem to get worse in the hand with more wear, getting slicker over time. I've found better driving putters.

Wash your Vibram rubber with Dawn dishwashing soap. They have a tendency to absorb the oil from your hands and get slick over time. Wash it and it will be like new again.

Try a shallower putter. XD, Spike, Pure and Envy are all solid. Judge and Warden aren't bad either.

That's not how any Zone I have ever owned flies. Zones are meathooks, and not very putterish at that. My guess is that your form is slightly off. If you like the feel of the Zone, though, you should try a Shaman (I greatly prefer it to the chief). If the Shaman doesn't fly straight for you, then it's certainly a form problem.
Well my Zone is not a meathook, maybe it's your form that's off ;). You can't get your Zone to fly straight and then fade? Maybe I got an anomaly. If you want to talk meathooks, I had a 12x Champ Firebird that I got rid of because it would hook immediately out of my hand and I could never throw it flat for any reason. My Zone is not incredibly overstable, though. It's workable.

Don't try to make contact with the bottom of the flight plate like you probably do with more shallow discs. For me the grip feels quite a bit different, but it still has all the aspects of a good grip.

Well my Zone is not a meathook, maybe it's your form that's off ;). You can't get your Zone to fly straight and then fade? Maybe I got an anomaly. If you want to talk meathooks, I had a 12x Champ Firebird that I got rid of because it would hook immediately out of my hand and I could never throw it flat for any reason. My Zone is not incredibly overstable, though. It's workable.

I've got a Cryztal Z Zone, and that thing is straight meathook. I've tried pretty hard a few times, but it will NOT turn over no matter what I do. You must have the anomaly, as pretty much every Zone I've ever seen people use have been meathooks.

I've been driving with a P-Line Breaker recently, and really like that. Fills the spot between my Zone and beat in Wizards nicely.

Wash your Vibram rubber with Dawn dishwashing soap. They have a tendency to absorb the oil from your hands and get slick over time. Wash it and it will be like new again.

Awesome, I'll scrub a few down tonight and see if they have a new life! Thanks.

Latest posts