• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Putters

For me a Wizard on the stiffer side. Though unless the hole is very short (165ft or less) I feel more comfortable throwing a roc.

You know your game better than anyone else but this seems like an overstatement. I've been driving and approaching with the same two stiff KC Pro Aviars on heavily wooded MN courses for 2 and half years now. One is finally getting flippy and the other is still overstable on a 275' shot. To each his own but I wouldn't make such a harsh judgement of base plastic putters based on one Soft Challenger. A huge majority of pros and world champs use base plastic putters for a lot of shots.

If you don't like the feel of base or midgrade plastics then the FLX Challenger can work. It's still got less glide than a D Challenger but they fly better than Cryztal and break in a little faster.

I agree it depends on how you throw and all that stuff, but the mention of MN courses had me throw this out for consideration. I had a KC Roc, not a putter but I am commenting about the plastic, that was chewed up very quickly at Plymouth Creek. Courses like Plymouth, Clearwater, Lakewood, and Acorn which are more hard dirt than grass can do quite a number on baseline plastics if you are not lucky (which seems to be the key in this discussion).

Last fall through this winter my Mach Lite basket absolutely trashed an X Soft Focus. This same basket has also taken huge chunks out of a Soft Wizard and a few DX Rhynos.

I have had the best luck with Vibram putters and Ions for durability, but I also have a couple of SSS Voodoos that have held up nicely.

However, when it comes to driving, I personally find it easier to take a neutral mid like a Buzzz SS or a Fuse and drive with those with some power taken off. They sit in my hand better, giving me cleaner releases, but this is just me.

I agree it depends on how you throw and all that stuff, but the mention of MN courses had me throw this out for consideration. I had a KC Roc, not a putter but I am commenting about the plastic, that was chewed up very quickly at Plymouth Creek. Courses like Plymouth, Clearwater, Lakewood, and Acorn which are more hard dirt than grass can do quite a number on baseline plastics if you are not lucky (which seems to be the key in this discussion).

Last fall through this winter my Mach Lite basket absolutely trashed an X Soft Focus. This same basket has also taken huge chunks out of a Soft Wizard and a few DX Rhynos.

I have had the best luck with Vibram putters and Ions for durability, but I also have a couple of SSS Voodoos that have held up nicely.

However, when it comes to driving, I personally find it easier to take a neutral mid like a Buzzz SS or a Fuse and drive with those with some power taken off. They sit in my hand better, giving me cleaner releases, but this is just me.

The first summer I used my roc was at all Minnesota courses. Courses like Alimagnet, Red Oak, Acorn, Bryant, BRP, Kaposia, and Oakwood. Beaded discs don't beat up nearly as fast. And chunking them just means you hit a tree/rock really hard. I've chunked my Champ Teebird pretty badly from tree hits, doesn't mean I need better plastic. Means I threw a bad shot.

HPP Wizard then. Or try the Prodiscus Jokeri.

THIS!. Jokeri is replacing so many discs. It is great.
Beat in 173 is actually starting to turn over a bit, new 175 is very straight driving, both are wind fighting ovestable putters.

I too am looking for a premium plastic putter to drive with. I loved my pro/rpro rhynos, but my local course is full of rocks, good or bad drive you're going to hit some rocks when you land. It's really a matter of luck on how much damage will be done by them. I had a stiffer rpro rhyno that I beat into a soft floppy disc with no fade in about 4 months with constant driving and approaches. Granted, I love the way it seasoned in, but it flies nothing like a rhyno anymore. I recently switched out to Wizards and I'm loving them, although they're not as overstable as I imagined, just stable which is taking a little getting used to. I'm still not sure if I like them for driving, but they do fly forever. I've got a champ rhyno on it's way from prerube, hopefully that'll solve the problem, because I love driving rhynos. Still thinking about a HPP Voodoo though, liking the S Voodoo I have now a little more than the wiz for driving.

I too am looking for a premium plastic putter to drive with. I loved my pro/rpro rhynos, but my local course is full of rocks, good or bad drive you're going to hit some rocks when you land. It's really a matter of luck on how much damage will be done by them. I had a stiffer rpro rhyno that I beat into a soft floppy disc with no fade in about 4 months with constant driving and approaches. Granted, I love the way it seasoned in, but it flies nothing like a rhyno anymore. I recently switched out to Wizards and I'm loving them, although they're not as overstable as I imagined, just stable which is taking a little getting used to. I'm still not sure if I like them for driving, but they do fly forever. I've got a champ rhyno on it's way from prerube, hopefully that'll solve the problem, because I love driving rhynos. Still thinking about a HPP Voodoo though, liking the S Voodoo I have now a little more than the wiz for driving.

If that Champ Rhyno doesn't solve the problem, you might consider trying a Vibram VP. Stupid overstable.

I love the CryZtal Challenger. It may not have the glide of an Aviar or Magnet, but it is more consistent at higher power and won't turn over like Aviar-style putters when thrown hard. It's a great disc for hyzer approaches and the fact that it doesn't have insane glide actually makes it easier to throw it a particular distance.

Last edited:

Raptor beat me to it... a Vibram VP. I play in Odessa, TX a lot. There are rocks in the fairway and honey locust and mesquite trees everywhere. The course is murder on discs. The Vibram putters don't seem to show any wear at all in these conditions. As he said, if the champ Rhyno (a great disc) doesn't work out for you, the VP is even more overstable.

Star Rhyno Vote for me .. 250' Stright...... 300'ish anhyzer
along with a nice soft pro or r-pro for 150'-200' Fan grip drives ...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will take a look at the jokeri. I have 2 HPP wiz on the way to help push the challenger out.

I have used alot of the DX, Pro D, and middle plastics. I dont like them for driving! The amount I play leads those disc to a short life. Unless Im hurt I play 9+ rounds a week with a lot of practice in between.

Oh and for the guy that says medium Wiz? Those things are Shiat. Im not sure if it would make it to the first tree. If you want an extra I have one for ya.

Its not a more money means better issue. Quite the opposite, its cheaper for me to buy one and not have it change its flight in 3 weeks or less.

what are you looking for, more glide? straight flight? overstable flight? its just a guessing game without some info

i love my EVO wizard. i have 2 that are nice and stable and on that i got off a trade that is broken in and will do anything. right now i use the broken in EVO i got off trade. the thing is money and takes a licking. i have the same problem that putters dont last long off the tee since i play a mostly a short real woody course. a dx or ss putter wont last more than 2 months till it turns understable. i do break in a few this way for turnover putters.

Before thowing wizards i threw avairs for years. i loved the star avair and its durability. it has tons of glide and it holds great lines. i still have a few just in case i go back to the some day. Vibram ridges are also money. i threw these for a couple years mixing it in with wizards. they are very durable and the get more glide as they break in. Rhynos are cool but they werent for me. they do crush very far.

All those putters are used for holes that 320ft and in but it also depends on how much height is available. only you will know what will suit your game. wizard, avair, magets, ridge, rhynos, etc are all great driving putters. its all depends on which one is more consistent for you off the tee. good luck. oh i never liked the crystal challenger.

Ridge is as far as I am concerned the best driving putter. Great hyzer flipper, great thrown flat, never gets beat up, will fly damn near the same for years, comes in really pretty swirly rubber, it is just all around good stuff. It is easily as long as a wizard and more predictable I think.

Latest posts