• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Drone lovers

I have a Kansas City Z in the bag in a '08 FLX as a backup. I noticed the Z going straighter longer lately. Not sure if better spin or finally beating it into submission. Actually stinks though because when you need to go around trees like I do (I play really really bad in a lot of woods) nothing beats a Drone!

These are "first production runs."

A very limited run was done in 05' (not long after PDGA approval date). Between them and the white 08' Worlds FLX ones, only Pro-D was ran. Shortly after the 08' Worlds an LE FLX run was done. The blue or white Z KC Worlds are from 09'. After them, FLX went into production and LE/SE Zs were done from then on until now (won't bother going into CryZtal FLX and other more recent runs).

EDIT: Awesome mold, been in my bag for 5+ years.

I just got an ESP FLX Drone about a week ago and have only thrown it a few times, but I am excited to use it to get around trees. Mine is 182g and is like a brick! It barely glides at all, but I got it more as a specialty disc.

I like this disc so far but have yet to really unleash its potential. I can tell that it will be killer for sidearm hyzers. I am somewhat confounded by the newer FLX plastic as it feels different and is considerably stiffer than the old stuff. I am doubting that this affects its quality, but I was just wondering why they changed the plastic when it felt so good in your hands!

Also I wish there was a bee on the disc!

Well I grabbed me up a nice, gummy, pearly pink Ti Great Lakes Open Drone at the Minnesota Majestic today. Flat top, high shoulder, feels nice. Lookin forward to giving it a rip tomorrow.

Interesting side note: I also picked up a Ti Wasp that is a blue / green colorshift. This thing is incredibly gummy and translucent. It is not opaque like all of my other Ti's. anybody else encounter this blend of Ti?

Last edited:
Caught a limb at Scrapyard(Idlewild) on #9 and put my beloved FLX Drone in the pond during the 1st round of a tourney yesterday. Replaced it with my seasoned Pro D Drone between rounds and covered my needs for the second round. I love my FLX some much that I went swimming after the tourney and got my FLX back. I love trusting it for those long and glidey fades that just work. Uber reliable and a sneaky good flick disc too. Don't let that deep rim scare you away; it's very comfortable for me to flick.

Last edited:
The flx drone is probably my favorite disc i've added to the bag in the last 6 months. i back hand it some but use it more often for shorter flicks and for approach thumbers. super predictable, i love a disc that does the same thing every time i throw it.

Ummm, I have a question since I've never held a Drone. Is this thing flat? I already know its taller than a Buzzz, but is the top similar? I need to give up my not-to-throw-mids, and wonder if this would back my buzzzes for OS duties? I love flx plastic.

almost all of the ones i've had/seen are domey. a few flat ones are out there but not the norm.

Ummm, I have a question since I've never held a Drone. Is this thing flat? I already know its taller than a Buzzz, but is the top similar? I need to give up my not-to-throw-mids, and wonder if this would back my buzzzes for OS duties? I love flx plastic.

almost all of the ones i've had/seen are domey. a few flat ones are out there but not the norm.

I both agree and disagree with you here (not sure how many you've handled).

I currently own probably 15 or 20...none of which are Z plastic. Drones have a somewhat high shoulder so to speak but only two of mine are not flat. One of those two is domey, the other just isn't flat. I've owned/handled many others of all plastics, Z included.

Z Drones are usually domey.

got a pic of this?

Sure do:
20130624_133627_zpsd0799ed8.jpg

See my fingers? Picture looks blown out, but this is very much translucent even in low-light conditions if the sparkles are not illuminated. It's actually what appears to be a translucent brown dye in the plastic or smoke with the color shift sparkles added in.

When the light catches it though it looks opaque:
20130624_133719_zps5f53d3b9.jpg

Last edited:
I threw the drone today. Honestly if you pick one OS mid (Drone, Vector, M1) you are set. Pick your poison (company-wise) and you will be fine. Drone is not anything special.. But it's not bad.

^Never thrown anything DD or Prodigy due to many reasons, but you're saying a Vector or M1 (never even felt an M1) is as overstable as a Drone? The only thing I've thrown remotely close to the overstability of a Drone is a Gateway Demon.

Honest question, not trying to be a dick. Cheers!

^Never thrown anything DD or Prodigy due to many reasons, but you're saying a Vector or M1 (never even felt an M1) is as overstable as a Drone? The only thing I've thrown remotely close to the overstability of a Drone is a Gateway Demon.

Honest question, not trying to be a dick. Cheers!

I agree with Grip. In my experience, the Drone is more overstable than the Vector, Tensor, M1, etc. A Gator is fairly close to as overstable as the Drone, but it doesn't have as much glide as the Drone.

I carried a Drone for the first year or so of my DG career, but I replaced it with a Trident. I didn't use it much, but I sure did like it when I needed it. The Trident just seems to do the job better for me personally. The Drone is a great disc.

Same.

I've finally been utilizing my Drone effectively and have made some good shots with it recently. I'm really liking it for my OS midrange.

I wanted to ask if anyone has used a Drone in the different plastics and how they are different. Although I am looking on Discraft's website and it says the Drone is only available in D, FLX, and Ti. GripEnemy says he's handled Z Drones so I was curious about that. Until recently I had never considered that plastic makes such a difference in a disc's stability but now I am getting more into the nuts and bolts of disc selection.

@Kutz: A Gator is definitely overstable, but it just isn't in the same league of beef (either are great, it is a personal opinion which is better. Don't yell at me Gator Boys).

Nate, I'll be back on here in a short while and would go into detail about them if you'd like. Also, plastic does matter regarding flight path though most any Drone is very overstable - like any mold they all don't fly exactly the same.

I could compile an album of some (most?) of the Drones I've owned if a visual aid will help you or others.

I have not thrown Ti, only handled it.