• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dry Creek Water Hazard

Sketto

My disc landed in a creek bed that is always played as ob when there is moving water in it. However, the bed is 99% dry in late summer with only a few tiny pockets of standing water.

If my disc lands in one of the small, isolated, non-moving puddles that remain in dry season, is that still ob? or does it become casual water with no penalty?

I can't find anything in pdga rules that directly addresses this.

That's because OB is specified by the TD or course designer. There is no blanket PDGA rule about whether or not water is OB.

My disc landed in a creek bed that is always played as ob when there is moving water in it. However, the bed is 99% dry in late summer with only a few tiny pockets of standing water.

If my disc lands in one of the small, isolated, non-moving puddles that remain in dry season, is that still ob? or does it become casual water with no penalty?

I can't find anything in pdga rules that directly addresses this.

There won't be anything in the PDGA rules that address this because the rules aren't intended to address it. What is and isn't OB is determined by the course designer and/or the tournament director, not the rule book.

Hazarding a guess, I'd say that those puddles are OB. If the course rule is that water in the creek is OB, then moving or not moving, it's OB all the time.

However, if your on a dry island with water moving around both sides, you're OB as you're still surrounded by water. The island doesn't provide any safe haven.
It depends on how the TD specifies the OB rule. The "island" might actually be the green on some holes. ;)

Latest posts