• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dumbest Disc Purchased

when I was first starting I let the local pro who works at the shop talk me into buying a Star Kite, he said it flew great real minimal right hand turn.

Not bad advice really. The Kite is real touchy but is perfect for middish h-flip drives. Gets a large dose of hate around here though.

Oh and to the OP my dumbest disc purchased would be a opto riot, they just came out and had visions sitting on the front register next to them. I hated the riot so much I didn't try the vision until almost two years later.

Mine was more the quantity. As a beginner i lost my dragon that I used for the water holes. Every time we tried to order they had no stock, when they had stock I decided to buy a whole bunch.

By the time the discs arrived in Africa I had enough confidence to use a standard disc on water holes.

When I first started playing, I went into the only shop in town that sells discs. I made it very clear that I was new to the sport and knew nothing about the different discs. The guy working there seemed to know what he was talking about. He sold me a 175 Champ Destroyer. I guess he didn't know what he was talking about.

Top 3

3. Innova starter set. All 3 discs are 150 class? Grr.

2. Dart. Not a great putter, short of a midrange, and impossible to get a good grip on.

1. Monarch. Really Innova, this is a beginner disc? Terrible.

When I first started. Me and my2 buddys went to dicks.. that alone was a stupid purchase as we paid like 5$ more then stock prices but all 3 of us got grooves.

Innova Groove, Discraft Spectra, Discmania FD (not a bad disc, but purchased 2 of them when I already had 4 Rivers). I also feel a little stupid for jumping on the Ti bandwagon, all of those discs sit in the closet now.

I too bought a Groove right when they came out. Tried to bomb it on a hole with a marshy area on the left and immediately lost when it hooked right over there.

150 Champ Sidewinder is a close 2nd. Bought it for a beginner, was too overstable for her, and too flippy for my tastes. Neither of us had any good throws with it. Lent it to a dude who then got convicted of a crime and sentenced to 25+ years in prison...dunno where my Sidewinder is today.

I bought a proto E Hybrid. For some reason they decided that green was the best color to introduce their new "like a Teebird" disc. I lost it on the first throw.

Quest AT Backbone, I threw it for one round, got an ace. Never threw it again.

It felt so awkward in my hand and it flew flippy and inconsistent.

Two Test Material Fuse when I hadn't thrown the mold yet.
A Z Hornet.
I let a buddy take my first run cannon he loved so much and just took a retrieved star katana in trade. I traded that back to him days later.

For me, I cant think of a single disc that was really bad....what I think of is all the crazy fast discs I bought with no power to throw them. My second disc was a Wraith lol, terrible purchase

dumbest disc purchase was actually a trade. I traded a valuable disc and some cash for a disc that is probably worth 1/2 of what I thought it is worth.

dumbest purchaces were all ebay transactions for beat up circle stamp discs in 5/10 condition. some were listed as great condition, others I did not read the description very well.