• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dumbest Disc Purchased

My first distance driver was a lime pearly 1x Barry Beast - beautiful disc. I thought I wanted something else like it and got a pink pearly Monster. All it did was hyzer out on me, and then I threw it into a swamp and never saw it again.

I also own a 168 Champ Groove that is overstable for me. Has a great fade on it and works very well as a tailwind driver, but it's on the shelf until I find an actual use for it.

Whoa. I'm not going to mock you for this because you were clearly a noob, and my very first disc was a Monster... But how in the world did you think that a Monster was "like" a Beast? Did you just look at the similarity in the two names? Again, no mockery here. I bought the Monster because it said "Champion" on it and the name sounded cool. Then I threw it and went out to a better shop with workers who were helpful and picked up a Valk.

Way too easy to pick on the Groove. I only got it because it was one of the few Champ discs at Sport Chalet. One I still have and attempt to throw on a regular basis...Champy/Star Aviar P&A. On full throws, I yank it right because of the tall rim. On putts, it hyzers left of the basket. Still can't get the feel for that thing. :|

Whoa. I'm not going to mock you for this because you were clearly a noob, and my very first disc was a Monster... But how in the world did you think that a Monster was "like" a Beast? Did you just look at the similarity in the two names? Again, no mockery here. I bought the Monster because it said "Champion" on it and the name sounded cool. Then I threw it and went out to a better shop with workers who were helpful and picked up a Valk.

Lots of reasons:

1. Looked like my Beast, and I didn't have the wherewithal do take a good look at the wing shapes.
  2. Felt the same in my hand, I think (it's been a couple years since I last threw/lost it).
  3. Champion plastic = my precious.
  4. Flight chart? What? (or if I saw one, I put too much stock into it)
  5. Flight ratings - see flight chart
  6. Overstable? What?
  7. Other people in my area were throwing it and liked it, and I thought I would too (I have a star domey wraith for the same reason and I can't/don't throw it - too overstable for me.)
  8. I didn't have DCGR/DGR to search through before I made a disc purchase.
You get the idea.

The odd thing at the time is that I had a pretty decent bag: Beast/Cyclone/Teebird/Gazelle(beat)/Wasp/Comet/Birdie - the Monster would have fit into an overstable slot, but it would have been overstable because of speed and design and thus wouldn't be appropriate. I would have been much better off with something like a Gator or Banshee if I had known what I was doing.

I bought one of those camo brown/green sparkle Lat64 Opto Strikers. I kid you not, 1 throw, and I watched where it came to rest. It took 30 minutes to find, and we where right on top of it.

I dyed that b*tch red that very night.

It's close between the Groove and the Quarter K, but I believe the Quarter K wins. There was so much hype leading up to the release of that disc-it quickly proved to be a dissapointing purchase.

Champion Starfire. I was a complete beginner and definitely didn't have the arm speed to throw that disc right. Plus I got it at Sport's Authority which is like 18 bucks (and I have discgolfcenter 30 minutes from my house).... what was I thinking :doh: Of course I got more power and it got a little beat in and eventually gave me some good distance, until my friend threw it in the river.

It was a Buzzz SS for me. Thing was freakishly overstable compared to what I thought I was supposed to be getting. Best day ever was when I torqued that fr right into a pond on my local course. Good riddance.

It was a Buzzz SS for me. Thing was freakishly overstable compared to what I thought I was supposed to be getting. Best day ever was when I torqued that fr right into a pond on my local course. Good riddance.

THANK YOU! I had such high hopes, now I don't even use a midrange anymore. I can normally hit the basket with my teebird. haha

!

Groove, Halo, Double D (with dimples!). Between me and my 14 year-old getting into it this year, we've made some mis-steps for sure.

Monarch was not too bad, but I traded it for a Starfire, which does not do much for me.

OTOH, best purchase has been the Stratus, Super Stingray, and Mamba.

Epic for sure.

Tye dyes are not a good idea either. Some of those dyed discs may as well have cloaking devices.

None of the discs I bought were stupid, they were just discs. I might have expected the disc to fly differently when I threw them. I was more disappointed earlier on in my golfing career, but it is all a learning process. The better you get, the (usually) better purchases you make. That being said, my favorite color is green and I was very stubborn. I have a knack for buying hard-to-find discs....

Latest posts