• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Valkyrie

kinger

Birdie Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
A 150 gram DX Valkyrie was one of the 1st discs I ever bought, and the 1st driver I got good with on a consistent basis.
I'm left hand back hand and over the past couple of months this disc will turn left after release and not come back around like it used to. I've tooled around with flat and hyzer release angles and the results are typically the same.
Keep in mind this is a disc I essentially started playing with and I'm pretty sure my form and power are much better now.

Is there a typical reason why this happens?
Would a heavier Valkyrie work better for me?

150s are easy to overpower, which will cause this and the more beat up the disc becomes, the easier it is to have it turn over like you describe.

Heavier can help, but so would a better plastic like champ, star, or even pro (which just recently became available again) to maintain the flight longer. (I just sort of went from most durable to least there)

Depending on how far you are throwing, I wouldnt go to radically different than your 150 DX.

I'm not all that experienced but I had a 150g valk and I thought I was kind of starting to overpower it. Then I started to throw my aviar dx and roc dx for drives which must have helped me with technique problems. As I have gotten better with driving the putter and mid range all of a sudden I was able to bring the Valkrie back and throw it without it going hard right (RHBH). It goes a lot farther now too. I do know the discs are supposed to start going further and further right (left for you) which is more understable as you use them more, but for me it wasn't that as much as bad form. Now that I am able to throw the valkrie again without it going hard right I can throw it a little over 300' which isn't much but it is good for me.

Yea, once those DX 150 Valk's get beat in, they get very understable, but I've had my longest drive ever with one. BUT, the 150's became a little unpredictable for me. Try better plastic as Techno mentioned and maybe a little heavier. If you are comfortable with that weight tho, stick with something close to it. I've been playing about a year and a half and one of my favorite drivers is a 169 Star Valk. If I'm just starting a round, I will use that disc for my straight and/or slight hyzer shots. Usually after I'm warmed up, I will use that for more understable shots, i.e. uphill or awkward stance.

If you really like the weight at 150g, they make the valkyrie in champion plastic at that weight as well. Also, be aware of how the wind is blowing. Wind can really change the flight path of discs that are understable.

I just bought a used Champion JK Valk as a little beafier compliment to my DX Leopard. I didn't have any other stable/understable discs to backhand with so I thought I'd try one out. :)

As regards your post, if it's a DX Valk it's probably quite beat up and has lost a lot of it's stability. I have a DX Firebird that's done the same (I used it for all my sidearm drives). I was throwing it flat when I first bought it but now I have to release it on a hyzer and it pops up flat (sometimes goes left and takes a while to come back).

You could try a Champion Valk as it will hold it's flight characteristics for much longer.

Last edited:
what everyone else said, and stick with Valkyries, I use to love mine until I lost it recently (I found it i didn't buy it though, so it evens out)

I throw a beat-up 163 DX Valk on long turn over shots. I don't throw it hard and I release with a decent amount of hyzer on the disc...it will turn and then settle flat.

Try throwing it with less power.

like most people have said 150's require some finesse and won't handle a ton of power.

It's hard to isolate just one thing from the OP - it could be

1) the disc is beat up (post a pic?)
2) your form is bad (post a vid?)
3) your form is fine, and you've gained more power (you need to finesse the disc, not rip it)

However if it's a DX 150-class and your go-to driver I think it's probably a combination of 1 and 2, or 1 and 3. Like people have said, bump up to mid 160's. I love Star Valks personally, but the premium plastics are different out of the box than DX's so know that going into it. However they will hold that sweet spot longer once you beat them in.

P.S. Left Side!