• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Wolf opinions

Kevdude82

Par Member
Anyone have any experience with the Wolf? I picked one up recently, and was just wondering what peoples experiences & opinions are with them. I personally found this disc to work best as a long range putter for me.

There's a course that I play once or twice a year that I will bring an old dx wolf with just for the occasion. It has a lot of low ceiling roller shots that finish right. The dx wolf is a fantastic disc for those type of shots. For people that are just starting out, the wolf isn't a bad disc. For people wanting to learn how to throw rollers, the wolf is an excellent disc for that as well.

I have a max weight DX Wolf and it is easily one of the most understable mids in my arsenal. A finesse disc in every sense of the word. Hope you like hyzerflips, because that is what you are gonna get from the ol' Wolf. I have a buddy whose wife uses one as her putter, and she is damn good with it.

I know a Guy who has putted with them for years.

I had a Wolf for a while, it's not a bad disc but it gets a lot of hate around here. It makes a good short range fineness disc. I used it as a flippy woods utility disc, rollers, short range hyzer flips. Can throw some mean annies with it too. I eventually replaced it with a Panther.

Last edited:
I learned how to throw rollers with one because it was so understable that's all it could do...
I didn't really mean for that to look like a troll post. Let me rephrase.

I learned how to throw rollers with one because that all I could get it to do. I'm a big guy and it took awhile to learn how to power down a disc...

I agree with the posts so far. Treat it more like a putter-speed, finesse/roller disc. It probably wont be a staple of your bag, but it can be a good tool to learn rollers (that was my experience at least)

Its actually a really good disc for begginers. Or even people who have been playing awhile but have low power (like my dad.)

It has a pretty unique shape and feel as well. Good for little hands.

I throw with a guy whose only disc is a DX Wolf. The first time I threw with him I just chuckled a bit at the first tee. Then we teed off. I made him let me look at the disc, because in my mind there was know way it was actually a Wolf. He put that thing on a high, straight, hyzer flip that easily went 250 feet, quite possibly more. He did this the entire round. One of his drives with it was over three hundred. As impressive as the drives were, his approach game with that disc was just insane. Never left more than a ten foot putt in 27 holes. Not one. Needless to say he beat every one of us by at least six strokes. All of us with a full bag. Him with a lowly DX Wolf. It was honestly the most impressive round of disc golf I have ever seen thrown. I asked him how long he had been throwing that wolf and he said it was the first and only disc he'd ever bought and that it was at least ten years old but maybe more. To this day thinking of that round makes me smile.

I just started this last spring, and it was one of the few that was very easy and consistent for me (165gm DX)... about two months in I aced a 125' tunnel shot hole, then a couple weeks later dropped one in about the same distance on an approach shot ... I used it quite a bit for a putter too...

I was suprised to see that it did not get much affection on here, but worked very well starting out for us ... I would need to get a newer/heavier one for use now though ...

I've only really used it a few times on the course, mainly for long putts, but I throw it on the practice field, And I do like the feel of it in my hand and the release. I'm just now starting to learn more about discs, their flight patterns and their capabilities. I was just having a tough time figuring out what the Wolf could be used for. I seem to putt decent with it, but I get the feeling that it wouldn't hold up in tough winds. Thanks for the input, everyone!

It's not my first suggestion for a beginner based on its combination of small diameter, understability and low glide. If you treat it as a putter it will probably due just fine.

Nothing but lies in this thread. Anything the Wolf does well there are unlimited other discs that would do it better, plus other things.

I think the wolf is useful for new and low power players. Is it a *great* disc? Probably not. But it is useful.

Nothing but lies in this thread. Anything the Wolf does well there are unlimited other discs that would do it better, plus other things.

... hmmm, might as well just close the thread then I guess ... I guess that puts us in our places ... ;)

Last edited: