• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Wolf opinions

Necrobump: I got one of these, unprompted, as a gift. Is there a point to this disc? Crazy flippy but with low glide seems like a weird combination

One of my buddies still throws a DX Wolf as his main driver. He throws the Wolf > 300', way up in the air, starting on a steep hyzer and letting the disc to slowly turn the whole flight.

Crazy to watch. In the woods he's looking for lines way up in the canopy lol.

Maybe they sold the mold well in the past but they do not realize that the plastic type affects the way a mold sells or flies/feels in that plastic? Or maybe your local Academy Sports want new players to search for ever for the Grove disc that they are trying to replicate its flight? None of the Champion Grove discs fly even close to the same unless a disc was to be made scientifically exact to the 0.000 repeating forever exact Standards to have a mold fly or feel even close to the same as the next one. I should know, I grabbed two of the same Champion Groove mold back in 2014 and one of then had a bigger gap then the other, I checked the discs to see if one with smaller gap was a Monarch with wrong stamp and it was not. They only had two but it was enough in that small selection of discs at a Gas Station to know it was still made bad. That was when I got my first regular Champion Destroyer the more beefy 170 gram normal dome that just hyzers.

IMHO the Innova sales people duped the Big Box stores and PIASs into buying Grooves and other discs that aren't always wanted by the more serious DG players. For example, when the VRoc first came out, the PIAS nearest me had a TON of them. They'd overbought that mold, and they sat on their shelves for months going on years. I felt like they were given bad advice and ordered wayyyy too many.

The Dick's Sporting Goods always had a ton of Grooves, and I suspect Innova unloaded their vast quantities of Grooves onto the unsuspecting and unwitting Dick's Sporting Goods purchasers. Academy Sports is a little better, but try finding a DX Teebird at any of these Big Box stores? A bit harder to get.

IMHO the Innova sales people duped the Big Box stores and PIASs into buying Grooves and other discs that aren't always wanted by the more serious DG players. For example, when the VRoc first came out, the PIAS nearest me had a TON of them. They'd overbought that mold, and they sat on their shelves for months going on years. I felt like they were given bad advice and ordered wayyyy too many.

The Dick's Sporting Goods always had a ton of Grooves, and I suspect Innova unloaded their vast quantities of Grooves onto the unsuspecting and unwitting Dick's Sporting Goods purchasers. Academy Sports is a little better, but try finding a DX Teebird at any of these Big Box stores? A bit harder to get.

I agree that Innova seems to sell their castoff discs to Dicks and other similar stores. You can find good discs at these places, but you'll inevitably end up seeing a ton of junk too.

As for the Wolf, its one of the most thoroughly useless discs I've ever seen. Even the gentlest of tosses flips it over violently. I'd rather just throw a Roc3 if I need a disc of that speed.

I agree that Innova seems to sell their castoff discs to Dicks and other similar stores. You can find good discs at these places, but you'll inevitably end up seeing a ton of junk too.

As for the Wolf, its one of the most thoroughly useless discs I've ever seen. Even the gentlest of tosses flips it over violently. I'd rather just throw a Roc3 if I need a disc of that speed.

Academy Sports has started bringing in more Dynamic Discs discs, though they still have a good bit of decent Innova discs.

I'm taking up for the Wolf because it gets no love, but if I need an understable approach or mid I'll use the Patrol, Wombat3, Mako3, or Prodigy M4 or M5...

Wal-mart's in my area have not been so kind. They have nothing or worse: Franklin discs...

I used to occasionally find those Franklin discs in lakes at a local course. At one point I was pulling a fair number of them out. I see now why so many of them ended up in the lake. They fly like absolute crap.

I wasn't aware the Franklins were even still being produced.

I used to occasionally find those Franklin discs in lakes at a local course. At one point I was pulling a fair number of them out. I see now why so many of them ended up in the lake. They fly like absolute crap.

I wasn't aware the Franklins were even still being produced.

You can get them on Amazon still with the basket that has improved a bit since they first made it, the original lightweight basket would last maybe a year being used a few times a week at only 1/2 hour at a time. Now the basket can last just you have to put it indoors after every use.

Wal-mart's in my area have not been so kind. They have nothing or worse: Franklin discs...

I bet if they sell the toy Wham-O Frisbee's then they will have with 95% of them legal to use the last 5% are the Frisbee's that are too small to use or the mini markers.

Last edited:
I tried the Wolf over and over but my Cobra is way more versatile. I'd like to not write the Wolf off and try it again though. I just find it very limited.

I tried the Wolf over and over but my Cobra is way more versatile. I'd like to not write the Wolf off and try it again though. I just find it very limited.

Yeah, I'd like to spend some time with my wolf this summer since I've never thrown it.

My Mirage gets all of my short understable shots, so I don't have high expectations for the Wolf.

Uses for the WOLF

Okay, here it goes... I got my 172g DX Wolf and took it to the course for a few rounds this past week. I am finding that to the contrary of the Haters of the Wolf, this disc is not bad. At all.

Not saying it's great, either, but it's not bad. My Wolf is not (yet) flippy understable, though it is understable. It has tremendous glide, and I've threaded the needle with it on several wooded holes for some good results. In some ways, the Wolf is like a lightweight Polecat, but longer: one doesn't have to throw it with power to get good distance and pretty accurate results. The Wolf is not an approach disc, but gets full mid distance.

It's not all a bed of roses, though: that same tremendous glide is sometimes too much glide. For example: There is a wooded/technical hole on my home course. Straight with some open lines and some guardian trees. The front basket is at 190 ft. with 3 guardian pines right in front of it. The back basket is 237 ft., and there's a third basket position between them but way to the right.

I threw the Wolf towards the basket in the front position. I hit the hyzer line nicely to get around the three guardian trees. I didn't throw all that hard, just paid attention to snap and form. The Wolf sailed by the front basket. When I got up there, I found the Wolf next to the concrete base... the empty concrete base of the back basket. I'd thrown that disc nearly 240 ft. with what felt like little effort, and wayyyyy overthrew the target. (I now throw the Polecat at that front position.)

I've also had some approaches of 150-200 ft. where the Wolf drifted right (RHBH throws) and didn't fade back, leaving me to the right of the basket. Back to the Star Stud for those approaches...

So the Wolf has saved me some strokes, but cost me a few as well. But in the overall, it's not the abomination many say it is, and it certainly is not the atrocity the Groove is. I'd suggest you (plural) try it, especially if you're more noodle-arm-"ish" like me and/or are looking for a good understable mid. The Wolf might pleasantly surprise you. :thmbup:

(Have at it, Haters. :popcorn: )

Last edited:
If you feel like it has tremendous glide for you, that's fine. For me it flies like a brick.

I mean even Innova concedes that it doesn't glide. They give it a glide of 3. Only the Gator, Rat and Caiman have lower glide ratings for an Innova mid, and they are all meathooks. The Spider is the only other glide 3 mid, every other mid Innova makes is rated glide 4 or higher. Kites and Wombats have a glide rating of 6. Stingrays and Mantas have a glide rating of 5.

The glide rating of 3 gives it a similar glide to a putter, which lined up with the glide I felt I got out of it. The whole point of putters is that they don't glide, so...

I still hate it. :|

If you feel like it has tremendous glide for you, that's fine. For me it flies like a brick.

I mean even Innova concedes that it doesn't glide. They give it a glide of 3. Only the Gator, Rat and Caiman have lower glide ratings for an Innova mid, and they are all meathooks. The Spider is the only other glide 3 mid, every other mid Innova makes is rated glide 4 or higher. Kites and Wombats have a glide rating of 6. Stingrays and Mantas have a glide rating of 5.

The glide rating of 3 gives it a similar glide to a putter, which lined up with the glide I felt I got out of it. The whole point of putters is that they don't glide, so...

I still hate it. :|

The Polecat has a glide of 3 and a speed of 1, and it's a pretty glidey disc. Aviars are speed 2 and glide 3 and aren't as glidey (to me). It has always seemed to me that glide is relative to its disc's speed, and there's no real standard of measuring it.

The Wolf is listed as 4, 3, -4, 1. I'm not getting -4 turn nor 1 fade. The Foxbat is -1 turn and 0 fade, meaning it doesn't fade back, and I'm getting more of that from the Wolf. I'd rate my fresh Wolf at 5, 5, -2, 0. Over time I'll get another Wolf and see if this is consistent.

TL;DR: the numbers aren't standardized and are often inaccurate. And a disc some people hate might be just fine for others.

Last edited:
the numbers aren't standardized and are often inaccurate. And a disc some people hate might be just fine for others.

Agree with this.

Disagree with recommending it in general.

To summarize the earlier post: for a recreational player with lower power, the DX Wolf is not bad, but not great. While inconsistent, it falls short of being an abomination or atrocity of a disc.

Not exactly a glowing review.

The rumor was that Harold Duvall used to roll them, and if you are Harold Duvall you have the clout to keep a worthless, pointless disc in production. So you see them at Dick's and they probably sell a bunch to poor, unsuspecting saps who (if they survive the experience to try another disc) will instantly think they are improving a lot once they throw a different golf disc.

Unless it is a Grove from Dick's Sporting goods. :D

Latest posts