• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dye alternatives, and broader ranges of colors

Pylam Colors

Yo,

Here are some examples of Pylam's colors for your reference. These were hand painted on an MVP Proton Mini.

I dissolved all dyes into hot water, .5% dye to 99.5% water. Added in a bit of vinegar, and shook thoroughly. Added low foam synthrapol from ProChemical, as well as their Dye Carrier NSC.

I added the mixture to equal part thickening agent (I made a thick paste using Prochemical's Thick F).

I let the dye sit on the disc for approximately 75 minutes.

rsz_1rsz_2014_09_21_23_22_06_209.jpg

Yo,

Here are some examples of Pylam's colors for your reference. These were hand painted on an MVP Proton Mini.

I dissolved all dyes into hot water, .5% dye to 99.5% water. Added in a bit of vinegar, and shook thoroughly. Added low foam synthrapol from ProChemical, as well as their Dye Carrier NSC.

I added the mixture to equal part thickening agent (I made a thick paste using Prochemical's Thick F).

I let the dye sit on the disc for approximately 75 minutes.

Nice work...Good reference! How do you like that thickening agent? Curious how that works

Thanks heddykevy! Great reference! I haven't used Pylam's dyes but any time someone spreads good info is worth thanking them for!

455.gif

Prochemical thick f

Nice work...Good reference! How do you like that thickening agent? Curious how that works

Quick disclaimer, I have not used other thickening agents (ie: clear laundry detergent) so I do not have a frame of reference. Will be getting some clear detergent in the near future to make comparisons.

With that said, so far I do like Prochemical's thick F. It's easy to tailor the recipe and make an agent that is as thin/thick as you want. I made a few batches with varying thickness.

The recommended recipe is on the thinner side, with viscosity resembling that of Elmer's Glue. I think it's too thin, it runs a lot, and haven't yet found a great use for this.

For my thickest batch, the texture is similar to rubber cement. The rubber cement texture does require a lot of Thick F, so I use it sparingly. It doesn't run, so it works well for intricate hand painting, as well as for discs with a high dome, or if you are applying dye along the rim.

The batch I've been using the most has thickness somewhere in the middle. It does run a bit over time after it is applied on the disc, so I've been masking the areas around the where the dye is applied.

Quick disclaimer, I have not used other thickening agents (ie: clear laundry detergent) so I do not have a frame of reference. Will be getting some clear detergent in the near future to make comparisons.

With that said, so far I do like Prochemical's thick F. It's easy to tailor the recipe and make an agent that is as thin/thick as you want. I made a few batches with varying thickness.

The recommended recipe is on the thinner side, with viscosity resembling that of Elmer's Glue. I think it's too thin, it runs a lot, and haven't yet found a great use for this.

For my thickest batch, the texture is similar to rubber cement. The rubber cement texture does require a lot of Thick F, so I use it sparingly. It doesn't run, so it works well for intricate hand painting, as well as for discs with a high dome, or if you are applying dye along the rim.

The batch I've been using the most has thickness somewhere in the middle. It does run a bit over time after it is applied on the disc, so I've been masking the areas around the where the dye is applied.

Thats funny...When you mentioned that Thick F a while back, it didn't click with me that all that is is Sodium Alginate. I have been experimenting with this stuff for a second now... First with my tie dyes about a year ago and most recently I tried making a large batch to use as a base to replace using dish gel in those "spacey" style dyes. I was trying to find something that would accomplish the same crazy effects without eating through the stamp...Unfortunately this still eats through the stamp. Maybe not quite as bad as the dish gel, but still makes it disintegrate somewhat. Thinking of trying pectin next as a base.

Id be curious to hear back any experiences you have using this stuff...and seeing the results

This is where I get mine from just in case you want to compare pricing in the future...Dharma also has a grip of other useful dyeing goodies

http://www.dharmatrading.com/chemicals/sodium-alginate-thickener.html

has any one made a mix w prochem/pylam for the hand painting technique? id like to try my hand at that.

also, if any one is putting in any orders for dye soon, let me know. I'm running low.

Anyone have any bright Pylam left or other brands of bright/neon colors to sell?

Who has used ProChemical dyes? Is it worth trying?

Yes. Especially Bright Red. I also like bright blue from the little i have used it. Unfortunately I mixed all my bright blue with water so I never got a chance to paint with that one...but bright red is amazing. The rest in the sample pack don't seem any different than idye to me.

Yes. Especially Bright Red....

Anyone happen to have pricing/order size info for prochem?
I don't know what I will do if I run out of bright red....

In the same vein, if anyone is thinking about a pylam order, let me know.

Darker Brain Waves

Does anybody know how to get darker brainwaves? All of mine come out with just the outline and not filled in.

Attachments

• 20150313_090915.jpg
    20150313_090915.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20150324_220151.jpg
    20150324_220151.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 78
Anyone happen to have pricing/order size info for prochem?
I don't know what I will do if I run out of bright red....

Good news! Just went to pro chem's site and they sell 2oz packets of their Prosperse dyes for $3-$8, depending on the color.

Definitely going to try the "Flame Scarlet". Maybe their "Meadow" green can rival Pylam?

Pro Chem Dyes - Link

Maybe they have always done this, but I don't remember seeing it last time I was there.

Good news! Just went to pro chem's site and they sell 2oz packets of their Prosperse dyes for $3-$8, depending on the color.

Definitely going to try the "Flame Scarlet". Maybe their "Meadow" green can rival Pylam?

Pro Chem Dyes - Link

Maybe they have always done this, but I don't remember seeing it last time I was there.

still ends up being over 100$ if you order a few... might as well order the lb and split it up i think. its been a while since i last looked into these though

I'm using worm dip dye (bought 8 colors) and it works great for paining on. Great for spins, etc.

But... After it dries completely, it wipes off :( color stays but I need to be able to clean it up. Color is fast, but even with a run under warm water for a few minutes, it wipes off with wet wipes. I know the dip dye is acetone based and dries very quick, I'm hesitant to wipe down with acetone and risk smearing the colors.

Anyone have a good way to clean these worm dyes up so the excess dye is gone and not smeared?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts