• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dye Commission Question

Doupie620

Banned
How much more difficult is it to dye a PHOTOGRAPH image onto a disc compared to a design?

My avatar is one of my dogs puppies and the pic I took came out perfect. She is going to be a present for my god daughter, but I would like to remember her like this...and I thought a putter would be a good disc, possibly a midrange. Can this be done? What is the normal charge?

Photographs can be done, you just end up with a stenciled version of the image:
Champion%252520Banshee%252520-%252520Alan.jpg

If you want a photo reproduction, dyemax is probably you're best bet. But I bet someone with good brush skills could do a pretty good recreation of it. That disc DyeingToPlay did of his bird (it's his avatar right now) comes to mind. Nothingness has pretty good brush skills too, might want to check with him.

It all depends. If you want more detail and won't throw the disc, spend the $25 and get DD(or any of the other shops that do it) to print you one. If you want a reasonable reproduction of the image on a disc that you will play with, get somebody(not me) to dye it for you. I recently did a workaholics dye from a photo, and have done a couple other portraits from photos. They were all monochrome though, and I'm sure technicolor would only be more difficult.
Those DyeMax printed discs are cool, but the image will scratch off like a lotto ticket. I'm not sure, but I think the cost includes a new disc. It's cheaper and looks nicer, but all you can really do with it is hang it on your wall like a picture(and not in the sun cuz it will quickly fade).

I've heard/read that the dyemax is a printing process and they can do any image, but they tend to scratch off/get messed up pretty quickly if you are actually throwing the disc. Dyes on the other hand dont get scratched off but tend to blurr and fade. I did my bird putter from a photo turned into a basic black/white outline drawing (stencil) then painted the details with an acetone mix.
I've been thinking about putting a portrait of our dog on a disc as well. Hit me up if you decide against the dyemax/ and or cant find anyone else to paint your puppy on a disc. I've not done any real commisions yet, but I'd be willing to give it a try.

Photographs can be done, you just end up with a stenciled version of the image:
Champion%252520Banshee%252520-%252520Alan.jpg

If you want a photo reproduction, dyemax is probably you're best bet. But I bet someone with good brush skills could do a pretty good recreation of it. That disc DyeingToPlay did of his bird (it's his avatar right now) comes to mind. Nothingness has pretty good brush skills too, might want to check with him.

No brush skills from me. I'm strictly a dip in the dye guy with a few secret weapons up my sleeve. I would also take a crack at this dye. PM me if your interested

Last edited:

Latest posts