• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyeing yellow star plastic

byrdr28

I am getting ready to dye a yellow star destroyer and have all the idye colors at my disposal, I am doing an outer ring dye and haven't done much dyeing on yellow. Anyone had better luck with one color over another on yellow plastic?

Also, I don't think I am going to be able to float it because it wont reach the outer edge given the discs shape. What is the best method? If I was going to paint it on, should I just use dishwasher gel and straight dye powder with a little acetone? if so, how long after painting it on should I let it set? thanks in advance

My advice: find a beat up star disc for cheap off the MP and experiment before going live on the one you want to keep. Folks can tell you all kinds of neat stuff, but your first attempt should be on a junk disc.

11465065653_817502c681.jpg

Someone did this for me, Star Teebird in Yellow, the green and black really seemed to take.

If you look through my dye album you will find several discs that were dyed on yellow discs. Most colors seem to take well and look pretty good. Black and red work really well, And I've dyed blue, green, red, brown, and other colors on yellow champ type plastic with no problems.

Last edited:
I just did a yellow star eagle x and my purple idye looked almost red - a deep dark red, but more red than purple. I dipped the eagle though, and didn't paint it on. Also, I mix all of my dyes with 32oz of water.

The Blue Idye I used on the same disc looked more gray than blue. I also checked my disc every couple of minutes and do a rinse or wipe check to see how the color is taking, so it wasn't my fault by leaving it in too long, it just didn't come out very good on yellow.

Hope that helps

I have done only 1 yellow star disc - an understamped Wraith. Only used black, but it took as well as any star plastic does.

Attachments

• 0114142348.jpg
    0114142348.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 62
What I like about yellow Star plastic is all the different colors/shades you can get using only red, and the contrast of black on yellow.

Some Green, Gold & Orange on a Yellow Star Boss

I know this is an 8 year old post but I found this while trying to figure out what colors to dye my yellow disc. Enjoy!

wdstgzq3q8591.jpg