• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dyeing Innova Galactic Plastic

dmoore1998

Eagle Member
Just curious if anyone has had success/tips/tricks for dyeing Innova Galactic Plastic.

I wanted to dye some a single color. Ran a test run last week and managed to dye it to my liking with an extended time in some warm/hot water with the dye (about the only kind of dyeing I really do, to put a single color into the plastic) but it ended up being too hot and melting the stamp off.

I know it's probably tough to do being a baseline plastic, but it took dye a lot better than other baseline plastics I've tried. Just curious if anyone had any luck with other methods.

baseline plastic does not dye well, even if you get it to dye it will fade quickly

This took the dye better than I expected (as compared to other baseline plastics I've fooled around with at least), fading isn't a concern really. Just trying to turn it from what I feel is a "dull" grey-ish color to something with a little more color to it. I experimented with some paint also but it looks a little more monochromatic than I was hoping for (and keeping it off the stamp was a pain).

This took the dye better than I expected (as compared to other baseline plastics I've fooled around with at least), fading isn't a concern really. Just trying to turn it from what I feel is a "dull" grey-ish color to something with a little more color to it. I experimented with some paint also but it looks a little more monochromatic than I was hoping for (and keeping it off the stamp was a pain).

FYI paint makes the disc illegal for PDGA play, if thats something you are into. i dyed one baseline putter and the dye was gone within a week, so premium plastic to dye for me going forward.

FYI paint makes the disc illegal for PDGA play, if thats something you are into. i dyed one baseline putter and the dye was gone within a week, so premium plastic to dye for me going forward.

It's actually a mini, which is why I wasn't worried about painting it. It's just a very cool mini that I really like, other than the grey color to it. The paint pen also kind of smeared the stamp in an unattractive way. Experimenting with just using a colored sharpie to give it a tinted color (and since it's a mini, it won't take me all day to do).

I actually really dig the color the dye gave my experimental one (it's a light-ish color that compliments the underlying galactic plastic nicely)...I just don't think it's possible to replicate without having it boil in the color so hard that the stamp melts off.

It's actually a mini, which is why I wasn't worried about painting it. It's just a very cool mini that I really like, other than the grey color to it. The paint pen also kind of smeared the stamp in an unattractive way. Experimenting with just using a colored sharpie to give it a tinted color (and since it's a mini, it won't take me all day to do).

I actually really dig the color the dye gave my experimental one (it's a light-ish color that compliments the underlying galactic plastic nicely)...I just don't think it's possible to replicate without having it boil in the color so hard that the stamp melts off.

oh i should have made the connection lol. you can use wood glue to cover the stamp in the future if you don't want it affected. Not sure if you are on facebook but there is a disc dyer page that is a gold mine of information and dyers sharing their techniques.

Latest posts