• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Supportive card-mate talk (?)

I have 3 brothers and 4 nephews who play disc golf. Brotherly love sometimes includes ridicule.

The guys I play with casually would laugh you off the course if you are thin-skinned. We don't play that way in events though. There's a time and a place for everything, etc, etc...

Quick story. We had two groups playing last night. I was on the first card, 'that guy' was behind us. We finished the last hole (blind par3, very difficult to get C1), and waited for them to finish. We wait for a good throw, see it coming, hear "oh go in" from that guy, he lands 40' short, but we throw one in the chains and start screaming like he aced. So glad it was that guy who had the best throw. He's the only one of us vain enough to actually think he could ace this hole. Warmed my heart.

Quick story. We had two groups playing last night. I was on the first card, 'that guy' was behind us. We finished the last hole (blind par3, very difficult to get C1), and waited for them to finish. We wait for a good throw, see it coming, hear "oh go in" from that guy, he lands 40' short, but we throw one in the chains and start screaming like he aced. So glad it was that guy who had the best throw. He's the only one of us vain enough to actually think he could ace this hole. Warmed my heart.

Makes sense on this website, bragging about tricking a player and then putting him down. bet you feel like a big man!

Wouldn't what you did be considered a courtesy violation? Does that make you no better than him? Seems malicious to me and all because he tries to help you. So you are THEM.

Makes sense on this website, bragging about tricking a player and then putting him down. bet you feel like a big man!

Wouldn't what you did be considered a courtesy violation? Does that make you no better than him? Seems malicious to me and all because he tries to help you. So you are THEM.

That is certainly one way to look at the relationships. I didn't communicate well, but this was a non-PDGA-sanctioned casual round where several players play their lie give or take 3 feet and OB is played without penalty. You are correct to insert that these shenanigans are violations of the PDGA rule book, but friend, you are incorrect to presume they were violations of Tuesday Disc Golf camaraderie. There was apoplectic outrage when Jerm and Uli were given neither penalty strokes, nor even a warning for the fake snake under KJ's disc: https://youtu.be/2Xfvm7RlpjA

Edit to further enlighten 'that guy' is a friend. I bought him 4 putters for his new practice basket.

Last edited:
That is certainly one way to look at the relationships. I didn't communicate well, but this was a non-PDGA-sanctioned casual round where several players play their lie give or take 3 feet and OB is played without penalty. You are correct to insert that these shenanigans are violations of the PDGA rule book, but friend, you are incorrect to presume they were violations of Tuesday Disc Golf camaraderie. There was apoplectic outrage when Jerm and Uli were given neither penalty strokes, nor even a warning for the fake snake under KJ's disc: https://youtu.be/2Xfvm7RlpjA

I was just pointing out this type of behavior isn't acceptable either and that your intention n was to 'get' that player who offends you. If it was a joke between buddies it is one thing, but the way you posted it made it seem like it was done more in malice.

I was just pointing out this type of behavior isn't acceptable either and that your intention n was to 'get' that player who offends you. If it was a joke between buddies it is one thing, but the way you posted it made it seem like it was done more in malice.

Had any of his other 4 cardmates thrown the decent shot, they would have gotten the same…

So, a few posts ago you say it was a 'hot take' for someone to claim that banter/trash talk is not part of the game.

Then, you call this post out for a friendly joke during a totally casual round?

You are just an in-the-moment pure contrarian to anything you encounter, aren't you lol? Like wtf for real.

So, a few posts ago you say it was a 'hot take' for someone to claim that banter/trash talk is not part of the game.

You are just an in-the-moment pure contrarian to anything you encounter, aren't you lol? Like wtf for real.

I am pointing out the contradictions of this poster. Bitching about what he considers unsportsmanlike behavior (for trying to be nice to him) and then doing something which was full of malice per his description. Then going as far as "that egomaniac actually thought he had made it". It just has being a douche written all over it. I guess this stuff is ok when you do it but god forbid anyone else doing something which could be considered questionable. It basically sums up the entire conversation on all these threads.

Wherever the attention takes him. Trolls...........:|

Whoever it was who mentioned 'reading the room' is right on.

Whether you're a positive-banter-type, a silent-boiler, a story-teller, or a straight-up-hype-person - you have to be aware of how others are perceiving/reacting to your ways. The worst orators in the world know how to cut material from their act if it falls flat or causes obvious discomfiture...

If it's a casual round with people you know well, it should never be a "thing." One of my favorite things to say to friends after a bad shot of any kind is something like, "Yeah, you should just play badminton," or whatever. But I know when to make a crack like that, and when not to.

Read the room.

He's a contrarian bot. A poorly designed AI routine that escaped the lab.

A lot of this reads like you are blaming poor performance on an external locus of control. In the moment it is easy to do, and helps make us feel better as people, but isn't beneficial to developing a strong mental game. Could be something to think about. This has been something I have worked on over the past few years, and it seems to have helped me a lot.

A lot of this reads like you are blaming poor performance on an external locus of control. In the moment it is easy to do, and helps make us feel better as people, but isn't beneficial to developing a strong mental game. Could be something to think about. This has been something I have worked on over the past few years, and it seems to have helped me a lot.

A lot of this reads like you are the kind of person that tries to mess with other people in order to win. kinda sad tbh

I've found letting rip with a long, loud fart to be effective in discouraging unwanted discourse during my putting routine.

Latest posts