• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dying Glow Discs

Timeetyo

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have seen some shots of dark colors over glow discs (glow z, glow champ, etc) and it appears to completely hide the glow through black, for example.

Does anyone have any experience with lighter colors (perhaps yellow or pink) on glow? Will it glow through at all?

I have not done it personally, but have seen some done, and the answer is yes. You can dye a glow such that it will glow through the dye if you just don't go super dark.

I believe Bennett (I hope im right about that) did an Okthrowberfest 2013 disc of Jason that was on a glow disc where you could see the glow through various dyed sections of the disc.

I dyed a friend's Glow Champ Firebird fuchsia (I left it in the pot for a long time so it was quite dark for fuchsia), and it glowed but not as bright.

If you have a dying glow disc, is there a dye that can revive it?

If you have a dying glow disc, is there a dye that can revive it?

don't think so. even if there was i would not use unless it was better than the original glow. i play multiple rounds of glow/week and use glow tape exclusively. it sucks if you play a lot of tourneys as it is more pricey than other tape, but it works better then glow discs. so just dye them, then use tape!!

happy throwing.

darren

I dyed a friend's Glow Champ Firebird fuchsia (I left it in the pot for a long time so it was quite dark for fuchsia), and it glowed but not as bright.

which dye for the fuscia - and any chance you have a pic?

Some here did a bulk order of Rit's "neon" colors, I want to say around the time they changed their formula, but I'm not sure exactly.

This picture is from several months after being dyed. It was a full submersion.
DyedGlowFirebird_zps48e2fcf5.jpg

I have not done it personally, but have seen some done, and the answer is yes. You can dye a glow such that it will glow through the dye if you just don't go super dark.

I believe Bennett (I hope im right about that) did an Okthrowberfest 2013 disc of Jason that was on a glow disc where you could see the glow through various dyed sections of the disc.

10251677963_8bd535071c_n.jpg
10251669873_2d9bc81399_n.jpg

6122267675_c731d435ba_z.jpg

8100139755_8d58c79d3e_n.jpg
8100143426_ff7a4e685a_n.jpg

Excellent - that is very helpful. Surprised the yellow block on the peru disc didn't glow through.

Even though it's yellow and you would think it would allow more glow through, it's VERY saturated and Rit golden yellow, so the color is very strong in the disc and therefor doesn't allow much glow through.

By contrast, the yellow in the eyes of Vader does allow some glow, and it's not nearly as saturated, whereas the red around Vader is very deep and does not allow the glow through. Same for the different colors on the Jason disc; those areas were painted on as opposed to heat-in-pan dyed, which was just the black for this particular dye.

Necro bump!
Anyone try dying glow discs with idyepoly powdered dyes? And have a favorite color that still gets dark enough to be vibrant but still glow well? The photos on this thread make me think it's still happening in someone's garage, let's talk haha. I just have a few too many glow molds that I'd like to add some color to before dead undergrowth season sets in shortly.

Necro bump!
Anyone try dying glow discs with idyepoly powdered dyes? And have a favorite color that still gets dark enough to be vibrant but still glow well? The photos on this thread make me think it's still happening in someone's garage, let's talk haha. I just have a few too many glow molds that I'd like to add some color to before dead undergrowth season sets in shortly.

Probably just something I'm doing but pretty much all of the glow discs that I've dyed don't glow after I dye them.

Probably just something I'm doing but pretty much all of the glow discs that I've dyed don't glow after I dye them.

Ah dang well I still am gonna dye them I play far more courses with dry brush than I do glow rounds.