• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs Solider Cooler Review

MikeM

* Condor Member *
I recently purchased a soldier cooler and wanted to review it. It is a fairly newish design and I wasn't able to find too much about it prior to buying it.

First, what is most significant, is that the cooler, even when in the bag, can take up the amount of space you want it to. What I mean by this is that if the cooler is empty, you can fit more than the 5-6 discs on each side of the cooler. The tag for the bag claims 10-12 discs plus cooler plus two putters in front. I did some testing and was able to fit 9 drivers on one side, 3 putters, 3 mids and a driver on the other side, with room for a icepack and at least 3 16 ounce drinks in the cooler. Or you can remove the cooler all together just by unzipping it. If I wanted, I could carry 16 in the bag, 2 putters and the cooler installed with drinks. Not too shabby if you ask me. Without the cooler, I did not test it, but it would be quite a few discs. I'm guessing 22+ even though the bag claims 18+

So, for those that wanted a cooler bag, but were upset the cooler was a little too big, it is soft, and therefore you can comfortably mold it to fit more discs and less drinks.

The water bottle holders on the side are very wide and can fit any sized water bottle you have.

The pockets are plenty big to hold my keys, phone, wallet, pocket knife, sandpaper and lighter (in case a disc needs surgery). And there is plenty of room to spare for snacks and scorecard. Or, if you aren't looking to bring tall drinks, snacks can be put in the cooler on top of 12 ounce cans and it will close just fine. Or a few tall drinks with snacks next to them in the cooler. There is a lot of space to work with.

There is also a nice mesh pocket above the discs for more items. I put my towel in there, instead of hanging it from the towel hooks.

I am happy with the material it is made from. It is padded and the material seems sturdy. I can't see the zipper or bag breaking down anytime soon. But I will update on that after more use. The front, back and bottom all are padded well.

The bag looked small to me when it arrived, and I thought, oh great, no room for discs, but, like I said earlier, Dynamic Discs was able to keep the size down and yet allow for maximum storage. It was designed very well.

Some were concerned that you had to have 2 putters in the pocket or the one would fall out. Although, I always carry at least two, and so this isn't a concern (it is actually nice to have more space for an extra putter), if you wanted, you could carry one putter. Only you are doing backflips, with the bag on, your putter won't fall out.

Two issues:

1. The strap that comes with the bag is made of a very slick material. Because of this, it wants to slip off of my shoulder constantly. Or, like I said in another forum, maybe it is just my massive Lat Muscles causing this :D Anyway, what I did to fix this was swap out the strap with an old computer bag I had. That strap had a grippy bottom where it rests on my shoulder and this stopped it from slipping. The grippiness holds it in place. To me, the 15 discs I am carrying and the cooler is not too heavy. (13 in bag, 2 in front, cooler installed). But, I have not tested it full to the brim with drinks, icepacks, and 2 fully loaded water bottles, and so will post more on that later. Still, personally, I will probably be using a shoulder strap vs. backpacks.

The strap it came with does have nice metal and plastic hooks on it. So it is a shame I can't use it.

2. There is no mini pocket for a mini disc. I worked around this by adhering self adhering Velcro to the back of my mini and the front of the bag. You can get it at many stores. The self adhering Velcro wants to pull off the bag (and stick to the mini) every time I take the mini off, so I think I will have to super glue the Velcro square, that is on the bag, to the bag. I really just don't have the guts to put super glue on this bag yet. it is too new. And so, the mini will just sit for decoration for now. As long as I don't pull it on and off repeatedly, it stays in place and won't fall off. Do compensate for the depth of the mini disc, I ended up using 4 Velcro squares (about 3 inches by 2 inches) to one another to create depth. So male Velcro on bag, female attached to that, male attached to that, and female adhered on the mini disc.
Hopefully that makes sense.

Overall, it is exactly the bag I was looking for and could not be happier with it.

picture.php

Last edited:
"Only if you are doing backflips, with the bag on, will your putter fall out." Is what I was trying to say.

And, in the second to last paragraph, I mean to say "To" compensate. But I put "Do" instead.

Very well insulated. The drinks will stay cold. And if you get one of those thin icepacks, they will stay cold a very long time. And because you can zip it closed, it doesn't cause your discs to get wet. I will do more testing but so far have been impressed. It is a nice cooler actually. The material looks as though water can not penetrate, so I doubt it would leak with regular ice, but I'll do more testing on that as well.

Last edited:
As in the cooler was WAY nicer than I thought it would be. I thought it would have thin walls and be gimmicky. I was wrong.

Does it say the country of origin on a tag somewhere inside it? I am assuming they are not made in Sweden but who knows :)

Update, after the self adhering Velcro was allowed to sit on the bag overnight, it adhered to the bag and so now I can pull the mini disc on and off no problem. And the Velcro squares stay in place on the bag and on the mini. The sticky back of the self adhering Velcro just needed more time to set.

My instinct would be to sew on a Velcro patch rather than superglue. Easier to pull stiches and resew rather than deal with a patch of old failed super glue. Super glue not so great with nylon.

A picked up a normal Soldier for a friend a few months ago and been watching it in action.

- Fairly water resistant when newish. Bag does not get as soaked compared to my VooDoo or Fade in heavier rain.
- Not much room for an extra clothing layer in the dual smallish side pockets. One bigger side pocket with no drink on one side seems more practical to me.

Yeah, my initial idea was to sew on a Velcro patch, but not knowing how to sew, I tried the Velcro self adhering. And, again, once it dried, it became stuck on the nylon. The nice thing is that if I ever decide to remove it, it won't leave hard residue like super glue would have.

I can see what you are saying about a single drink holder instead of two. Especially with the cooler version, since you can put added water in the cooler. I am happy with the size of the side pockets. One alone fits my keys, wallet, and phone. So, I have an entire other pocket for whatever. And some would rather have more water space and less pocket space.

Also, you could fit some lighter extra clothing in the mesh pocket above the discs. It is a stretchy pocket. I tested and could fit 2 extra t-shirts, my disc towel and had room to spare and could close the pocket easy. The side pockets can fit a t-shirt balled up easy. And the drink holders can fit two t-shirts balled up. So, there is plenty of space to work with while keeping the bag small and light.

Played a round today with the cooler loaded up. It was awkward to carry the bag on my shoulder. It wasn't bad if I put the strap over my head and on my shoulder that way. It was actually fairly comfortable. But I still found myself leaning forward a bit to counter the weight of the bag. So I am purchasing the backpack straps that match the bag. When those arrive, I'll post how they feel.

Received the backpack straps today. They look very nice, match the bag and are super comfortable. I should have gone with them to begin with! I'll have to play a game with the bag fully loaded with drinks and discs to know for sure how they fell.

I'm betting it will feel pretty good; however, the small of your back will be hating you. That's why I bought a Grip to go along with my normal Soldier; it works fine for casual fun rounds, but when I played a two day tournament, my back was killing me the next day. Bought the Grip, played in another two day tournament, and didn't really have any back pain.

However, for casual rounds, you shouldn't really have a problem with the Soldier with the backpack straps.

I'm betting it will feel pretty good; however, the small of your back will be hating you. That's why I bought a Grip to go along with my normal Soldier; it works fine for casual fun rounds, but when I played a two day tournament, my back was killing me the next day. Bought the Grip, played in another two day tournament, and didn't really have any back pain.

However, for casual rounds, you shouldn't really have a problem with the Soldier with the backpack straps.

The difference between the straps and a full-on backpack bag is where the bag sits on your back. The backpack rides higher on your back, which is where it should be.

People's tendency with add-on backpack straps is to not adjust them properly such that the bag is essentially bouncing off their ass. That's where the strain on your back comes from. Shorten the straps as much as you can so the bag rides higher. Should take care of any chance of back pain...at least due to the bag.

The difference between the straps and a full-on backpack bag is where the bag sits on your back. The backpack rides higher on your back, which is where it should be.

People's tendency with add-on backpack straps is to not adjust them properly such that the bag is essentially bouncing off their ass. That's where the strain on your back comes from. Shorten the straps as much as you can so the bag rides higher. Should take care of any chance of back pain...at least due to the bag.

And the problem there is that tight backpack straps are hard to get in an out of, so then you just carry your bag with one strap, which defeats the purpose of buying the straps in the first place.

I carried a Revolution Team bag with quadshocks for 10 years with the straps tightened up to allow the bag to ride as high on my back as possible, and never had any trouble getting the bag on and off. Certainly not any more difficulty than getting my Lat64 Luxury bag on and off now.

Latest posts