• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Eagle vs. Valkryie?

Garret H

Birdie Member
Hello:

I currently throw a Champ Valk 150 as one of my main drivers and I am really liking it so far. I have had a few people recommend I try an Eagle 150 -- does anyone know how different this disc is than my Valk? If anyone out there has thrown both, can you inform me of any differences between the two? Does one give any better distance?

Thanks,
Garret

These are my main 2 drivers I use the Valk for open distance and I use the Eagle when I need a predictable fade. They work great as a pair.

In my opinion that Eagle-L is allot like the Valk only with a little more fade at the end. Of course my only experience with an Eagle-L is an 11x. For me the Eagle-X will go strait and have a hard fade, and the Valk will turn right then fade left ending strait.

If you're using a 150g bag, you should have both. The Valk is a big distance flip machine and the Eagle is all about the controlled distance. They don't overlap.

i started with Eagles and switched to Valks as my primary drivers. the Eagle has a bit more dome and more weight on the rim, giving it more glide and more stability. this is a generalization, as some runs vary quite a bit. what i liked about the Valk is that it was faster and i felt like i could place it more precisely. Eagles needed a bit more room. the Valk's thinner, longer rim made it easier on my hands also. just a preference. i could easily use either one. seems like dudes with more snap preferred the Birds to the Valk. the Innova ratings have changed a lot through the last decade too. it used to be "long/very long/ultra long driver" and now it's "all-purpose/midrange/fairway/distance", etc. the Eagle and Valk used to be "ultra long". now Eagle is "fairway" and Valk is still "distance". when you see guys throwing a Teebird or Eagle over 500', i don't think "fairway".

the Valk jumped in popularity immediately when Christian Sandstrom threw the 820' throw in the Desert. of course he had 40 mph winds behind him.

In my opinion that Eagle-L is allot like the Valk only with a little more fade at the end. Of course my only experience with an Eagle-L is an 11x. For me the Eagle-X will go strait and have a hard fade, and the Valk will turn right then fade left ending strait.

Now that you mention it, a new Eagle-L and a Viking is pretty similar.

They both have similar flight characterstics, the valk will go further. It's a faster disc, more glide if I'm not mistaken. Eagle has great glide and can be bombed as well. I'd suggest it. Be a shorter range valk if you will

Like others said, throw both. And try them in DX! They're great DX molds. Eagles beat in sweeter than new, but Valks age into really understable flyers. This can be useful too, but for me, Eagles have a longer lifespan and are more generally useful. I like Eagles around 170 and Valks ~ 165. Fun discs.

Thanks for the comments, guys -- how closely would you compare the Eagle to the TL? I have tried some of those narrow rim, domey discs before (including the TL) and have never had much luck. I really need (and prefer) and good medium-speed max distance driver to get any reasonable distance. And, with my Valk, I have plenty of control. So, I really don't see much reason to add yet another disc to the bag by getting an Eagle if they are that similar. :D

Thanks,
Garret

Thanks for the comments, guys -- how closely would you compare the Eagle to the TL? I have tried some of those narrow rim, domey discs before (including the TL) and have never had much luck. I really need (and prefer) and good medium-speed max distance driver to get any reasonable distance. And, with my Valk, I have plenty of control. So, I really don't see much reason to add yet another disc to the bag by getting an Eagle if they are that similar. :D

Thanks,
Garret

Interestingly, after having followed the hype and tried the fastest discs, research has recently led me to the same two discs (Eagle, Valk). Just started on the Valk and have thrown it farther than I've thrown anything using my existing form. As you note, it's more efficient to throw something correctly in the appropriate power range. My Eagle is still in the mail, will let you now how it works out by comparison.

K.