• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagles

I'm in the camp that prefers Star to Champ in my Eagles. It seems that Star has better glide and doesn't have as much fade at the end of the flight, but it may be that Star breaks in a bit faster. I also generally shy away from the L mold. On the whole, though, I believe there's no such thing as a bad Eagle. Pretty much every X mold I've ever thrown flew like an Eagle-X when it was brand new, no matter if it was DX, Star, or Champ. The DX just breaks in way faster, but a good cycle of Eagles is awesome.

I picked up a dx eagle just to cycle and see how it flew compared to the others I have. I basically want to have a backup for my 10x kc eagle and figure the dx is the fastest way to get there. New, that disc was the most stable disc in my bag. Friggin meathook lol. Now it has to be flipped up and it glides forever but when it's wet you just sling it off and throw it. The grip is awesome. I'm thinking of making an all dx bag for the fall and will probably use the eagle for my primary driver for other courses. My home course is heavily wooded and dx changes very quickly.

I'm looking for a back up and the factory store has some sic looking Eagles right now.

I picked up a couple blue and chartreuse green throwback circle stamps from the proshop. There is no headwind that I'd be afraid to throw these into but its just not that windy around here for them to make my bag. They fly like mini-firebirds and seek the ground quickly. I gotta like Innova's indestructible JL but these eagles have a little dome, which I'm not a fan of. I guess if they were flatter they'd be as useless OS as the mega pearly stiff 12x firebirds in the flat glow mold.

I think I may just buy a Star Eagle X and see how it compares. Possibly one JL circle stamp for windy days.

Best way to tell the difference between an L and an X is to run your finger from inside to out along the bottom of the wing. If it has a slight notch near the very edge of the wing, it is an X mold. If the wing ends smoothly and you do not feel a notch, it is an L mold. This is far more effective for me, than trying to eyeball the wing profile. Once you have one of each in your hands at the same time and feel the difference you will be able to tell them apart forever.

I prefer L-molds. I actually just got a Star L mold from a buddy and it is the most overstable L-mold I have. I wouldn't try to go for a Star L mold though because they are not too common. 99% of Star Eagles are X-molds. My favorite type of L-molds are the 12x opaque Champion ones that are flat. I have some that are domey and they are a little bit more beefy.

Its hard to say what kind of Eagle you would like because I don't know what stage of wear your current 11x one is in. how long have you had it? what kind of shots do you use it for?

As others have mentioned though. You can't really go wrong with an Eagle.

The Eagle is one of the few Innova molds I even carry anymore. Can never go wrong with it. I have recently found my L molds flick very nicely....no idea why I never tried that before.:p Two weeks ago at a tournament, I noticed that about 30% of the champ Eagles were L molds. :clap: Scored a couple more, too.:clap:

I don't understand why people say there is a notch in an Eagle-X. Do you know what a notch is? Look the word up. There is no cut or groove in the wing of an Eagle-X. It has a slightly concave (curved) wing that comes to a little flat spot just before the outside edge.

The Eagle-L has a straight wing (no curve).

The photo posted above is all you need to tell them apart.

When people say notch their talking about the flat spot at the edge before the wing starts to curve so it is there maybe the wording just isn't the best.

I don't understand why people say there is a notch in an Eagle-X. Do you know what a notch is? Look the word up. There is no cut or groove in the wing of an Eagle-X. It has a slightly concave (curved) wing that comes to a little flat spot just before the outside edge.

The Eagle-L has a straight wing (no curve).

Perhaps, "a small protrusion" or "lip" is a better word to use. My point is if you hand me an Eagle I can tell you in under 10 seconds if it is an X-mold or an L-mold. You could even blind fold me. I find its much more useful to use this method out on the course at leagues or a tourney when someone asks me if it is an X or an L mold. No need to compare it to photos or even another disc.

My point is that the word notch is misleading to someone that doesn't know how to look at an Eagle and tell the difference, which is very easy if you have ever seen the profile comparison photo. There is no need to compare to another disc or the photo. Concave = X. Straight:= L.

Yep.

picture.php

If you are looking for something like your 11x then you might be a little screwed.

If its an 11x L mold you will be fine just finding another L mold and those are pretty much the same, its the X molds that fly differently.

The production run (Cllimo stamp) ones are a touch less overstable than the 11x eagle x's and the circle stamps are just garbage to me. They are stiffer than all heck and are pretty much mini firebirds, now if thats what you are looking for then these would be perfect but if you already carry a firebird there would be no use to use one of these.

Older eagle x's start off overstable but a little less than a banshee. Eventually they will break into a teebird if you throw them a ton. Newer champ eagle x's have more dome starting right on the shoulder and a differently cooled nose and they start out just a hair more stable than champ teebirds and break in much quicker. The circle stamp eagle x's are pretty close to banshees. Eagle L is a really great disc but it is a different disc. Personally when I refer to an eagle it is always x and I refer to the eagle L as an EL. It annoys me that innova doesn't sell the eagle L under a different name like the TL because it would be more accessible and popular.

Thanks for all the advise. I need to throw some other Eagles. My 11x is not overstable at all. It's dead straight unless I huck it hard then it'll give a nice little turn before fading back ever so gently. It bombs. I may just have to search for more 11x or hope to hell I never loose this one!

I have a flattop 11x and it is just crazy stable and has one of the most aggressive finishes I've seen outside of the FAF 12x FBs. I've owned 2 11x E-Xs that weren't overstable and they were what made me fall in love with the disc, but I've since realized that they were just seasoned longer than my current group. RIP my first 2 11x Eagles... 2 people were given amazing gifts by the disc golf gods...

Thanks for all the advise. I need to throw some other Eagles. My 11x is not overstable at all. It's dead straight unless I huck it hard then it'll give a nice little turn before fading back ever so gently. It bombs. I may just have to search for more 11x or hope to hell I never loose this one!

Most likely an 11x Eagle L. I use mine as a straight/turnover disc.

The X is for more OS needs.

Latest posts