• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

East coast courses both me and the gf will enjoy?

littlej13

In a couple weeks, we will be taking a short road trip looking to stop in several cities. We're hoping to play a new course each day, but I want to make sure it's a course we will both enjoy. She likes short and primarily wooded courses, a huge bonus if most of the holes are under 250 feet. I'm fine with most anything; I enjoy variety and elevation changes but am more concerned on finding courses she will enjoy.

For reference, we're starting in Harrisonburg, Va. We haven't decided if we are going north or south yet, as the location of courses may make our decision for us. Thank you anyone who is able to help!

Spilman in Culpeper VA would meet her criteria and is not all that far from Harrisonburg. Walnut Creek outside of Charlottesville is a little more challenging but fits the bill fairly well. Mayflower outside of Roanoke is being very well received- not sure how the lengths line up there as i haven't made the trip yet. Blockhouse here in Spotsy is currently closed but supposed to reopen 3/15 and would be a good choice as would Cannon Ridge here.

...and I just realized who the OP is and I told you a bunch of stuff you already know. Tons of good courses around Cavanaugh's current digs. I love Earlewood in South Cack but Columbia isn't the most interesting city.

Not sure how far you're interested in traveling, but Ditto Farms in Hagerstown, MD has 4 mostly open holes with the rest of the 18 being moderately to heavily wooded. It's only about 7 easy miles off of I81.

There are two baskets and two tees per hole. From short to short 5 holes are over 250'. Three of those are the open holes and the other two are barely over 250'.

I really enjoy the course a lot and short to short is a lot of fun.

If you get as far as Ditto Farms you'll drive right past Jim Barnett Park, which is a fun spin in the woods with quite manageable distances from the short tees.

...and I just realized who the OP is and I told you a bunch of stuff you already know. Tons of good courses around Cavanaugh's current digs. I love Earlewood in South Cack but Columbia isn't the most interesting city.

Agreed. Earlewood fits the criteria as being a short course, fun for everyone from short throwers to pretty good players. Timmons, in Greenville, SC, is similar, and even prettier.

True that Columbia isn't a tourist town, though it depends on what you're looking for; when I used to travel a lot, I found almost everywhere interesting, at least for a short time. But Columbia also suffers from not having a lot of other disc golf choices nearby (Crooked Creek in Chapin, about 25 miles NW, would fit the criteria, too).

When is this trip? Spring is beginning to bloom in South Carolina, if that matters.

I'd recommend a course search with parameters of, say (1) 18 hole courses under 5000 feet and (2) rated 3.5 or better. That should produce plenty of shorter holes for her; and courses that probably have elevation or other good features, to give them those ratings despite their lengths.

Or ask, how do different tees suit? Tom Triplett in Savannah, GA, is a sweet course with 3 sets of tees, of considerably different length. No elevation, though. Savannah is a great place to visit. (With the caveat that there is talk about the course being re-designed, so double-check with locals before committing).

Sedgley Woods in Philly is one of the best courses as far as people just learning. Each hole has 3 Tee boxes (Blue: Easy, Yellow: Mid, Red: Long). 27 holes. The people there are extremely friendly and helpful.

Stafford Woods in NJ, Short Tees would be just long enough for her to have fun. Also wooded.

These are my top 2 favorite courses and are within a half hr from one another. Stafford is nicer due to less foot traffic and more space. Sedgley is where I learned a ton of different shots due to it being tight/wooded.

This is of course if you are planning to go north up the east coast.

Heading north- rockland, Jim Barnett, ditto. That's a nice long day of disc, good food nearby too

If you're in the area of Jim Barnett and Ditto, you've got to check out Poor House in WV. I teed off there at 6 am in the summer.

If you head south towards NC - hit up Highland Hills (Wilkesboro), Horizon Park (Winston Salem), Reedy Creek, RL Smith, Winget Park, etc (Charlotte), then Timmons and Pipeline (Greenville Spartanburg, SC)

If you're in the area of Jim Barnett and Ditto, you've got to check out Poor House in WV. I teed off there at 6 am in the summer.

If you head south towards NC - hit up Highland Hills (Wilkesboro), Horizon Park (Winston Salem), Reedy Creek, RL Smith, Winget Park, etc (Charlotte), then Timmons and Pipeline (Greenville Spartanburg, SC)

Excellent. Might add Shoally Creek (Spartanburg); from the short tees, it's still a pretty good course.

Charlotte-to-Greenville does offer a lot of options, including nice shorter courses. A triangle of Charlotte-Greenville-Columbia creates a loop, and adds Crooked Creek and Earlewood.

If you're in the area of Jim Barnett and Ditto, you've got to check out Poor House in WV.

Great way to play 3 states in one day. Start at Jim Barnett in Virginia and take the short drive to Poor House in West Virginia and take another short drive and finish the day at Ditto Farms in Maryland.

Been there, done that, would do it again! :thmbup:

Latest posts