• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Echo-Star Destroyer Replacement

uphoric

I called Innova last week and learned that they are no longer making Echo-Star Destroyers. I have one and it's my longest disc. I have tried Pro (too flippy), Star(too stable), and even DX(also too flippy). Do you have any suggestions for Destroyers that fly similar to the Echo-Star?

I called Innova last week and learned that they are no longer making Echo-Star Destroyers. I have one and it's my longest disc. I have tried Pro (too flippy), Star(too stable), and even DX(also too flippy). Do you have any suggestions for Destroyers that fly similar to the Echo-Star?

Echostar and Pro both have similarities to Star. You did not say what weights you are throwing. My first thought would be to try a heavier Pro or a lighter Star to offset stability issues.

Also, some will suggest a GStar Destroyer. Not my favorite plastic, but if you like it, give it a shot.

I have two echo stars, one is 6 years old and beat to crap and still stable, the other is brand new and flips to a roll thrown on hyzer. I imaging either they're too inconsistent or the newer runs are too understable. They're expensive, but the philo is my new favorite destroyer. Flies like my beat E*, not the roller. Also experiment with regular star in a lighter weight. What weight to do you have now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well that sucks. I don't throw Destroyers, but know plenty who like the Echo Star.

Echostar and Pro both have similarities to Star. You did not say what weights you are throwing. My first thought would be to try a heavier Pro or a lighter Star to offset stability issues.

Also, some will suggest a GStar Destroyer. Not my favorite plastic, but if you like it, give it a shot.

It is a 173 echo-star. I tried 175 in all other plastic types. The pro I tried was seriously like a Katana or even less stable. Maybe I just got a bad egg. I agree with you on G* I don't like the feel at all. I would prefer Star.

The exact quote was "We're moving away from echo-star plastic" which makes me assume all echo-star molds will be going the way of the Doh doh.

Sounds like the material they were using for Echostar is now being used in Swirly Star discs.

It is a 173 echo-star. I tried 175 in all other plastic types. The pro I tried was seriously like a Katana or even less stable. Maybe I just got a bad egg. I agree with you on G* I don't like the feel at all. I would prefer Star.

Thanks for the info. So maybe try a Star in the lower to mid 160s and see if it works a little better for you stability-wise...

Honestly, Try an MVP Octane - Neutron for me is like a worn in Star Destroyer. Proton is still pretty overstable.

If you have a good arm, try a heavier Neutron Octane. Or if you want something with more turnover try an Axiom Mayhem. Again, to me Neutron Octane is like 13/5/-1/2 (not a flippy disc so don't worry about powering it up) Neutron Mayhem 13/5/-2/2 (will turn but will stable out, for me Mayhem crushes distance on a nice S shape)

You can also look at star Wraiths, they feel almost the same. I haven't thrown them enough to see if they are any shorter than Destroyers for me, but whenever I throw them I always think "this is like the stability of Destroyer that I like". Gstar Destroyers are also this stability but I understand that you don't like that plastic. I'm referring to a -1/2 type of flight for throwers in the 360-425' range.

Went thru the same dam scenario. Mostly due to the recent star detros being crazy os. I got gstar too flippy, even lighter stars too beef, so on and so on.

If you can figure this one out you are on to something.

The philos are beautiful not to os. They felt a bit to soft for summer play. But will make the bag once the days get shorter for sure.

Well Innova finally found a way to piss me off. Echo Star Destroyers and TeeBirds are absolutely amazing. I have actually found that GStars are more US than Pros. Just get a beat up Champ or Star and that should work. A S-DDx or Champ Shryke might also work as would a Punisher or Crank.

Maybe they won't get ride of ALL the echo-star stuff but I can say with confidence that you won't be seeing ES Destroyers anytime soon. I've been looking for about two months and nothing...

Well, I think I kind of lost it. I took all my destroyers and did some measurements to find what the "ideal" shape is here are my findings as well as my thoughts on a few of the molds.

DISCLAIMER
This was done at 5,280 feet and by throwing the discs as consistently as possible down a painted line to determine stability. I just did this to try and figure out how to better ID non meat hook destroyers.

8LbRN

I first measured sorted from least, to most OS and then measured the distance from the table to the bottom of the wing off the table in as close to the same spot as could. This is the PLH measurement. I think took a truing bar and a set of calipers to measure the dome of the disc. This is the thickness of the disc from the bottom of the inner rim to the middle of the dome.

Of the two measurements, the dome is the most varying from disc to disc. This is visible when you look at the profile as well.

Almost across the board, the higher the PLH, the higher the stability. I suspect that higher dome also creates more stability as you would think that the Philo would be almost the same or less stable than the Echo but has significantly more dome.

So, next time you're looking for a destroyer and you want to really annoy your local shop, bring your ruler and find one that's <9MM from the table to the bottom of the wing and the flatter the better.

Honestly, Try an MVP Octane - Neutron for me is like a worn in Star Destroyer. Proton is still pretty overstable.

If you have a good arm, try a heavier Neutron Octane. Or if you want something with more turnover try an Axiom Mayhem. Again, to me Neutron Octane is like 13/5/-1/2 (not a flippy disc so don't worry about powering it up) Neutron Mayhem 13/5/-2/2 (will turn but will stable out, for me Mayhem crushes distance on a nice S shape)

I've heard good things about Octanes I haven't thrown one though. I have a Mayhem and I really like the flight when I can throw it correctly. I struggle with the speed 13 rim though. It's tough for me to get a good grip on.

Latest posts