• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elaine Kings leaves Discraft due to not receiving a signature disc

Yes, because "hilarious" is such an archaic and often misused word the OP obviously wasn't expressing that he found humor in "blah blah, womens rights, sexism blah blah".

His post screams irresolute observation. :rolleyes:

No, he found it "hilarious"(ironic) that one women would join discraft(val) after leaving another company due to women's equality. This gives the image of discraft supporting women's rights(escpecially after Val got a sig disc). But then a long-time legend(king) leaves discraft due to concerns of women's equality and not getting a signature disc.

I would hope you see the funny part of the irony, because he wasn't trying to discredit women's rights/equality

No, he found it "hilarious"(ironic) that one women would join discraft(val) after leaving another company due to women's equality. This gives the image of discraft supporting women's rights(escpecially after Val got a sig disc). But then a long-time legend(king) leaves discraft due to concerns of women's equality and not getting a signature disc.

I would hope you see the funny part of the irony, because he wasn't trying to discredit women's rights/equality

Neither funny nor ironic (which are not synonyms by the way). Also not interesting.

I don't want another person's names on my discs - male or female. KC Pro No.

It seems the New KC Pro is a Blended style of all the KC Pro plastics, why it feels off becuse it is a feels like a compromise of the 9X-12X plasitc's from his touring days. Yes the company says the new plastic is still the 12X but if that is true then it should feel like old 12x plastic and Innova is or recently in the last few years began starting its decline with plastics and how they feel.

No..........I think it is VERY important here, that it is emphasized that EK did not state she was leaving Discraft for ANYTHING to do with gender inequality. Some may wish to read it into her statement (heck, might even be true) but, nowhere, that I have read, did the issue of gender get raised.

i mean, i knew DGCR was a bunch of white knight feminists to begin with, but you guys really flew your flag high this time.

God people like you are tiresome. Anyone who believes that there might be disparities and inequalities worth pointing out and correcting is a white knight and a SJW. That Valerie Jenkins advocating for herself makes her a "crazy feminist". As you said its all noise to you, "blah blah women's rights, sexism, blah blah".

What I find interesting is how much Valerie's actions and advocacy for women's disc golf piss you off. That you held on to it all year and then took this opportunity to go off the rails about it. Its weird.

i mean, i knew DGCR was a bunch of white knight feminists to begin with, but you guys really flew your flag high this time.

This is a stupid assertion. The concepts of "white knight" and "feminist" are mutually exclusive. The idea of "white knights" is that men cannot defend the notion that women are people on the internet sincerely, but that it is only done as a cynical exercise to attract the favor of women. "Feminism" is the sincere idea that women are people and that they deserve the same fairness that is usually granted to men.

If you're going to be a cynical jerk, at least use the words correctly. For example, you could have called people "white knight fake feminists," or even dragged a recent BS buzzphrase like "virtue signaling" into the poorly-delivered insult.

I award you 0/10 points.

There's no irony here, and if there were it wouldn't be funny (and btw: irony isn't always humorous). Back in EK's heyday, no women from any sponsor had a sig disc. JK was the first as far as I know, and when she received her two it wasn't due to wins or marketability. She suggested a new blend for a putter and the Valkyrie was compensation for work she had done, be her own admission. Paige's first win with Discraft got her a sig Stalker. Val moved to Discraft the year after a win, and so she got a sig Thrasher. Elaine and Val's situations aren't comparable, so no irony.

The OP starts off with "crazy feminist", and even after you defending him he's spouting **** about "white knight feminists".......I would hope you see the irony.

I find it unfortunate, yet slightly amusing how conversations online go. This one has covered a gambit of topics... Very few of which (I find) relevant to this particular circumstance. Since I am not qualified to speak on behalf of most of those topics, I will provide my perspective from a business and marketing standpoint.

Discraft is, in fact, a business. I'm sure they have multiple goals we're not aware of tied to their business plans... That said, I guarantee one of those goals is revenue generation. So, from that perspective, Elaine was an employee of Discraft, just like (you) and I are employees of our companies.

Side Note: My personal opinion of Elaine is irrelevant to this topic, but I appreciate what she has done for the sport of disc golf and more specifically the impact she has had on the growth of the FPO division.

Having said that, (good) businesses make business decisions based on available data and think beyond the moment right in front of their faces. For example, if I were in part of Discraft's marketing function, I would look at:
> Elaine's current "brand" recognition among active golfers
> Elaine's recent tournament activity & winnings
> Elaine's future plans for tournament participation, potential travel, and personal revenue generation from event winnings.
> Does Elaine compete regionally, nationally, or internationally? What is her "shelf life" for continuing to compete at a high level?

With those metrics in mind, it becomes a little clearer why she does not have a signature disc now. Should she have been awarded a signature disc from back in the day when she was winning world championships? Maybe, that's not really my place to say... But, my opinion is yes.

At this point, Elaine is in a similar situation as Ken Climo. They are both still tremendous ambassadors for the sport, but not as marketable as they once were to current & future target markets. This might be unfortunate, but it's just business, not personal. And, everyone eventually gets replaced by a younger version eventually, it just happens much more quickly in professional sports.

Going back to the point of Elaine being an employee of Discraft... A signature disc would have had multiple business impacts. These two would be top of my mind if I were part of their marketing function.

1. Much like other professional athletes that sell their individual brand through apparel (jerseys, hats, shoes, etc.), a disc that contains the company logo and personal signature series have licensing complications. These cost Discraft money that lands in Elaine's pocket. Good for Elaine, and only good for Discraft is her affiliation with a particular mold increases unit sales.
* How much would that affiliation increase sales? 5%, 25%, 100%?

2. If Elaine uses a popular mold that already sells well, the Comet for example, then Discraft is basically handing her money for a disc that already sells. I think someone mentioned the Nate Doss Ti Buzzz a little while ago... So, that would not really be a good business decision for Discraft. Additionally, if they have another (nationally) touring Pro, like MJ, that uses the Comet and has higher brand recognition among a demographic that makes up a larger portion of current customers & prospects, then they really should be using his name to market to that group over Elaine's...

Last note, on Val... This is complete conjecture. But, I would assume part of her negotiations to come over to Discraft included a signature series disc. Us normal folks would consider that a signing bonus, like when we start a new job and are negotiating salary, benefits, vacation, etc. They already know Val already has an established brand, tours, and wins, so it is a safe investment on their part...

There's no irony here, and if there were it wouldn't be funny (and btw: irony isn't always humorous). Back in EK's heyday, no women from any sponsor had a sig disc. JK was the first as far as I know, and when she received her two it wasn't due to wins or marketability. She suggested a new blend for a putter and the Valkyrie was compensation for work she had done, be her own admission. Paige's first win with Discraft got her a sig Stalker. Val moved to Discraft the year after a win, and so she got a sig Thrasher. Elaine and Val's situations aren't comparable, so no irony.

The OP starts off with "crazy feminist", and even after you defending him he's spouting **** about "white knight feminists".......I would hope you see the irony.

Good point.

This is a stupid assertion. The concepts of "white knight" and "feminist" are mutually exclusive. The idea of "white knights" is that men cannot defend the notion that women are people on the internet sincerely, but that it is only done as a cynical exercise to attract the favor of women. "Feminism" is the sincere idea that women are people and that they deserve the same fairness that is usually granted to men.

If you're going to be a cynical jerk, at least use the words correctly. For example, you could have called people "white knight fake feminists," or even dragged a recent BS buzzphrase like "virtue signaling" into the poorly-delivered insult.

I award you 0/10 points.

I dispute your premise and believe your definitions are errant.

News article here: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017/09/20/words-elaine-king/

How hilarious is this!?!

Val Jenkins bashed innova for not giving her a signature disc and then pranced over to discraft last year... now less than a year later Elaine King leaves discraft for the exact same reason... not enough recognition and no signature disc.

and in between both of these events, Austin Turner of Discraft gets a signature disc! where was val crying when austin got a signature disc? why isn't val leaving discraft with elaine king!?

blah blah womens rights, sexism, blah blah.

Orange hat, or orange comb-over?

Thank you for mansplaining mansplaining. 😂

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

Funny enough, when a guy gives a guy chit, well, it's just a guy giving a guy a hard time. But if you do the same thing to a woman, you're mansplaining. Hmmmm.

Like I said, there are real issues out there, rape -1 in 6 women, abuse - 2 to 3 in 5, job equity, pay equity, equal treatment under the law. But be careful not to mansplain...