• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elbow Injury - Help

Traver

Par Member
After heading out to the practice field after a long winter I aggravated a minor elbow problem I've had in seasons past. I havent' seen a doctor but from what I've read it meets the criteria for golfer's or tennis elbow. I plan on resting it and then examining my technique to see what is causing this.

Instead of rambling on, I'll post a few questions I have.

1. I have been using Dan Beato's video for my driving practice. It seems the most painful throws I have thrown are those that come directly off my chest. The video is a tad vague, can anyone elaborate on this portion of the throw? i.e. should my arm be straight at any point in the throw (elbow locked), what is the primary source of power for this part of throw?

2. The more obvious problem is follow through. I rarely seem to hurt my elbow when I use a two step run-up. However, on standing drives/upshots it's difficult for me to find a sufficient follow through. It's worth mentioning that I'm 6'3'' 340lbs with a long frame and that even upshots have a lot of force to dissipate. I've heard people say that they use their non-throwing arm to slow their throw. I've also noticed Nate Doss tends to dissipate his throw by rotating his arm at the shoulder post hit.

3. Anyone who has experience with elbow injuries, any words of advice for recovering/preventing further injuries. i.e. good stretches, etc.

note. I'm RHBH and can throw 280'-320' on a good drive.

so what's the issue?
are you hyper extending the elbow?

I'm not sure you want the elbow to lock
shoulder pause to fire the lower arm out

the timing gets messy

I think you want the shoulders to start a rotation again just as your elbow is fully extended

this should prevent you from over extending

you may also want to try a piece of equipment to stop jarring in the elbow

scientific disc golf has a arm tensor thingy that straps on just below the elbow

so what's the issue?
are you hyper extending the elbow?

I'm not sure whether I'm hyper-extending the elbow, or twisting it. I've noticed that I tend to drop my elbow about 4'' lower than my disc. I wouldn't be surprised if I did a combination of both.

I like the equipment idea, I'll look into that.

oh
don't drop the elbow
sounds like you will be over torquing by doing that

that will
a) be bad for your throw
b) bad for your elbow

I think you need to keep your arm on a smooth and level plane throughout the throw

Unintentional OAT (rolling your wrist over) makes my elbow hurt as well. After I cleaned up my throw I rarely, if ever get elbow pain from DG.

Locking your elbow (which sounds like hyper extending to me) is bad, too.

oh
don't drop the elbow
sounds like you will be over torquing by doing that

that will
a) be bad for your throw
b) bad for your elbow

I think you need to keep your arm on a smooth and level plane throughout the throw

Unintentional OAT (rolling your wrist over) makes my elbow hurt as well. After I cleaned up my throw I rarely, if ever get elbow pain from DG.

Locking your elbow (which sounds like hyper extending to me) is bad, too.

I supposed I'm both prone to locking and rolling. I will make an effort to level out my throw, but I'm still confused about my arm extension. I guess the easiest way to ask is, how should my elbow be when the disc rips from my hand, extended? Bent at the elbow, if so, roughly how much?

GO SEE A DOCTOR!

Don't get your medical advice from an internet discussion board. I labored under the assumption that I had "tennis elbow" for 9 months. I finally made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon and found out it was my shoulder that was root of the problem and the elbow was just the symptom.

Talk to an ortho. You never know what's wrong until you talk to a doc.

I felt a "sproiiiiiiiing!!!" in my elbow last year on a forehand flick toward the end of the season. Based on the location of the soreness I diagnosed it as an ulnar collateral ligament sprain, not tennis elbow. I kept throwing and it kept hurting. Then after the Stafford Lake tourney, I rested it for over a month with no throwing, then resumed slowly. So far I've not had pain, though I've had a little soreness from time to time from overuse.

Rest is best. If you have health insurance, get it checked out.

If you have health insurance, get it checked out.

what do you mean IF?
isn't there universal health care in...never mind

alternatively move to Canada and have health insurance

but there are some good points

see a doctor and make sure there isn't an injury

then fix your form so you don't aggravate the issue

Well, I'm hoping for a few tips on form here. I've searched around a bit and haven't found anything that clearly explained the movement at the 'hit'. Any recommendations? Yes, I'll see a doctor.

yup
I was actually just looking at that myself

I prefer the diagram to the animation from a conceptual standpoint

also go on youtube and search for Dan Beto drive analysis

that should help immensely

Def look into an elbow brace also though. Will help prevent any additional injury down the road.

Latest posts