• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elevation impact on distance?

bmeyaard

Bogey Member
Tomorrow we have a C-tier scheduled on a recently-closed ball golf course called the Wabash Washout (original course closed for ongoing flooding issues...but is fine for our temp course :clap:)

I measured and set up a driving range, but there is a 2-3 foot drop from the teeing area. We may all feel like superstars with a bit of extra distance, but what should I tell people if asked if there is a measurable impact of throwing from the elevated tee?

Attachments

• IMG_20131004_125430_396.jpg
    IMG_20131004_125430_396.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 71
For smaller elevation changes like that, 3' of distance for each 1' of elevation change is a pretty good rule of thumb. For that 2-3' of elevation, distances will be inflated by only 6-8' which is pretty minor.

Yep, Mashy beat me to it...rule of thumb is 3-to-1.

E.g., for every 10' of elevation you gain, it'll add around 30' worth of distance.

:)

and 60' of spray radius. The great equalizer!

Right. Wind will probably make more of a difference than 3' of elevation change. Yesterday, I threw a drive well over 400', and I was all proud of myself, but then I realized how far downhill the fairway is on that hole. :)

so is the inverse true? do you lose 3 foot for every foot the landing spot is above your throwing spot?

One tough thing about juding elevation's effect on distance, is judging elevation to begin with.

There is a tendancy to underestimate the elevation change on a long hole with a very gradual slope, and to overestimate elevation change where part of the hole has a steep slope.

so is the inverse true? do you lose 3 foot for every foot the landing spot is above your throwing spot?

I think more, but it depends on where the elevation change is, and how steep it is. A 10' wall 100' from the tee will affect your line differently from a gradual 10' slope starting 200' out.

Yeah, that's a good rule of thumb in either direction until you get to really big elevation changes.

All of this posted above, but I would like to expand on those who are talking about drastic elevation changes. Discs start behaving different when they suddenly experience drastic elevation drops below them. When a disc thrown flat suddenly gains a lot of above ground altitude because of a quick drop off, it experiences a sudden loss of air compression or pressure under it. After first when a disc is traveling its fastest, at its cruise speed, this change is negligible at best, but as the disc slows down in forward speed and spinning momentum, all the forces it was generating disappear. Discs low to the ground still generate some lift from what is called ground-effect lift, but that all disappears from a lot of height, especially for such a small object as a disc.

Putters and mids are less reliant on ground-effect lift than drivers, and combined with a few other factors generally have slower drop rates than drivers. With proper form and power, you can generally throw a mid or putter farther on a straighter line. Most drivers will suddenly lose power and dive into a fade, that is assuming they do not turn and burn all the way into the ground the opposite direction.

For example, this past Sunday I was throwing multiple shots off of Bryant Lake #17, which is the epitome of what we are talking in regards to drastic elevation drops. Immediately off the tee you are looking at a a huge drop off with another 700+ feet of flat ground before you even get to the green. My Roadrunners and Destroyers, each with their own flight pattern, were lucky to get about 80% of the way there. I had to pull a little something off of them so OAT did not sneak in and I would do something stupid. However, my Tangent rode a soft line that took forever to get down there but netted I would say easily 90% of the distance. My Ion was not far behind it. The only drivers I have done better with have been TeeBirds and Swords, and we can agree that they are not the norm when it comes to drivers as they are resistent to turning but have so little fade. It is that need for lateral movement most drivers have that kill it when it runs out of lift below.

Of course, all of this discussed above is in regards to drastic elevation change. On holes where we are only talking a few feet elevated, the driver is obviously still the way to go. You would have to give the putter or mid an upward trajectory to even take advantage of its slower drop rate, but at that point you are throwing nose up which is killing the whole philosophy the moment it leaves your hand.