• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eliminating speed 7 discs from my game?

ray1970

* Ace Member *
I'll preface this by saying that I used to learn heavily on speed 7 discs.

Lately I've found that they don't come out of my bag all that often.

Shots where I would have thrown an FD or Crave or Teebird or something similar in the past seem to be replaced with either a powered up mid or a powered down speed 9 disc. I love throwing putters and mids and I love the way a 9 speed rim feels in my hand.

Does anyone else jump gaps like that or am I just crazy and it's going to wreck my scores?

I'm not good enough (yet) to have discs of all speeds. I just carry what works for me. If 7 speeds "aren't working" for you now...leave them out. And they don't seem to be working for you since you aren't throwing them. That's how I build my bag...if I don't throw it....it doesn't take up space in my bag and that reduces the weight of my bag.

Do what works for you. I used to carry a lot of 7 speed discs (2 FDs, 3 teebirds and a banshee). But, like you, I really like 9 speeds and mids. I do still carry an FD and an FD2. The 7 speed is better for me powered down than a full power mid when there is a low ceiling. I would also rather throw a 7 speed than a powered down roadrunner or PD if I want less ground play. I don't think that I could take the FD out of my bag, but can easily play a round without my FD2. But, there are times that it is just the disc that I want so for that reason it stays in the bag.

I definitely haven't eliminated 7 speeds from my game but I'll definitely have rounds where they stay in the bag the whole day, cause I'm throwing my 9 speed or mid off the tee and A2 and putter to get close and that's it.

Of course I'll also have rounds on some courses where my Leopard3 is the highest speed I'll use all day...

The 7 speed is better for me powered down than a full power mid when there is a low ceiling.

A low ceiling straight shot is one scenario where a Crave or FD comes in handy for sure. Around here there just aren't many courses that require such a shot.

The other shot that I do like the neutral to understable speed 7 is where you are forced to throw a standstill and its a little too long to standstill a midrange.

Now I'm second guessing myself and maybe I should keep one or two in the bag just in case.

I'm not good enough (yet) to have discs of all speeds. I just carry what works for me. If 7 speeds "aren't working" for you now...leave them out. And they don't seem to be working for you since you aren't throwing them. That's how I build my bag...if I don't throw it....it doesn't take up space in my bag and that reduces the weight of my bag.

It isn't really that the 7 speeds "aren't working for me" so much as I just don't find myself in situations out on the course where reaching for them seems like the preferred option.

I do tend to throw them quite a bit up in the mountains but it's sort of rare lately that I'm playing the mountain courses.

I've always carried a bag that I could pretty much use to play any course. Maybe I should start moving discs in and out depending on the course that I intend to play?

It completely depends on your gaps. I throw Teebird - Orc - Grym. If you prefer Thunderbirds or PDs, then of course you would ditch the 7 speed slot, it would overlap. I would also bet you wouldn't find the speed 10 slot useful either, and would probably go up to a wraith or other speed 11.

I think if you can cover the shots you need with fewer discs, then taking them out of the bag helps your decision making on the course. Too much overlap leads to doubting yourself. If you really can confidently power up or power down other discs to cover, do it. It forces you to play better. And if it's only rarely that you find yourself reaching for that disc you no longer bag, you'll get by. And it won't really show up in your scores.

I've always carried a bag that I could pretty much use to play any course. Maybe I should start moving discs in and out depending on the course that I intend to play?

That's what I do. But if I'm going to play a new course or a tournament, I will take what I think I might need. Then if I play more than one round, I will take the discs I didn't use out of my bag. At 62, I prefer as light of a bag as possible.

I leaned on 7's pretty heavily and then started leaning on my Hatchet really heavily in the fall. I took all my 7's out around Thanksgiving.

I ended up losing my Z Wasp and filling that slot with an F2, but that is the only 7 that I plan to bag for the forseeable future.

I carry a 24-disc bag and I look at each one of them as a different personality. Except for a few that are recent a Sword and Anax that I'm trying to get to know. Out of the 22 I know how to use, four drivers, a fairway, and putter are going to get pulled on most courses I play at least a few times a round. The rest are situational, some frequently, others not so much, a few it's time to trade in for something else. I have a Heat and Hatchet that I can't even remember the last time I pulled, but I know the line to hit when its time. So, for myself it's about being patient with those discs I don't use much and wear out those that I do.

As for a 7-speed my Star Leopard has been my workhorse the past several months, very reliable and if I lose it, I'm going straight to the disc shop. Because of the sucess of my Star Leopard, about a month ago I picked up my first Halo a Leopard3, and I love the straight glide. My Underworld can be picture perfect on an anhyzer or turnover or can be awful. But I'll stick with it.

I just think every disc I have in the bag has a purpose whether it's being used or not frequently. Those I find with no purpose at all get traded in for another disc to experiment with. I would suggest hanging on to the 7-speed, you may find use for it again.

I just bag 2-3 FDs, then roadrunners, PDs and a firebird. Gotta have a couple of FDs, especially in the woods.

Does anyone else jump gaps like that or am I just crazy and it's going to wreck my scores?

Sorry double post but I disremembered some stuff.

Check ODRB's bag thread. He jumps from rocs to OLFs with some rare additions in between. Dude at my local shop does it different, he goes from 7 speeds to distance drivers. Says the distance gap isn't enough to justify control drivers.

You'll always come back to the FD though....

I went from Buzzz (speed 5? I forget) to the 9 class for multiple years. Between a Buzzz and a Valkyrie there isn't a true need...I do now bag Teebirds as an inbetween.

As already said do what works for you. Most large bags are superfluous even for the greats like Ken and Paul.

Sorry double post but I disremembered some stuff.

Dude at my local shop does it different, he goes from 7 speeds to distance drivers. Says the distance gap isn't enough to justify control drivers.

I also ended up doing the same as your local shop dude. I go from speed 7's, teebird, FD, leos and then up to a stack of Wraiths in different plastics for different stabilities. Only exception is that Firebird for forehands.
Was originally just trying to trim the bag down and ditching 3-4 9 speeds worked and didn't hurt my game any.
Truth be told I could probably ditch the Wraiths, most of the 7's and bag a few speed 9's and be fine.

Sometimes I just take my Craves out and use them all day, and often shoot really well. Then I get confused again - a stable Crave and a Barsby Roadrunner ... do I need them both?

Last edited:
I like throwing close to full power, hence my desire for all the discs. If I power down I early release into first available.

Trying to think what 9 speed I'd power down on to get an FD flight. Maybe the Heat. Sidewinder would be too stable. Nothing does what the Essence does, but it's an 8 speed.

i go wasp and buzz to volts and sidewinders

so speed 5 to 9

im not missin anything

I'm in a similar place at this point, but with 9 speeds. Honestly I'm not sure outside of my FH/utility discs I don't really need anything longer than a 7/8 speed on the courses I play. I carry 2-4 12+ speeds but use them on very few holes, and even then I probably should take the small distance penalty and throw a more accurate slower disc. If the gap was more of 60-80 ft than 30-40 like it currently is, I wouldn't have this dilemma. Maybe I just need to retool my form again...