• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Emerald Ash Borer

Proponents of 'free' trade are attempting to sell you something which benefits the salesman. Conveniently ommitted are actual and potential trade-offs.

Here's some links to educational materials:
http://www.emeraldashborer.info/infested-trees.php
http://www.emeraldashborer.info

This has been an 'issue' for some time now, and it's sad that the problem now seems to be entrenched. At least the National Arboretum has finally helped develop an elm variety resistant to dutch elm disease....

I hate to jump on the greed train but yeah. These things happen because American manufacturers, instead of hiring Americans, shipped jobs overseas and huge cargo ships of goods and bugs back. There are two mosquito born diseases spreading in the tiger mosquito brought here from Asia.

Well, at least some capitalists got rich.

In the North Carolina mountains, the hemlock wooly adelgid has wiped out all the mature hemlocks;unless they were treated with an insecticide. This pest came from Asia as well. I can't even tell you what a PITA it is dealing with huge,dead hemlocks
on a disc golf course.

Last edited:
In the North Carolina mountains, the hemlock wooly adelgid has wiped out all the mature hemlocks;unless they were treated with an insecticide. This pest came from Asia as well. I can't even tell you what a PITA it is dealing with huge,dead hemlocks
on a disc golf course.

I have a friend who was devastated by the hemlock trees dying off. He loves hiking in GSMNP and they're almost completely gone now.

Yea, I treated about 30 large specimen trees on the course, seven years ago and 25 survived.
Wish I would have done more...probably removed over 500 dead ones since. Very labor intensive.

If you have ash trees on your local courses you can pretty well bet they'll be affected in the near future. What's it like in your area?

I hesitate to post, but since you asked.....

We don't have a lot of Ash trees in our area, so even when it hits, we won't see the devastation you guys are suffering.

There's only one of any design significance at Stoney Hill, and that's fairly minor.

We've never been hit by an outbreak like those described here, at least not in my lifetime, and not yet. Pine borers are about the worst, but they usually hit a section of forest and then are gone.

Well, at least some capitalists got rich.

Like it or not, capitalism is the river in which we sink or swim. My observation is that the salesman rarely presents his 'clients' with the full story, therefore it is imperative one consider carefully before taking important decisions.

EAB definitely has hit the Philly area, it's been here for years since we've had Ash trees die and fall at Sedgley for 2 years now.
The state is just reporting it offically arrived last year (this is simply BS). Basically there is no cure for it, ash trees are doomed.

You would think we would have learned from the Chestnut blight in the early 1900's, another disaster imported from Asia. Prior to that; one out of every four trees in the Appalachians were American Chestnuts.

Check this out.

First picture is my place in 2008, well before I bought it. Second pic is 2016, dead tree tops all over, but the worst is in the areas I highlighted.

Looks like I'll have some ready made fairways to the west of the home sites soon enough. Maybe that's where I'll put a "Pitch n Putt" course.

Attachments

• land.jpg
    land.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 40
  • land2.jpg
    land2.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 39
I hesitate to post, but since you asked.....

We don't have a lot of Ash trees in our area, so even when it hits, we won't see the devastation you guys are suffering.

There's only one of any design significance at Stoney Hill, and that's fairly minor.

We've never been hit by an outbreak like those described here, at least not in my lifetime, and not yet. Pine borers are about the worst, but they usually hit a section of forest and then are gone.

Yea you can really see the pine beetle damage headed to the mountains. Russian olive, buck thorn, kudzu, purple loosestrife, tumbleweed, that awful desert grass that works its way into your shoes in the USA west, multiflora rose, those lady beetles all the hippies ordered to use in their gardens that have pretty much destroyed all the other native lady beetle species, it goes on and on.

We have our share of invasives, some more unwelcome than others. Just nothing wiping out whole species of trees, or whole forests. Other than Homo sapiens, of course.

You would think we would have learned from the Chestnut blight in the early 1900's, another disaster imported from Asia. Prior to that; one out of every four trees in the Appalachians were American Chestnuts.

I was recently reading that someone has created a hybrid of two chestnut cultivars in order to gain resistance to the blight. There's a push to start replanting them.

Aftermath of the Pine Beetle in Colorado.

lSQoDu4.jpg

Wow. Here in SC, the Southern Pine Beetle doesn't do that extensive damage---you usually see a few trees, to a couple of acres, killed. A nuisance when they're 80' loblolly pines in your yard---an expensive removal---but nothing so devastating.

I remember driving through Colorado around 2006 and making my way around one mountain only to find the next mountain completely covered in dead pine. I thought it was some sort of a freak forest fire that hit the area at the time. Every. Single. Tree. It was unreal.

Well, at least we shifted the blame from the capitalists to the hippies; that's real progress.

Just hope to avoid the mother of all pests in the east, the gypsy moth.

Just heard on the radio that EAB was found in Charlotte

Latest posts