• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Epic Amazon Review of Aerobie Epic

So dude writes the review and then starts a thread acting like he just discovered said review? Uh, okay...

Busted. Amazon uses your real name on reviews, and I didn't want to use my real name on here. Also I thought it'd be funnier if read as a random find rather than a "look how funny I am" thread.

But then I stopped caring about both issues and revealed myself. You mad, bro?

I got some serious questions about this disc and throwing styles. I have been throwing OH predominately for over 10 years. (although I have a strong FH and am trying to develop my BH) Was the original poster claiming their OH or even thumber was reaching 380? I am not saying it is impossible but if that is the case are you thumbing it and what disc and weight are you using? I have never met anyone that can throw OH and reach my distances which are usually just clearing 300 and maybe at best the occasional 350. Doesn't mean they aren't out there but I would love to get in on the secret.

Also for OH throwers I hear alot of people talking about thumbers all the time. I use them when I want the disc to follow an opposite line of my tomahawk but the tomahawk is going to win on distance all day long.

So I was given a used epic that already had some wear and tear and can get it to fly around 350+ normally, but I throw it with a tommy b/c it will fly further for me. Has anyone thrown it like this? Or anyone that prefers a tommy for distance over a thumber normally, prefer to thumb the epic? Is a new epic really going to fly that much further and once it hits a single tree or a couple it will lose its magic? Can't it be tuned back to closer factory setting to fly better, or maybe even the microwave trick?

Also how are those who have or do use it bend the disc prior to throwing? I usually bend it so the underside rims are facing one another dead center across the middle of the 3 dots on the underside closest to the shallow rim. I have tried to bend it the other way so the top/stamp side rims will be facing each other, but it doesn't work out.

I know there are a lot of questions but I am really interested in this topic, more or less the epic has been a novelty and I can achieve the same or better results with a FH and a wraith/lace/bolt. Also, will an epic float?

Last edited:
Was that a review or a creative writing assignment? :confused:

Busted. Amazon uses your real name on reviews, and I didn't want to use my real name on here. Also I thought it'd be funnier if read as a random find rather than a "look how funny I am" thread.

But then I stopped caring about both issues and revealed myself. You mad, bro?

You wanted us to look at you and we did. Wow us with some more hyperbolic wit.

Why would i be mad? It's your ego trip, brah

I played in a tourney this past weekend with a guy who was thumbing an ape nearly 400'. He was practically drooling over my epic. Says he hasn't been able to find one, apparently still a stranger to the internet. He could absolutely crush a thumber and I was just amazed. Crazy thing is he holds them like I do, no different. It has to be in the finish is best I can tell, snap vs arm speed and release point. Another guy I play with throws a lot of tomahawk and he threw my epic and did the barrel roll out to about 200' and it flipped flat and coasted another 200' or more. I personally use it to get out of trouble it the woods, it is awesome for that and usually makes everyone mad as they accuse it of being an illegal disc. I will always carry one for that alone.

I got some serious questions about this disc and throwing styles. I have been throwing OH predominately for over 10 years. (although I have a strong FH and am trying to develop my BH) Was the original poster claiming their OH or even thumber was reaching 380? I am not saying it is impossible but if that is the case are you thumbing it and what disc and weight are you using? I have never met anyone that can throw OH and reach my distances which are usually just clearing 300 and maybe at best the occasional 350. Doesn't mean they aren't out there but I would love to get in on the secret.

Also for OH throwers I hear alot of people talking about thumbers all the time. I use them when I want the disc to follow an opposite line of my tomahawk but the tomahawk is going to win on distance all day long.

So I was given a used epic that already had some wear and tear and can get it to fly around 350+ normally, but I throw it with a tommy b/c it will fly further for me. Has anyone thrown it like this? Or anyone that prefers a tommy for distance over a thumber normally, prefer to thumb the epic? Is a new epic really going to fly that much further and once it hits a single tree or a couple it will lose its magic? Can't it be tuned back to closer factory setting to fly better, or maybe even the microwave trick?

Also how are those who have or do use it bend the disc prior to throwing? I usually bend it so the underside rims are facing one another dead center across the middle of the 3 dots on the underside closest to the shallow rim. I have tried to bend it the other way so the top/stamp side rims will be facing each other, but it doesn't work out.

I know there are a lot of questions but I am really interested in this topic, more or less the epic has been a novelty and I can achieve the same or better results with a FH and a wraith/lace/bolt. Also, will an epic float?

To clarify, I've never thrown a normal overhand drive even close to 380 feet. I consistently drive about 350-375 with a fh or bh drive, probably hitting 400 on rare occasions. This was frustrating because everyone I play with can drive much further with much better backhand form. I seldom threw overhand drives before I got the Epic, and they were always tomahawks. I couldn't get the Epic to roll over enough until I started using a thumber.

Right now I can throw the Epic over 475', 500' with ideal conditions and a perfect rip. I'm working on a 360 turnaround run-up that I hope will add twenty feet and reduce the torque on my back. One tree will not ruin the disc. I've used a warm iron with a damp cloth over the disc to mend gouges along the rim. It seems to work pretty well, but it's a slow process. Never tried a microwave, what's the trick?

It's easier to throw a slightly beat up Epic. Brand new ones are very overstable and require a huge arm for maximum distance. I prefer mine slightly banged up. But as other comments have mentioned, it gets banged up fast. I'd say I get about 100-150 drives out of one before it gets too understable and deformed. With "maintenance," probably 200-300. I'm fine with buying a few more every season, as long as they keep working.

It won't float. You should definitely have more than one. Otherwise it's very hard to practice and get a feel for its flight pattern. And more Epics means more flight patterns to work with. Good luck, mate.

I met a guy on the course a while back that was throwing thumbers with an Epic over 500'. Then again, the guy was a former AAA ballplayer, his arms were like tree trunks.

@ bulldog: An ape? I have never heard of anyone throwing an Ape for OH, ever. Why wouldn't he throw a tommy for distance, it has a better grip and can get more action on the wrist flick. Any idea if this ape was flat on top? Or weight? Plastic type? Was he releasing over the top like throwing a baseball? Disc released vertical? Was it for sure 400'?

@ bigdan: I haven't attempted it but I have heard discs can be tuned after a 10-15 second nuke in the microwave? When you say you couldn't get epic to roll over until a thumber does that mean you couldn't get it to its maximum height and sail down? How are you tuning your thumber before you throw? In relation to the dots on the underside? When I throw the thing and get it to sail I need to have an open ceiling and put it up high once it reaches its max height it just flattens and glides out, always going slightly to the right. This is also on a tommy but that is the only way I have found it effective, otherwise, thumber or tuned inside out it doesn't work.

It is a relatively predictable shot for me, on a good release.

Last edited:
Lots of questions, but I'm happy to offer assistance to a fellow Epic driver.

@ bigdan: When you say you couldn't get epic to roll over until a thumber does that mean you couldn't get it to its maximum height and sail down?

Kind of. If you've noticed, the higher you throw an Epic, the faster it needs to spin in order to complete the barrel role, flatten out, and fly straight with a moderate fade at the end of the flight. The higher it flattens out, the farther it will soar. If you throw it too high and/or too soft, it will cut down like a sharp backhand hyzer with a thumber throw (or a sharp forehand hyzer with a tomahawk). This is useful for some throws, but not for maximum distance. Since I can get more spin on a thumber, I'm able to throw a thumber higher than a tomahawk and still achieve the desired flight path.

How are you tuning your thumber before you throw? In relation to the dots on the underside?

Like you, I usually bend it slightly downwards, towards the underside of the disc. But don't worry about the dots when you're bending it, as you'll want a uniform shape around the circumference. Don't mess with tuning too much, just do the same few gentle flexes before each drive to maximize consistency. Too much tuning is worse than not enough.

I draw a circle on the large dot with a sharpie, since it's hard to see. I grip tightly with my thumb facing the circle, adjacent to it but slightly behind, and cock my wrist back, using as much of my hand as possible to grip the disc.

Hope that helps. What grip do you use to tomahawk it? Where do you hold the disc in relation to the dots? Also, do you ever use the epic on short approaches over tall trees?

When I throw I tune it by bending down as well. I place my two fingers to the right of the larger middle dot (in the series of 3), but between the large middle dot and right dot. This is throwing right handed.

That has been the only way I have been able to get it to fly for distance, I need an open ceiling and bomb it up at a 45-55 degree angle. Never used it over trees usually will just throw a boss, or tee-rex overhand w/ the disc release horizontal over my head so it has more float and doesn't run away on landing.

Have you ever tried to tune the epic w/ the rims up? I have heard it causes the sail to go the opposite way, but it has never worked well when I tried it.

Bending a disc that way will make it more overstable. If your Epic tomahawk ends on a right to left fade, then a more overstable disc might yield a left to right fade. I've done it to a worn out Epic and it seemed to do what I wanted.

I ran across this even more "EPIC" Amazon review of the "Epic".

A friend of mine once told me a story about this disc that I refused to believe for months. After reading Stranger's review of the Epic, I've finally come to accept the veracity of this tale. I feel compelled to share it with all potential buyers of the Epic, who are likely unaware of this disc's dangerous potentials.

My friend Dave was always a free spirit. When I heard he was dropping out of graduate school and moving to Southeast Asia for a year, it didn't surprise me. He liked to push his limits and live under extreme conditions to test his survival skills. An isolated community of mountain farmers in the remote northwest region of Burma, not far from Mongkun, offered ideal accommodations for this rambling adventurer.

Upon arriving to his destination, a tiny village of about twenty huts, he found himself in the middle of monsoon season, when no farming could be carried out. The only residence offered by the local tribe was a cabin high up on the mountainside, a day's hike from the village. Dave wouldn't have minded the comfortless living conditions if it weren't for the nightly boredom he suffered in the stormy solitude of a strange land. An avid disc golfer, he sent me a postcard requesting a box of used discs for throwing from the mountaintop. He'd always dreamt of throwing a thousand foot drive, and this appeared to be his golden opportunity.

Feeling sympathetic, I searched everywhere for the longest drivers on the market. I resolved upon the Aerobie Epic, and having recently inherited a small fortune from a deceased great aunt, I filled three large boxes with new Epics and shipped them promptly. I must have sent Dave at least two hundred of these discs.

The next time I saw Dave was at the Memphis airport, five or six months later, after receiving a text from him requesting a ride. His haggard face was pale white with a cold thousand yard stare sunken deep in his eyes. I knew something was very wrong. He soon told his story.

"I should have never gone to Burma.

"Each night, a thunderstorm would shake the mountain. The downpour would come and go, but the thunder never seemed to end. After receiving your shipment of Epics, I finally had something to do. A small cave in a forest clearing near the summit offered relief from the rain and just enough room to launch a disc without getting drenched. Whenever I caught a dry moment, I would hike to the cave and throw an overhead Epic drive with all my strength just to watch it spiral through the mist and vanish below the clouds, deep into the tropical abyss.

"For weeks I threw five or six Epics a night, rationing my supply for the season. My distance was growing steadily longer until I ran out of discs and the rice fields were ready for planting. I spent the next three months working long days on the hillside subsistence farms, learning the language and culture of the Sangtam tribe, sleeping hard at night and hardly thinking about disc golf.

"When it was time to leave, I descended the mountain for the first time since my arrival and headed towards the village, where I planned to trade my rice surplus for a mule for the sixty kilometer trip to the nearest town. By the time I arrived to the village, I realized that something was...well, different.

"The men in this isolated community had always worn animal bones on their heads, decorated with exotic furs and colorful beads. But now the older and more respected men had acquired a new fashion, adorning their elaborate headgear with boldly colored plates pierced by the fierce horns of fallen beasts. Moreover, the tribeswomen had adopted a custom of stringing large pendants on their necklaces, decorating them with crooked wooden beads and the ferocious incisors of rodents still unknown to Western science.

"But it was not just the fashion that had changed during my time on the mountain. The whole society was transformed. The twenty or so huts that earlier formed a circle had been repositioned into two concentric circles, with the outside ring slightly offset. The architecture of the homes had similarly evolved, with straw rooftops revealing meticulous epicyclic designs matching the image freshly painted in animal blood on the doorway of each humble dwelling.

"Confused, I proceeded into the center of the village, hoping to find a mule before sunset. This is when my situation grew alarming. About fifteen Sangtams were lying on the ground, unclothed, encircling a newly constructed shrine and solemnly chanting a phrase I can best translate as 'Revere the Thunder Blade.' The shrine was pyramidal in shape, but unlike any pyramid I've known in the vibrancy of its flagrant color scheme. Vivid reds, yellows, and blues were seamlessly interwoven to portray a kaleidoscopic nest of unearthly life forms amid the flourishing green jungle. Perched atop the pyramid, a human skull stared nefariously towards the mountain. Some sort of feather or adornment appeared to decorate this strange idol standing before me. When I came to within a few paces of the shrine, I gasped audibly and nearly fainted.

"Staring into my soul was a still-decaying human head split along the dome by a weapon left undetached. The entire pyramid was made of objects nearly identical to that lodged in the gaping skull. My most depraved fears were confirmed when I noticed a gold lettering glisten in the dying sunlight: "Aerobie Epic Golf Disc."

"I immediately realized that all of the discs I'd thrown from the mountain had landed in the vicinity of this tiny village, hidden beneath a dense forest cover and the thick rainclouds of monsoon season. No fewer than one of my drives had caused the violent death of an indigenous tribesperson.

"Needless to say, I left the village running, as quickly as possible, never to return.

"Burmese nightmares are branded to my eyelids in scars that will never heal. But only the Sangtam can truly comprehend the mindboggling powers of the Epic Thunder Blade."

So, kudos to the author of this review for having so much fun.

@ bulldog: An ape? I have never heard of anyone throwing an Ape for OH, ever. Why wouldn't he throw a tommy for distance, it has a better grip and can get more action on the wrist flick. Any idea if this ape was flat on top? Or weight? Plastic type? Was he releasing over the top like throwing a baseball? Disc released vertical? Was it for sure 400'?

@ bigdan: I haven't attempted it but I have heard discs can be tuned after a 10-15 second nuke in the microwave? When you say you couldn't get epic to roll over until a thumber does that mean you couldn't get it to its maximum height and sail down? How are you tuning your thumber before you throw? In relation to the dots on the underside? When I throw the thing and get it to sail I need to have an open ceiling and put it up high once it reaches its max height it just flattens and glides out, always going slightly to the right. This is also on a tommy but that is the only way I have found it effective, otherwise, thumber or tuned inside out it doesn't work.

It is a relatively predictable shot for me, on a good release.
Look around on youtube for videos with Matt Dollar. He throws killer overhands. I think he usually throws Firebirds.