• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Episode 3: Dave Feldberg's Disc Golf an Honest Take

I CAN see myself doing it like that. .have 1-2 moulds in different stages of ware. . IF i could find a mould that works well. . .i have +80 moulds and +500 discs. . and i have not found it yet.

For over a year i have tryed to get a beat in Buzzz in different plastics to fly like a Buzzz SS. . but, no. . . the Buzzz SS flies So much better than a beat in Buzzz. .

I'll tell you, I don't throw any prodigy, but I ended up buying one of Kevin Jones' Tour Series M3s because of his description. I don't know why, but since my awesome old Mako3 was lost, I've been having trouble finding the mid that I could get to do the slow right turning drift without fighting back.

I have a couple of nice flip-up Buzzzes, but they all kind of remember they are Buzzzes when they slow down and fight back. That has been a slot I've struggled to fill for a while. My last couple Mako3's were both quite flippy out of the box.

The cycling thing sounds great, I'd love to get to a point where it's happening naturally in my bag, as it tends to to some degree with the pros. But if you look at any of these bag videos lately, you'll find that while most pros do cycle one or more molds, they typically at least have OS and US bookends.

These days the results are just not there honestly - the pros winning nationals aren't building bags out of 4-5 molds anymore.

These days the results are just not there honestly - the pros winning nationals aren't building bags out of 4-5 molds anymore.

No, probably not, but they're pros and most of them are familiar with cycling discs and know how to make anything work for them.

Here, 90+% of us aren't pros and learning to cycle does have it's advantages. I think it's easier to get better with one mold than the never ending "disc for every line" chase. In the end, the mold chasers end up with a lot of plastic they don't know very well and can't ever seem to settle on anything; at least from what I've experienced and seen.

Shiny mid guy here. I'm not a fan of beat up baseline plastic. I also don't really use super understable mids because I would rather forehand an OS mid or fairway driver. The truth/emac truth/verdict all feel identical in my hand and give me enough variety to shape shots FH and BH.

I also can't get a consistent clean release on a roc/comet type beaded mid, so I never really went anywhere with them. Even a buzzz is uncomfortably thin for my hand.

I kinda sorta cycle drivers in a couple slots, but mostly use different plastics in the same mold to get variety.

The number of molds in Feldberg's bag > the number of molds in mine

... by a lot! :p

I'm sure when he was with Innova, Feldberg carried only Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds, Firebirds, and Bosses.
Kidding about that. I can't imagine him carrying multiples of only a handful of molds. Isn't he known for always carrying a zillion discs?

The oldest Feldberg in the bag video that I have seen is the one below from 2013. He mentions having done in the bag videos before, but I can't find any of them. Do any of you here know of any prior to 2013?

Now that Feldberg has to attract the attention of as many disc manufacturers as possible for his Next Generation Disc Golf label, and now that he uses a cart, isn't he likely to carry even more variety?

No, probably not, but they're pros and most of them are familiar with cycling discs and know how to make anything work for them.

Here, 90+% of us aren't pros and learning to cycle does have it's advantages. I think it's easier to get better with one mold than the never ending "disc for every line" chase. In the end, the mold chasers end up with a lot of plastic they don't know very well and can't ever seem to settle on anything; at least from what I've experienced and seen.

Also remember that 90+% of us are doing this as a fun hobby and for some of them part of the fun of the hobby is buying and trying new plastic. Not maybe the best way to win your local beer'n'weed dubs league, but if that's what turns someone's crank who am I to care?

When Feldberg won The Player's Cup and the $5000 purse he gave his caddy $1000 for carrying his bag. It was pretty full and heavy. Probably 25+ discs.

I think it's easier to get better with one mold than the never ending "disc for every line" chase. In the end, the mold chasers end up with a lot of plastic they don't know very well and can't ever seem to settle on anything; at least from what I've experienced and seen.

I don't think it is that black and white. There is a huge amount of in between gray area from one mold cycle and never ending chase to get the one disc for each shot.

I prefer the similar feel of plastic and disc shape. So in a sense its like mold cycling they are just fully different off the shelf. I think that is something the Trilogy mids have really done well and maybe discraft as well. Honestly Innova a bit as well, they just call a bunch of different molds a Roc. Is it really a single mold cycle like Feldy talks about getting 5 ghosts exactly the same, when talking about rancho roc and san marino and roc3 and then varying plastic?

I mean...look, we are all in this for different reasons. If you want to compete and be the best player you can be, you certainly should listen to Feldberg more than you should listen to me. If you are just goofing and having fun, you don't really have to listen to anybody.

The "shiny mid" thing goes with age. Somebody Feldberg's age started playing in the all-DX era and would have leaned on DX/KC Pro Rocs. You get used to them. You get comfortable with them. You cycle them and use them for everything and recommend them to everybody. It's just how it is. Feldberg won a USDGC before Star plastic was a thing. Younger players are not going to care and will throw a Star plastic mid. Star plastic has been around the entire time they have been playing, so nothing to get used to.

Last edited:
Supposed to? Sounds like you're giving us military orders. And i totally reject what you're saying. Cycle if you want, but it's not the only way to build a bag. And my objection is to you and those that say we have to do only that, that we're supposed to cycle one mold. How are you going to force me or anyone else to do that, hmm?

Good job picking an argument as usual.

It is possible to achieve all the shot shapes with 1 mold. Possibly excepting utility, but Power level changes that in both directions.

Which mold works best to accomplish this will change based on player.

This isn't up for debate, it's already been debated 1000 times. Anyone can throw whatever the hell discs they want to but if you want to learn how to throw more consistently, reduce your number of molds. All high level players do this. Dave is perhaps the most extreme example, eg. he throws a lot of discs but he doesn't throw 1 and only 1 of every disc. He cycles to some extent.

Also remember that 90+% of us are doing this as a fun hobby and for some of them part of the fun of the hobby is buying and trying new plastic. Not maybe the best way to win your local beer'n'weed dubs league, but if that's what turns someone's crank who am I to care?

Oh, sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that one shouldn't buy and try discs. If buying/trying and amassing discs is what brings some joy, then by all means have at it! I do think that if you want to get better at disc golf though, one should find something and stick with it.

I see a lot of option paralysis, to many discs to choose and a lack of confidence in the choice that is finally made. Then when the shot didn't go well, they blame the disc and choose a different one next time. To me, this doesn't sound like fun, but to each they're own.

I can give one example. A friend of mine and I play this one course all the time and one hole is a long sweeping anhyzer (a forehand is not really a good option) and for the last three years, every time I throw he asks what disc it was. It's a beat Roc, it's what I throw every time. Here is a list of what I have seen him throw; X-Comet, Z-Comet, Z-Meteor, Champ Mako3, G*Mako3, Roc, V-Roc, M4, Stingray, Claymore, Truth, Buzzz, Nebula, Warship and I'm sure there are probably a few I can't recall. My point is, he gets annoyed because he can't consistently make the shot and he is clearly not having fun. He just keeps trying more and more discs instead of just learning the shot.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Folks can get their enjoyment where ever they can. Personally, my enjoyment comes from making nice shots and having boxes of discs in my basement brings me anxiety!:p

Last edited:
He's the Mold Maximalist Martyr, fighting the good fight.

Well, somebody's gotta do it, and I'll gladly take up the gauntlet. :popcorn: ;)

Seriously, I don't care if someone minimizes their molds, or cycles baseline plastic discs. Whatever is fun for them, go for it.

What irks me and gives rise to pushback is when I'm told "you are supposed to" cycle, that cycling is the ONLY way to do it, that I am "wrong" for not cycling, much less minimizing my molds. (And yes, I've been told I'm WRONG for daring to oppose the Gospel of Cycling Discs).

And Dave Feldberg may be a pro player, but that doesn't mean his word is the Holy Gospel of DG. Would Innova bother making so many molds if everyone threw the same ones based on one pro's "gospel"?

I think most people, including pros would say find a 1-3 molds that work for you and bag multiples instead of a bag of 20 single discs.

Which molds those are doesn't matter and is besides the point.

Innova makes a lot of molds because they are trying to get a mold that works for as many players as possible to make the most money. That has nothing to do with mold minimalism.

You do you but don't be upset when the experts don't agree with whatever you think is the right way of doing things.

I'm not expert. Dave Feldberg is one, hard to argue with that. Dave D, Ken Climo, definitely experts.

Take their advice or don't, up to you.

Yeah I see both sides of the argument, I've amassed a ton of discs I don't throw anymore looking for the right ones. As I get older, more worn out and also better I'm discing down more, I've reduced my molds not entirely by choice but out of what's working.. I like options but the more I throw my favourites and break them in the more I want the "fresh" option as well. My game improved immensely when I got 10 identical plastic/ weight putters. Plasma Envy's.. And I'm introducing my soft Envy again for driving even though I was sure they were crap last year for losing stability.. Funny how you think things change but it's the same stuff people have been telling you for 10yrs.

My English is not great but i will try to explain my biggest problem with cycleing disc. .for ME

Let´s say i get 5 ROC´s and work them in so i have US to OS. . let´s call them 1-5 where "1" is the most US and "5" the most OS.. . so i have "US 1 2 3 4 5 OS"

My first BIG problem as an AM that plays 1-3 times a week is to even get the discs that beat in.. .

But my biggest problem is that will use the "3" disc the most, then the "2 and 4" and very seldom throw the US "1" and OS "5"
So very soon i will have more like "1 1,5 2 3,5 and 5" and a few months later the five discs will be " 1 1 2 3 5" so i constantly need to replace that "4" disc

And then comes the problem that very beat in disc does not feel very good in the hand. . so by the time that "4" disc becomes a "2" i feels very Worn

Did any of that make any sense :)

But it also very hard to beat in a ROC to fly like a Mako. . . i use the BUZZZ and a can´t get a beat in one to fly like a BUZZZ SS, and i prefer the flight of a new BUZZZ SS over a beaten in BUZZZ

. . and then comes the "problem" of remembering which disc is which . . i was always impressed that Paul could have seven Destroyers of varying stability in his bag and then remember which disc is which :)

I mean he would always put new Destroyers in when the ones in the bag got less stable. .so that "red one" that was the "stable one" is going to be "the less stable one" o few month later...

I think with Macbeth going to distract and still crushing shows that this mold familiarity concept is vastly overrated. It's the Archer, not the arrow that matters

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Latest posts