• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Ryan C said:
I have to say that I'm surprised that the green one is less stable. My green ones, which look exactly like the one in that picture, are definitely my most stable and most liked cyclones.

Exactly what I was saying...this goes the opposite way as the usual expectation.

I wonder if I could flatten out the green one using some sort of method (e.g., by stacking stuff on top of it, maybe with a little heat applied), and then see if it flies more similarly to my orange and earlier ESP Cyclones.

One possibility I hadn't considered is that the green one might have a huge air bubble or something hidden inside the rim somewhere, which would cause it to wobble in flight due to uneven mass distribution. I'm groping here, because none of the other explanations seem to make sense.

I got a white ESP Cyclone also from discspeed, which I haven't yet thrown. It is somewhere between these two discs in terms of domey-ness. I'll throw it today along with the others, and see how it flies.

So I just picked up an ESP Cyclone for shits and giggles. I had never thrown a Cyclone up until yesterday. Took it out yesterday to Ewing Park. I was quite impressed with its flight. It is very easy to work on various lines 300-350. It's like a comet, but in driver form. I need to toy with it a bit more, but signs point to it going in the winter bag.

BLURR said:
So I just picked up an ESP Cyclone for shits and giggles. I had never thrown a Cyclone up until yesterday. Took it out yesterday to Ewing Park. I was quite impressed with its flight. It is very easy to work on various lines 300-350. It's like a comet, but in driver form. I need to toy with it a bit more, but signs point to it going in the winter bag.

That sounds like the green domey Cyclone in the picture I posted above. Indeed, it can be very useful if you think of it as a longer Comet. But the more stable ESP Cyclones are much more fun: you can crank on them and get beautiful responses in terms of turn, glide, and fade out to distances of at least 350 ft. Much more if you can get a lot of spin on them.

Either way, I think I might consider the domey Comet-Cyclone as a replacement for my first run Z-Stalker, which is almost too valuable to throw.

JR said:
Sean40474 said:
Which water trick?

I think they mean hot to boiling water on a disc lying on a flat surface to flatten the dome.

I could try it, but I'm still considering keeping the domey long-Comet-like Cyclone as it is, while pairing it with the flatter long-Gazelle-like Cyclone (I recently procured one of these via my secret Santa).

BTW: I've noticed that the domey Stalkers are also more Comet-like than their FR predecessors (which wouere more stable)...I wonder whether we might find other examples of this...perhaps this only occurs with Discraft plastic?

EpicLeopard1337 said:
less domey = more stable?
usually you go more by plh to determine stability.

For the most part on domey vs. flat (if the plh is the same)

narrow rimmed drivers more dome = less stability
wide rimmed drivers more dome = more stability

eli said:
EpicLeopard1337 said:
less domey = more stable?
usually you go more by plh to determine stability.

For the most part on domey vs. flat (if the plh is the same)

narrow rimmed drivers more dome = less stability
wide rimmed drivers more dome = more stability

You can go back in the thread for more details, but the gist is that the ESP Cyclone defies the usual behavior:

Thrown flat, the...
...domey ESP Cyclone is like a long Comet: extremely sensitive to OAT, easy to flip over, sensitive to wind, and little/no fade. Handles a clean spin-dominant throw really well, and tends to run off on a straight line (so be sure to throw it at the target!).
...flat ESP Cyclone is like a long Gazelle: holds a stable line on a hyzer flip, bleeds off OAT quickly, very good in the wind, and has a strong fade. You can crank on this thing, put it out on high flex lines, and you can count on a predictable fade.

Go figure. There is absolutely no difference in PLH between the ESP Cyclones I have compared, the bottoms are identical. The only difference is in the dome. I now have thrown 6 different (recent) ESP Cyclones to build up this comparison.

Anyways, I've notice that a couple Crystal Z Stalkers my wife and I got as swag, which are domey in comparison to my first run Z Stalker, are also a bit strange in some similar ways as the ESP Cyclone.

All of this really makes me want to get into a wind tunnel and look at the flow over these molds at various speeds. Sometimes simple rules work, and sometimes they don't. I would like to know why...

Maybe the distribution of the air flowing over and under the disc changes enough with the dome variations to make the flight changes you described.

You probably want to see if someone has both of the domey runs (more and less stable) to compare plh.

There are freak runs that defy both of those general rules but yours sounds like it follows the trend on dome.

It's a narrow rimmed driver with the same plh so domey = less stable. I'm assuming that the domey runs that were more stable had a higher plh but I could be wrong.

so I love my esp cyclones. Straight as an arrow but can't handle winds for sh1t. The z's are of no interest because they fly like bricks,no glide. I have been looking for something more stable to compliment it.

I've been considering

glow gazelles
champ eagle x's

anybody have any success throwing glow gazelles into moderate winds? Hows the longevity of the stability of the glow gaz?

any other suggestions for a slow overstable/stable compliment?

yea i knew what you meant,i should of clarified that i want a slow fairway driver like the cyclone thats more stable. i might just learn to power dwn more often on the pds.now that i think about it i could use my beat to shit cpd,it definitely gets turn out of it now but if i lose it ,im screwed because it took forever to beat .

This might be a really dumb idea but what about a really beat Whippet or Banshee?