• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

European Open 2016

Given the amount of resources that Spin has, their quality is less than it could be.

Can we have an honest discussion about this. I hear this all the time, and frankly I don't understand it.

What resources are you under the impression that we have, that we're not using, and therefore not achieving quality-par?

Not trying to argue, I would just like to get to the bottom of this myth once and for all.

Can we have an honest discussion about this. I hear this all the time, and frankly I don't understand it.

What resources are you under the impression that we have, that we're not using, and therefore not achieving quality-par?

Not trying to argue, I would just like to get to the bottom of this myth once and for all.

I think that the impression is that SpinTV is Innova, and that Innova's ubiquity somehow equals millions of dollars in profits, which of course would then be available for SpinTV to blow with massive budgets and high end equipment and employees at your disposal.

This is obviously utter nonsense, but that's my guess.

Where are the Hooters girls?

I usually think you have the best coverage out there, I love your professional commentary. Leave the casual banter, laugh track, etc, to other producers. But..I have to ask....do you really think that zoomed in camera work for the drive is good? It doesn't make sense to me to only see half the player so up close during a drive. I would think a stationary camera on a tripod having the player framed in full with the tee would be an ideal shot for the drive. Then once the disc is in the air you can zoom to follow the disc or switch to camera #2, etc, etc.

I think that the impression is that SpinTV is Innova, and that Innova's ubiquity somehow equals millions of dollars in profits, which of course would then be available for SpinTV to blow with massive budgets and high end equipment and employees at your disposal.

This is obviously utter nonsense, but that's my guess.

I can see that being the rationale. You're right, it's not accurate.

I should probably just be happy that people THINK we have expensive productions. In reality it's some incredibly talented people that happen to love disc golf.

Where are the Hooters girls?

In order to not risk any more backlash - we're actually going to have men in Hooters waitress uniforms holding the leaderboards from now on.

I usually think you have the best coverage out there, I love your professional commentary. Leave the casual banter, laugh track, etc, to other producers. But..I have to ask....do you really think that zoomed in camera work for the drive is good? It doesn't make sense to me to only see half the player so up close during a drive. I would think a stationary camera on a tripod having the player framed in full with the tee would be an ideal shot for the drive. Then once the disc is in the air you can zoom to follow the disc or switch to camera #2, etc, etc.

Thanks!

I in general agree, that how you're describing works best. Sometimes it's a matter of physically not being able to set that shot up since the same cameras have to follow the card (as opposed to a Golf broadcast with lots of stationary and roaming cameras) and be minimally interfering, which includes the pace of the round.

It's the love-hate relationship with trees, they're great for making the course fun, hell for anything media related.

The thing I love that Esa has put into the EO and KO videos is getting the lens back to the emotional reactions of the players after their shots. That's definitely a liberty that 2 camera affords.

Oh no doubt. Kinda shifts the narrative back to where it was at the beginning of the season a bit. I'll be curious to see how Ricky responds at BSF this weekend, or if the combination of travel and the big emotions of the event leads to a letdown for both and opens the door to another contender.

smart money is on paul to win this nt event. he likes the fling.

the time we went out on your yaucht and drank tiger blood from gold goblets was fun but seems a bit excessive in hindsight. theres people dying in these forums just for a legit title to match their username. might be time to chill bros. :clap: or evryone keep touching themselves per normal.
line forms at the last haters wonky upshot. you bitch.

But..I have to ask....do you really think that zoomed in camera work for the drive is good? It doesn't make sense to me to only see half the player so up close during a drive. I would think a stationary camera on a tripod having the player framed in full with the tee would be an ideal shot for the drive. Then once the disc is in the air you can zoom to follow the disc or switch to camera #2, etc, etc.

I in general agree, that how you're describing works best. Sometimes it's a matter of physically not being able to set that shot up since the same cameras have to follow the card (as opposed to a Golf broadcast with lots of stationary and roaming cameras) and be minimally interfering, which includes the pace of the round.

Recognizing the limits imposed by the size of the teeing area on where the videographer can set up, and that it's difficult, if not impossible, to ensure that throwers/players don't block the field of view as they and the videographer are trying to follow a throw, I absolutely detest the 3-5 second "and while we're waiting for the disc to land, here's a closeup of the back of the thrower's (or the upcoming thrower's) shirt" shot that crops up at least 3-4 times in every video.

Would it not be possible to carry (or, if a volunteer is available, have someone carry) and set up a 3-4' stepladder to allow the videographer to shot from slightly above the thrower's heads? As a hobbyist photographer, it seems to me that that would not significantly alter the viewing perspective, and would reduce, if not eliminate, the incidence of players blocking the field of view.

Would it not be possible to carry (or, if a volunteer is available, have someone carry) and set up a 3-4' stepladder to allow the videographer to shot from slightly above the thrower's heads? As a hobbyist photographer, it seems to me that that would not significantly alter the viewing perspective, and would reduce, if not eliminate, the incidence of players blocking the field of view.

FTW :hfive:

Kudos to Jamie, IMO, the back nine video is the best he's done. Context was great. For example, "the card was weak on that hole" followed by, at three over par, that is well below their performance. He made way more comments of this type, as opposed to meaningless descriptions of the shot. Comments on wind conditions, at the tee, down the fairway, and at the basket let us know why shots were going astray as opposed to something going wrong with the player. Color on players and relationships, very nice. Clearly he worked hard on this one and I enjoyed it.

To be clear, Jamie aims for a slightly less casual approach than Ian, and I prefer Ian's more casual approach, but most will prefer that slightly stoic style, and Jamie did it well.

Recognizing the limits imposed by the size of the teeing area on where the videographer can set up, and that it's difficult, if not impossible, to ensure that throwers/players don't block the field of view as they and the videographer are trying to follow a throw, I absolutely detest the 3-5 second "and while we're waiting for the disc to land, here's a closeup of the back of the thrower's (or the upcoming thrower's) shirt" shot that crops up at least 3-4 times in every video.

As a producer, I wouldn't do that route simply because I'm not going to put my CamOp in a position to potentially get injured. I'd take all the flak in the world online before I'd risk my crews safety.

However, I do agree with your premise, that a camera on an elevated platform would at least partially solve this issue. The consistent issue we run up against is the "Good-Fast-Cheap" triangle.

The best place to do something like this would be a European Open or USDGC type event though (where they come back to the same place, so we could theoretically store gear and set it up as though it were part of the course ahead of time).

Kudos to Jamie, IMO, the back nine video is the best he's done. Context was great. For example, "the card was weak on that hole" followed by, at three over par, that is well below their performance. He made way more comments of this type, as opposed to meaningless descriptions of the shot. Comments on wind conditions, at the tee, down the fairway, and at the basket let us know why shots were going astray as opposed to something going wrong with the player. Color on players and relationships, very nice. Clearly he worked hard on this one and I enjoyed it.

To be clear, Jamie aims for a slightly less casual approach than Ian, and I prefer Ian's more casual approach, but most will prefer that slightly stoic style, and Jamie did it well.

Thanks, I've been scrutinzing golf broadcasts more lately. It's also amazingly helpful to have Metrix at my fingertips, and the reaction cuts in the videos are superb. I can't say enough how much I appreciate the job the crew did at KO and EO.

Ian and I had a good discussion about this, and we both discovered that when we started doing commentary, we modeled it after video game replays (WCReplays.com - anyone else a gaming nerd too?) as opposed to live sports broadcasts. Our styles have each evolved since then, and I'm happy that we're different because it gives the sport some variety.

Who knows, maybe one day we'll get the opportunity to sit down in the proverbial booth together.

Just watched the final round back 9. I really enjoyed the coverage, but I will say the commentary seemed a little intrusive for me. I thought all the comments were spot on but the constant play by play was a little too much. I think it would be better if you didn't speak to every shot especially some of the simple placement drives and up shots. Just my 2 cents, like I said the coverage was still enjoyable and I can't imagine how hard it must be to provide commentary on the fly. Keep up the good work.

People are so nit picky. Why can't be all be happy that there is tournament coverage from a different COUNTRY?! I watched both the front and the back of the final round and I had absolutely no issue with any of it. I think the commentary is accurate and professional. The camera views were high quality and I especially appreciated the way putting was filmed. It was nice to be able to see the actual putting stroke and I felt like it gives a better perspective on distance to the pin.

Just watched the final round back 9. I really enjoyed the coverage, but I will say the commentary seemed a little intrusive for me. I thought all the comments were spot on but the constant play by play was a little too much. I think it would be better if you didn't speak to every shot especially some of the simple placement drives and up shots. Just my 2 cents, like I said the coverage was still enjoyable and I can't imagine how hard it must be to provide commentary on the fly. Keep up the good work.
I'm gonna disagree. One of the things where Jamie showed improvement was in moments where you'd expect quiet, in the box, and putting, he'd stop the commenting.

I don't believe so, that camera was part of YLE's live broadcast gear.

If that's something people would like to see we may be able to incorporate something like that at USDGC.
That camera is sweet! I'd just like to be able to see the whole body in the frame/slightly zoomed out and not moving, next time around. I love watching the PGA events when they playback the Konica Minolta Swing Vision camera.

Latest posts