• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Event postponed - player refunds?

DiscFifty

Banned
If an event gets postponed due to weather, should the players be offered a full refund in the event they can't make the new date?

Players should who want a refund because they can't make the newly scheduled date absolutely are entitled to one. Tourney date was changed through no fault of the players.

May I ask what weather condition caused the TD to postpone the event?

I've seen tourneys played in sub zero temps, pouring rain, sweltering heat... a point could be made that some conditions give certain players a competitive advantage over others because they deal with the elements better.

Short of life threatening weather (e.g. hurricane) I'd have held the event as scheduled. If players don't want to show up due to crappy weather, that's up to them, but they forfeit their registration fee. I'd delay the start or stop play for immediate danger like tornado or lightening, but that's something you find out only hours before it happens, not days in advance.

Last edited:
Cold rainy weather. He's offering a refund, but minus a $5.00 processing fee. I searched the pdga rules and didn't find any clarification on this. If you know a link to the rules which clarifies this, that would be great. Thx.

Event should definitely be held as scheduled. Cold and rainy? It's not like we are playing softball. Seems strange to call off a tourney for rain, but if that's the case, I'd probably expect my entry fee to be refunded.also, I'd probably go play a round in the crappy weather if I had already scheduled the day off.

Just stating my opinion, but doubt there's actually anything in the rules about it.
You could always resort to calling the TD a wuss.

I think the $5 processing fee is lame, and while I don't like the concept, I'm not sure how loud I'd bitch about it. I'd probably be hesitant to sign up for another one of his events, though.

Last edited:
I've never heard of an event being postponed. But I'm sure it must happen somewhere.

Players should get a full refund.

TDs shouldn't be forced to lose money, if the postponement was beyond their control. Especially if the event was structured where they wouldn't make money if it was held

So.....what to do?

Without knowing the details, I could swallow losing a few dollars as a player.

I've played---and run---tournaments in 35-degree rain with high winds. How much worse could it be?

I'm too lazy to look, but isn't there a provision for an event being terminated before enough rounds are completed to make it official?

Oh, what the heck, here's the closest thing: a tournament postponed after it starts, that can't be finished:

The Tournament Director will make every effort to complete all rounds of the tournament as scheduled.

1. If a total of 54 holes or fewer holes are scheduled. All players must complete a minimum of 18 holes for the event to be considered official.

2. If a total of 72 holes are scheduled. All players must complete a minimum of 36 holes for the event to be considered official.

3. If these criteria are not met, all efforts will be made to reschedule the event. If rescheduling is impossible, a full refund will be issued minus player's package, PDGA, and other associated event fees.

I'm guessing the OP is talking about the SLD event in The Colony tomorrow. DFW got hit by a snowmaggedon that nearly shut down every highway all day long. Not joking at 11 am this morning there were more accidents on the traffic reports than they could list. And all the water left on the roads tonight will refreeze by tomorrow morning. I'm with the TD, postpone. No one needs to end up wrecking a car or worse trying to play some dg.

For clarification: I'm not even registered in the event, I was just curious about the official rules regarding cancelling/postponing tournaments and refunds. I have hopes of running a tournament some day and this particular situation peaked my interest. Seems kind of unfair if people can't make the new date they lose out on $5.00, but no big deal in the long run. SLD is good group of guys, I've played in quite a few of their events. ;)

Southerner's definition of bad weather never fails to amaze me.

Guilty.

Well, I've run a tournament in snow, too, which was at least a novelty around here. I'm not a fan of playing in snow---but I'd rather be in snow and frigid temperatures than soaked in a cold windy rain. To me, that's the worst.

Anyway, the claim had been made that the tournament was being postponed for cold rain. And rain doesn't get much colder than 35 degrees.

Yeah cold, rain with wind are the worst. Recently had an ice bowl postponed here, snow, gusts to 60mph and -30 wind chill.

I've had to postpone or cancel a few events over the years. Mostly snow related, where a storm was forecast to roll in during the night before or morning of the tournament and made travel outright dangerous (I mean dangerous by northern standards not this namby-pamby half inch of snow and ice shuts down the south stuff). Playing in the crap isn't reason to cancel, but making people drive in it? Yeah, better to err on the side of caution in that case.

Did have to postpone one summer tournament due to a hurricane a few years ago. I think we would have had people fool enough to play but the governor declared a state of emergency which essentially shut everything down, so our hand was kinda forced on that one. Worst part about that one for me was the only date we could push it to meant I couldn't attend. Fortunately, it was never a one man show for that tournament, so it went on without me.

But to the OP's point, absolutely the TD should be offering refunds to the players who can't make the new date. I can understand the TD not refunding processing fees, especially if they're out of his hands in the first place. The PDGA guidelines for refunds state that even with full refunds, the TD can keep (or not return) up to 10% for "postage and handling".

In Saul's defense, I'm from Michigan and play a night time glow league all winter long. My record low is -5 with wind chills down to -15. I've played when the news stations were Warning of a winter storm and not to leave the house unless it's an emergency. And I'd rather play in those conditions than 35 with rain and wind.

Ya I have family in texas and from what Ive seen while down there they arent the best in wet conditions let alone snow and ice so since it is down south I think the TD made the right decision. Now up here in the north play on!!

Basically everything shuts down here at the sight of snow and ice. To be honest, most folks here don't know how to safely drive in winter conditions and a lot of the smaller cities and towns don't have the equipment necessary to make roads safe. Having lived in Chicago before moving to TX, it is still pretty amazing to me just how little ice it takes to throw a wrench in things around here.

To the OP - yes, I would expect that refunds would be in order for those who can't make the new date. Seems only fair to me.

I know it's the TD in me, but I feel sorry if a TD has to cancel an event and eat a bunch of fixed expenses. Not just the processing fees for online payments, or sending out 90 refunds, but custom-stamped tournament discs, trophies, park or porta-john rentals, etc.

If the TD was looking to make a profit, well, that's a business risk. But it he was giving everything back to the players and looking to break even, or if it was to support the club, course, or charity, that would be tough.