• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever caught someone with your disc?

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Have your ever lost a disc, and then seen someone on a course throwing your disc? I bet we can get some interesting stories.

I have never had this happen to me, but I did have a guy call me a month ago about a disc I lost almost 2 years ago. He told me he found it at a course about 20 miles from the course I lost it at. I told him thanks for finding it, and he hung up on me. I didn't care, becasue it was a green disc, and thats the reason I lost it in the first place.

y call and hang up? Should have asked if he wanted to kick your dog too!

One day I was playing and my daughter said "Dad, Dad, look that boy has your XL". I looked and there was a very poor looking hispanic family (Grandmother, Mom, Dad, two girls, three boys) playing DG. They only had two discs between them all to share and they were close enough that I could see my name on the bottom of a blue XL that was in one of the boy's hands. It had been one of my favorite discs.

I told my three kids that it was ok. "Let's not say anything. I can buy all the discs I want and already have too many discs as it is." They were all a little upset but I could see them thinking about it.

A few holes later the family had a disc stuck in a tree and we caught up to them. We helped them get it down. In the process I noticed another disc in the tree (yellow Champion Valkyrie) and also got it down and handed it to my five year old. He looked around and one of the other little boys about his age was looking at him with sad eyes. My son handed him the disc and said "you can have it." The boy's eyes lit up. I had two brand new matching peach colored Aviar P&A's that I had just bought for cheap at Academy. I pulled them out and handed them to the little girls. I handed the dad a DX gazelle. They were very thankful and my kid's still talk about that as the greatest disc golf experience of their short lives.

We still occasionally see that family playing and we always wave and they wave at us.

Very inspiring Sideman. This game is not about the discs, it's about the people that throw them.
To be a good guy is tough but with your kids in tow it's the only way to go.

And they're still playing... that's cool. A negative experience might just have turned them away from the game totally. Nice job.

One day I was playing and my daughter said "Dad, Dad, look that boy has your XL". I looked and there was a very poor looking hispanic family (Grandmother, Mom, Dad, two girls, three boys) playing DG. They only had two discs between them all to share and they were close enough that I could see my name on the bottom of a blue XL that was in one of the boy's hands. It had been one of my favorite discs.

I told my three kids that it was ok. "Let's not say anything. I can buy all the discs I want and already have too many discs as it is." They were all a little upset but I could see them thinking about it.

A few holes later the family had a disc stuck in a tree and we caught up to them. We helped them get it down. In the process I noticed another disc in the tree (yellow Champion Valkyrie) and also got it down and handed it to my five year old. He looked around and one of the other little boys about his age was looking at him with sad eyes. My son handed him the disc and said "you can have it." The boy's eyes lit up. I had two brand new matching peach colored Aviar P&A's that I had just bought for cheap at Academy. I pulled them out and handed them to the little girls. I handed the dad a DX gazelle. They were very thankful and my kid's still talk about that as the greatest disc golf experience of their short lives.

We still occasionally see that family playing and we always wave and they wave at us.

its nice that people still look out for others in need and spread the cheer of disc golf. way to go and thank you for helping out a stranger that wants to learn the game.

that was a tearjerker...back to the original theme, some punks in NY call you when they find your disc and then tell you thanx and hang up..karma works in mysterious ways though...i have caught a few people throwing my plastic and only once did i lose my cool..i have had people tell me" a friend gave it to me", while my name and phone number, pdga number are still written on it..a few times i just said keep it, but one guy lied flat out and said he bought it at dick's sporting goods...it was a prototype x-cal and i knew he was lying, so i just took it back from him and walked away...reminds me of a saying, everything you need to know in life, you learned in kindergarten...i do all in my power to return lost discs because i know how special some can be..

You're truly an ambassador of the sport. Kudos to you!

Just another thought...

Who are you and what did you do with the real sidewinding? Does your wife get on here and leave posts like this when you're not looking? :eek:

I believe that there is a bigger contrast from post to post for you vs. anyone else on this site. And that's a good thing. It sure does keep things interesting! :D

My buddy Tim and I caught a guy with Tim's disc once. We were at the "resting spot" on the course when the group behind us caught up to us. Wanting to "rest" some more, we told them they could play through. One of the guys in the group didn't have a golf bag and was holding 3 discs in his hand. When he stepped up to drive, he tossed the other discs on the tee-pad and they seperated, exposing the underside with my buddy's signature trade mark on the bottom. I pointed it out to my buddy and he was like... "Yo! That's my disc." The guy got all nervous and said proove it. Tim showed him another one of his discs with his info and trademark 'TM' on it. The guy hung his head and handed it over. For a second there it seemed like the situation was going to get confrontational, but hen my buddy offered him $1 as a finders fee. I don't remember if the guy took it or not.
DSCJNKY

Just another thought...

Who are you and what did you do with the real sidewinding? Does your wife get on here and leave posts like this when you're not looking? :eek:

I believe that there is a bigger contrast from post to post for you vs. anyone else on this site. And that's a good thing. It sure does keep things interesting! :D

We haven't heard the rest of the story yet. Mabey something like:
Later that afternoon there was a robbery about a mile away from the golf course involving a Hispanic family. All were illegal aliens and the cops shot and killed the adults and two of the boys in a fierce gun battle and took the rest of the kids into custody. Grandmother,mom,dad,two girls and three boys. Cops found a pick-up truck load of various disc golf frisbees and were attempting to call the names and numbers written on them to determine if they were involved with this evil family or merely just victims.:p

I was playing at Central Park one day and this group behind us threw while we were crossing from hole 4 to hole 5. A disc came right up to me. An orange Avenger. My orange Avenger. I just picked it up, said "This is mine," and kept walking.

I just picked it up, said "This is mine," and kept walking.

Haha, nice.

I was playing at Lenora park one day and my group threw our drives and then turned around to talk to another golfer. By the time we got to the basket my disc was gone. I had seen some kids around the area of the hole earlier and had to figure out where they had gone. Sure enough they had it. Was a CFR destroyer when they first started coming out. I was relieved to have it back and I think that is what kept me from smackin those kids. :eek:

I found a disc last week at mundens point and was playin the course when this kid came up to me .looked like he was 8 and asked if i found a disc any where near by. i couldnt say no and not let the kid play being a dad my self with aspirations of my son playing when he gets older.

I was playing at Central Park one day and this group behind us threw while we were crossing from hole 4 to hole 5. A disc came right up to me. An orange Avenger. My orange Avenger. I just picked it up, said "This is mine," and kept walking.

I get a chuckle outta this one............. i figure if he didn't see you pick it up he probably spent 30 minutes looking for it too :p

Latest posts