• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever discover an unknown course?

I was fishing at a park off the Mississippi this summer when I noticed a sign for DG. I was excited but quickly let down when I only found some flags and spots for future baskets. Layout seemed nice! :| Not going to lie I was playing it in my head already haha.

Riverfront Park?

I have a seven hole course set up on my property. Some overlapping baskets, of course. But I've invited friends and had a few "tournaments" out here a time or two.

There are few moments that genuinely excite me more than stumbling upon a course at random. I have and will continue to stop and throw if I coincidentally drive by an unbeknownst course to myself (time allowing)while on a road trip.

I was out bagging a couple years ago, playing, of all things, a school for the deaf and blind. As I got into my car, I looked across the street towards a high school sports area, and found a 9 hole course. Literally 200' away across the street.

In 2017 we were headed back to Texas and pulled in to Utah Lake State Park to camp. I noticed a couple of baskets near the entrance and checked them out to find a brand new 9-hole course. No tees or teesigns, but nine baskets in a playable configuration. I added the course with a map to this site and to this day no one else has marked it as played.

You're pretty much correct that damn near every small town in Iowa has a 9 hole course anymore. They just keep popping up. The most recent one was in a podunk town in NE Iowa with a population around 1500 people and was designed by McCabe.

In the 1990s, in a pre-digital world (at least for me), I would take wandering trips around the country, exploring backroads and small towns and playing whatever courses were listed in the printed PDGA Directory. They were few and far between.

I was somewhere in or near Iowa, and the backroad I was following dead-ended into a 4-lane highway. Across the road was a high school, so I pulled over to it to stop and study a map, and decide which way to go. When I finished and put down the map, I looked out the window and there was a basket about 40' from me. I hadn't noticed it pulling in because it never crossed my mind that there would be anything of interest in a high school parking lot.

I don't remember the name, but there's an arboretum of sorts next to a school, and a pretty 9-hole course in it.

I ran into several other little 9-hole courses---seems every little town in Iowa has one in their town park---but that was the most startling.

Where I work there is an abandoned course with baskets all around the property and it's great because I take the guys I work with out to play all the time but it's in any registry that it was a course,I think it just was put here but it plays well.

Where I work there is an abandoned course with baskets all around the property and it's great because I take the guys I work with out to play all the time but it's in any registry that it was a course,I think it just was put here but it plays well.

We speak the King's English here, good sir.

Oh, I actually have one.

There's an old abandoned Motorola HQ in Northern IL. We went there to scope it out and see if we could get inside. Turned out there was a 4 hole course on the grounds for the employees. We played it.

You're pretty much correct that damn near every small town in Iowa has a 9 hole course anymore. They just keep popping up. The most recent one was in a podunk town in NE Iowa with a population around 1500 people and was designed by McCabe.

I actually added that course to DGCR, I need to add photos yet though. There is actually 2 other 9 hole courses pretty close to that 1 as well, not to mention a friend's private course that is NOT listed here. And while the town is probably 1500 people, it's part of Dubuque County which has 80,000 but is sorely lacking another course in addition to our 18 hole DeLaIowa course, Veteren's Memorial. ;)

When I first picked up disc golf my friend and I found one on the outskirts of LA County. PDGA and DGC have it listed as established in 2009, but I think I played it back in 2001-02ish. Saw some baskets off the road. Can't even remember why we were up there... maybe to drink by the lake, because there is nothing out there: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3667&mode=ci

I've found / added 5 or 6 courses this year. If they're private, I'll add a contact number to the course description, in case a frolfer might have the decency to ask permission to use the course.

Couple (maybe more, idk) years ago while driving from one course to another my buddy spotted a basket on a school property in the small town we were going through. We stopped to check it out. All 9 holes had homemade baskets, and it played around the various fields at the school. I [of course] checked DGCR and it wasn't on there. It's been added since (not by me). It's a neat little course. I recall a couple strange/unnecessary blind holes... anyway.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/mobile/course.php?id=7827

No, but I've gotten to play some before they were listed and found one on Udisc that weren't on here and added it.

I actually added that course to DGCR, I need to add photos yet though. There is actually 2 other 9 hole courses pretty close to that 1 as well, not to mention a friend's private course that is NOT listed here. And while the town is probably 1500 people, it's part of Dubuque County which has 80,000 but is sorely lacking another course in addition to our 18 hole DeLaIowa course, Veteren's Memorial. ;)

Hey...take no offense to me calling it podunk...I grew up in Hamilton county where there are two nine-hole courses now. And the population of Hamilton county is only 15,000 :D

Latest posts