• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever think Augmented Reality Disc Golf will be a thing?

itsRudy

Par Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
With the preview of the Apple Vision Pro -- which I think looks simultaneously creepy, way too expensive and overpriced, cool, and really creepy again, and probably will be a flop imo, I've been wondering this old thought. Been on my mind a long time, ever since I saw the advent and downfall of the Nintendo Virtual Boy and many VR sets since then. It's an idea that fails and fails again but big tech keeps trying.

You ever think AR Disc Golf will be a thing? Not virtual reality or video game, rather playing on your local course and having video game additions overlaid on top. Think not just mandos, but hoops in the sky as mando or bonus points, virtual trees for lines that can virtually fall your discs and dictate lie, bald eagles that pluck random thrown discs and fly off and drop them somewhere as a lie, virtual water like a moat perimeter around C1, tiny T-rexes that start attacking if you take too long, and way more than my imagination can conjure at the moment.

What would be the point? Probably after 500 rounds on the same local courses, just a change. That's all. I tried video game DG, but it don't interest me cause I'd rather play a more interesting game or real DG. But AR might be different.

If I could get $500 googles and a program that does it automagically with reliability and consitency, in say 5-10 years, would be worth a try.

I could eventually see something similar to the holodeck of Star Trek fame where players perhaps throw Nerf type discs so the sensors can determine your power, angle and spin on release, but the discs fly short distances and don't damage anyone or anything nearby.

With ball golf simulators you hit a regulation ball into a video screen and see the full flight and everything. Plus you can "play" the top courses in the world.
I would think that the same thing could be done for disc golf using actual discs. I don't think you would need to use nerf or foam discs.

With ball golf simulators you hit a regulation ball into a video screen and see the full flight and everything. Plus you can "play" the top courses in the world.
I would think that the same thing could be done for disc golf using actual discs. I don't think you would need to use nerf or foam discs.
The systems developer would design for nerf discs so these systems could be sold to home owners, not just to commercial facilities like ball golf experiences. I think we'll eventually have a stage area in our homes with electronic equipment for creating a variety of 3D holographic experiences.

Why play alone? With our AR technology, you can play rounds with your buddies around the world! Complete with Fortnite-style skins and dances.

[If more than 4 players to a group, each avatar will gain a can of Steel Reserve for greater authenticity.]

Maybe not for use on a course. But if, when, AR really becomes affordable and feasible, I could see using it for field work. Image going to a field with your discs and an AR headset. You could have the headset show a hole you struggle with and practice that hole over and over. You wouldn't be interfering with other players trying to play the hole....and you wouldn't lose discs as they would be in the open field. Throwing over water would be easy to practice, making mandos, tight lines between trees, and more would all be available for practicing at your leisure.

There are some video games that emulate physical sports like Fifa or Dirt Rally. Playing Fifa is not like kicking a ball around, it does not work as a simulation of playing football as football is not stationary. Dirt Rally is more like driving a car, than Fifa is like kicking a ball, it works because people sit in a chair driving a car as well. The vast majority of video games is something entirely else and has nothing to do with physical sports.

Continuing this analogy I think we will have games that emulate physical sports in AR as well. It will have racing games and flight sims on the forefront, getting ever more realistic. For sports like discgolf the devs will find some fun mechanic to make an enjoyable discgolf game in AR. Maybe we can dictate the angle of attack and velocity moving our hands with some way, but I don't think we will actually do a throwing motion.

There are some video games that emulate physical sports like Fifa or Dirt Rally. Playing Fifa is not like kicking a ball around, it does not work as a simulation of playing football as football is not stationary. Dirt Rally is more like driving a car, than Fifa is like kicking a ball, it works because people sit in a chair driving a car as well. The vast majority of video games is something entirely else and has nothing to do with physical sports.

Continuing this analogy I think we will have games that emulate physical sports in AR as well. It will have racing games and flight sims on the forefront, getting ever more realistic. For sports like discgolf the devs will find some fun mechanic to make an enjoyable discgolf game in AR. Maybe we can dictate the angle of attack and velocity moving our hands with some way, but I don't think we will actually do a throwing motion.

Regarding the bolded part....why not? There are already consoles that allow arm movement. Nintendo Wii is one example. I have played the Tiger Wood's golf game on the Wii and that allows you to swing the Wii controller like a golf club....there's even a plastic club you can attach the Wii controller to...not totally the same thing as a real club, but you can make the same swing. So why not AR accepting an actual throwing motion?

I think augmented reality use on a disc golf course is likely in the future.

It could very much be used to bring in hole data, placing a heads-up display directly in your field of vision. Besides basic hole number/feet to pin/ob, it could be used to show the pin location on a blind hole, or highlight mandos, among other things. To your point, it could bring in a virtual arcade-like experience to a course, as well, not dissimilar to a Top Golf-type experience.

The key will be the advancement of the equipment. Current AR/VR-type goggles won't work of course; the AR experience would need to be on a platform that fits like a pair of glasses/sunglasses, or even contact lenses. This is could occur in the next decade+ I suppose, maybe a little longer, considering getting the technology to a palatable price point, where they would be as common as cell phones are right now.

Regarding the bolded part....why not? There are already consoles that allow arm movement. Nintendo Wii is one example. I have played the Tiger Wood's golf game on the Wii and that allows you to swing the Wii controller like a golf club....there's even a plastic club you can attach the Wii controller to...not totally the same thing as a real club, but you can make the same swing. So why not AR accepting an actual throwing motion?

Swinging a device around so the game translates it into a throw would work. Having this device capture the actual speed of your swing should be possible. But only very few people would enjoy doing an actual throwing motion in their living room, playing a disc golf game. This is possible without AR even and the Wii games have resorted to just use the controller to capture rough motions. I just don't see it being enjoyable.

I am not too well versed in golf games. Do people play them doing actual swings? I could imagine that working out for golf a whole lot better as it is more stationary than disc golf.

The systems developer would design for nerf discs so these systems could be sold to home owners, not just to commercial facilities like ball golf experiences. I think we'll eventually have a stage area in our homes with electronic equipment for creating a variety of 3D holographic experiences.
Don't people use their own clubs and balls in golf simulators? I think it's important that playing one builds on the other, rather than looking like the same thing in theory, but "feeling" like a different beast in practice.

IMHO, the problem with nerf-type discs would be how different they feel in the hand from regular discs, not to mention how much lighter they'd probably be. It would be so much better if you used the same discs as you do on a real course. That way, your arm speed and release would be fairly consistent.

I appreciate the need to keep costs down to make home use feasible, but if playing the augmented reality version has a very different tactile feel and your throw is simply different throwing nerf than plastic, I could see it making detracting from really DG as well as the virtual experience.

Just my $0.02.

Don't people use their own clubs and balls in golf simulators? I think it's important that playing one builds on the other, rather than looking like the same thing in theory, but "feeling" like a different beast in practice.

IMHO, the problem with nerf-type discs would be how different they feel in the hand from regular discs, not to mention how much lighter they'd probably be. It would be so much better if you used the same discs as you do on a real course. That way, your arm speed and release would be fairly consistent.

I appreciate the need to keep costs down to make home use feasible, but if playing the augmented reality version has a very different tactile feel and your throw is simply different throwing nerf than plastic, I could see it making detracting from really DG as well as the virtual experience.

Just my $0.02.

It would not be as useful as a trainer for actual DG, but still might be fun.

But, following the golf simulator route as you mentioned could be a way to prep for a course. The problem would come in that observing 10 ish feet of flight doesn't tell you much about where a disc is going unless you understand that particular disc's characteristics.

I suppose you could provide ratings for the disc you are throwing to fill in variables that could help make the prediction more accurate.

To be clear, since there seems to be some confusion: while related, augmented reality isn't DG simulation in a room or virtual reality, per se, which some posts are describing. You would be going to your local course and could be (preferably) throwing your own discs*. AR would Augment reality, not supplant it.

It could be as little as an overheads display showing score, an arrow to basket, maybe possible lines. Or it adds game elements like hoops in the sky to hit for bonus distance. If it's adding elements, it would track your disc as thrown but possibly change lie as punishment or reward.

Anyway, that's how I conceive it. It could be done a dozen different ways.

Here is one showcasse of AR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN95nNDtxjo

or another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8TQLiIVguk

This is all in its infancy so it's gonna be really unpolished.

* You might not be throwing your own disc, depending how tracking it implemented, but having to use propietary ones would defeat the entire purpose for me.

Last edited:
To be clear, since there seems to be some confusion: while related, augmented reality isn't DG simulation in a room or virtual reality, per se, which some posts are describing. You would be going to your local course and could be (preferably) throwing your own discs*. AR would Augment reality, not supplant it.

It could be as little as an overheads display showing score, an arrow to basket, maybe possible lines. Or it adds game elements like hoops in the sky to hit for bonus distance. If it's adding elements, it would track your disc as thrown but possibly change lie as punishment or reward.

Anyway, that's how I conceive it. It could be done a dozen different ways.

Here is one showcasse of AR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN95nNDtxjo

or another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8TQLiIVguk

This is all in its infancy so it's gonna be really unpolished.

* You might not be throwing your own disc, depending how tracking it implemented, but having to use propietary ones would defeat the entire purpose for me.

Thanks for breaking it down. Makes sense.

I was thinking along the lines of a simulator and throwing in to a net. There are different ways to create a 3d model of a physical area.

Could create such a model of entire courses and then use that in the simulator.

Wouldn't be cheap, but it might not be too unrealistic as an extension of existing simulators like the ball golf stuff.

Swinging a device around so the game translates it into a throw would work. Having this device capture the actual speed of your swing should be possible. But only very few people would enjoy doing an actual throwing motion in their living room, playing a disc golf game. This is possible without AR even and the Wii games have resorted to just use the controller to capture rough motions. I just don't see it being enjoyable.

I am not too well versed in golf games. Do people play them doing actual swings? I could imagine that working out for golf a whole lot better as it is more stationary than disc golf.

I don't really see this as a 'living room' thing. I used Wii and other consoles to show that there are already things that capture motion.

The ball golf games do allow you to use an actual swing motion....that was what I really liked about them and they have wind affect the ball just like it would in real life.

I see the future of Augmented Reality and disc golf as being used for fieldwork, like I mentioned in a previous post. Go to the field and instead of just throwing discs back and forth, you could be 'playing' a hole that you normally have issues with, or trying different shots. Just imagine, you go to your course and take a picture of a spot you have trouble with....lets say there's a tight line that you just cannot hit, or a triple mando, or a water carry....you take the picture, upload it to the AR site, and then go to the field with your AR glasses and play that shot over and over. You aren't interfering with other players and you won't lose discs (especially when practicing a water carry). Since AR overlays reality with a virtual things (like a virtual background), you would be able to throw your disc and see it's actual flight laid over the virtual background. Wouldn't that be amazing? The AR process wouldn't have to detect the disc, angle, speed, or anything else.....you would see the actual flight. It's just instead of seeing the disc fly over an open field, you'd see it fly over whatever virtual background you supplied.

Latest posts